Starbucks Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

2.4

232 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

I thoroughly filled out the application online. I selected several different stores in our area for my application to be sent to.

I received a call to schedule an interview at one of the stores that was interested in hiring me.

I arrived at the interview and confidently introduced myself to the store manager. The store manager seemed to have been impressed with my approach. The interview was not hard. He did not ask me anything about whether or not I liked coffee. He actually seemed a little bit desperate for me to take the job. This particular store had been through some tough times and was very understaffed.

I got the job.

I couldn't really negotiate anything.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburg, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburg, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

It's pretty straight forward. Dress up nicely and don't forget to be uppity.
    The usual questions like, "what do you know about us?", "how did you hear of us hiring?", "what sets you apart from others?" etc. They really like it when you talk about being on time and being a hard worker. These qualities will keep you working there.
    You will be in or outside of the store. You will be asked out how you would deal with various types of customers and people. They will want you to lead the conversation at certain points. Be aware of your surroundings as well because they might want you to know about their customers and on the job conduct.

Interview Questions
    • What sets you apart from others?

What do you notice about our customers and workers?
        View Answer
    If you haven't worked before you're starting pay is almost always above minimum wage so don't try to push it more that small amounts. If you have worked in similar positions tell them about your previous pay and they will more than likely bring up your wage.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Two one-on-one interviews. Quick sign-on process. Mostly scenario questions. Not a very difficult interview. They ask if you like coffee and why Starbucks. I was honest and said I don't like coffee and choose Starbucks for the environment.

Interview Questions
    • "Explain a time in which you experienced conflict with a co-worker?"   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Was a regular customer and put in an application. Called store multiple times a week but hiring manager was never there. After leaving many messages about my application, i got a call about two weeks later to come in for an interview. They will offer free coffee of your store,always accept it. Was so scared i looked online for help with possible interview questions but Was asked very basic questions for my personal interview. Manager kept looking away, getting on her phone, and interrupting the interview to speak with customers full on. I felt it was very rude. She did throw a few jokes in there but otherwise stayed pretty serious. Was offered a full time job,and accepted. I started two days later with "training." Was told i would get adequate training, but in reality i am still trying to understand things because i have to learn by watching others while stuck on drive thru,also with no knowledge on how to work this. All of the employees said they learned this way as well.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic - Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Baristas here start at 7.45 an hour plus occassional tips on tuesdays.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online and introduced myself in-store. Got a call about a week later from a manager for an interview the next day. All behavioral questions. "How did you handle a customer criticizing you, how did you react?" "Tell me about a time you... Etc." Stress customer service as much as possible and try to keep answers under a minute but not too short, I aimed for about 30-45 seconds. Go longer on questions you think need it, but try to keep them short and to the point. Very friendly; take the free drink they offer you. Only 6-7 questions, the interviewer was the store manager. She was very professional, yet still friendly. Dressed business casual, neutral colored collared shirt, khaki pants. Job offer extended pending a background check at the end of the interview which I accepted. We sat outside which I think lightened the mood quite a bit. Seems like a great company so far. Unsure on negotiations or pay. She said that will be discussed after the background check.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time a customer criticized you on your work, how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you built a relationship with a customer and how did you do so?   Answer Question
    All will be discussed pending the background check.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Short, simple, and straight to the point. Starbucks does not drug test, they only do a background check. Just be yourself and try to smile. They're looking for folks who want to grow with the company. They're not looking for individuals looking for a quick buck.

Negotiate pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fullerton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fullerton, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Simple, why should we hire you? What do you know about coffee? What is your availability? all the basics. Do you go to school? Do you have family with the company? How many hours can you work a week? What do you like about Starbucks? Make sure you dress nice, talk clear, and talk with the manager, look them in the eye.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I submitted my application online, through the Starbucks website. It was easy and simple, but takes awhile, like most online applications do. I was able to pick 5 locations at which I was willing to work. I received a phone call a day or two later from Chris, a Starbucks Manager. He wanted to know if any other Starbucks Managers had contacted me. They hadn't.
    I interviewed in person soon after. The interview was informal - in the store at the tables with customers all around. It is rather nice that they offer you a free drink when you interview. The questions were basic. Why do you want to work for Starbucks? Because it's reliable and I can bike to it and coffee sounds fun and smells nice. Are you only interested in working for chain stores? No. Why is your availability only between these hours/do you even know what our store hours are? No I don't, actually! Is anything going to show up on your background check? No, there is nothing there. This question seemed to be his biggest concern. Starbucks conduct the background check soon after.
    I thought I interviewed horribly. I couldn't always hear the Manager, because the store is loud. I was slightly surprised to get the job - I guess they just want to know that you're not crazy and you're reliable. In this expensive area, it seems that these minimum wage positions may not have the largest worker pool to chose from.

Interview Questions
    Uh, as far as I know, there is no negotiation phase to a minimum wage Barista position.

Starbucks-Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

I was an employee referral. I submitted my application online. The store manager called me asking if I was available for an interview.

A week later, I walked in business casual. Stayed close to the walkway towards the back room until a barista approached me. Said my name and that I was here for the Store Manager for an interview. The SM offered me a drink. I accepted. We sat down in the lobby. It was slightly distracting with drinking being called out and rambunctious children. The interview took about 10-15 minutes. Asked me about my previous work experience. Ran through some typical interview questions, and if I was ok with cleaning bathrooms. Got my availability and information necessary for a background check.

a week later, I got a call for my first day of training and asked about attire.

Interview Questions
    • If I was ok with cleaning bathrooms and mopping floors was must unexpected. But it is something that everyone does.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Base pay typically off of experience. Degrees are irrelevant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clarksville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarksville, TN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

Stay persistent! Had to go by and meet with the manager a few times to get to the actual interview process. It was a one time 45 minute interview where we each drank a cup of coffee and talked about prior work experience and why you would want to work in coffee. Very laid back!

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer who got their coffee and then turned around and complained at you that it was made wrong, even if you did not make it yourself.   View Answer

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!