Starbucks

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

Interview Details – Was done within the cafe.

Why Starbucks? Why this Starbucks? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Etc.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty simple.   Answer Question

Oceanside, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

Interview Details – Hired as Barista. Eventually, my SM/DM wanted to promote me. Within three weeks, I was running the floor

Interview Question – Giving specific examples of having to take ownership of an incident   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basic negotiation.

Concord, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

Interview Details – just make sure that you tell them you like to move around fast and you're a big fan of coffee.

Interview Question – can you work at 4am?   Answer Question

Augusta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

Interview Details – Store manager calls you in after submitting an application. Usually doesn't help to call the store. My manager has told me that has no effect on if he calls anyone or not. honestly it's better to just have a friend that works there that is in management then see if they'll help you out.

Interview Question – What do you like most about coffee?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You got the job here's your raise. it was sad.

Shift Supervisor

I applied in-person and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was simple and unintimidating. However, it seems more effective to walk into a Starbucks, and ask to speak with a shift supervisor or manager, and express your interest and qualifications than it does to quietly submit an application. The application review process was not a priority, especially as the location only hired one new barista every several months.

Negotiation Details – I interviewed with the company twice. When I originally took the position, and when I returned to work for the company after a 2-year hiatus for school. The first interview was great and the offer was fair. I was not satisfied that I was offered MUCH lower pay when I returned to work for the company than the pay I had reached 2 years prior.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Really easy to get this position. Anyone can get it.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You will not be able to negotiate your pay. It is fixed depending what county you are in.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

Interview Details – Great people, very easy going and open. Great sense of humor, overall very nice experience.

Interview Question – pretty obvious questions, no hidden traps   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – zero - here's what we offer, take it or leave it kind of deal

Shift Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – When I applied it took a month for them to contact me and set up an interview (I called three times in that month to ask about openings). The interview process was more relaxed than I had expected. It didn't feel like an interrogation like some do. I was hired that day about four hours after my interview and started two days later. It was very simple. Normal paperwork and training.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions that needed to be answered.   Answer Question

Tacoma, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very Easy behavior based interview

Interview Question – Name a time you had a conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Once they give you a number explain to them your experience and asked based on that is there a number that would be fair for you both.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – I applied online originally for a Barista position. There was also a Shift Supervisor position available so I applied for both, due to having past restaurant management experience. Once I sent my application, I received a phone call the very next day. They were doing a lot of interviews due to a new store opening within a month so they were hiring a lot of candidates at one time. I was scheduled with an interview two days later with store managers from different stores. The interview was very behavioral-based questions. "Tell me about a time..." sort of questions. Since I was applying for the shift supervisor position, a lot of questions were focusing more on leadership. Be prepared with answers about how you handle SPECIFIC situations. The interviewers are wanting a specific situation, the problem, how you handled it, and how it effected your future behavior. They really thrive on customer service and will ask you questions about this. It will help to know about the company, their mission statement, and why exactly you want to work for Starbucks. After the interview, the two interviewers were pleased with my answers and said they were going to recommend me for hire. A background check was conducted and I received a call within a week to start work.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you received unsolicited feedback from a superior. What was the feedback and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer from the District Manager after a second interview with him. I was doing an interview for a possible Assistant Store Manager position. Since I had 4 years of management experience, I received a higher than average hourly base pay, which I accepted. I'm not sure if this is standard with every Starbucks, or just based on the budget and the District Managers/ Store Managers of specific stores.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks