Starbucks

Average Difficulty
85 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – first is a phone interview with HR. This will just be basic questions about your experience and what you are looking for in a job. Then is a in person interview with two district managers. they will ask more in depth questions about your experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your performance.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with basic questions about past experience. Based mostly on personality and competence. Questions asked about past duties and difficulties and successes one has. Asked about readiness to learn and share knowledge with others. How one learns and how one would teach others.

Interview Question – Questions are straight forward and not difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Given a salary with very little negotiating room.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

Negotiation Details – When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – First step was an incredibly indepth interactive screening and assessment process, where candidates are given scenarios in which their reactions are elicited. There are P&L exercises that if without any prior knowledge or experience going in, you will be challenged - this portion was also timed. Next was a 45 minute phone interview with a company recruiter (who was late to the call). Interview heavily predicated on past experience and detailed questions regarding P&L. No questions asked regarding specific training or scenarios or skill set beyond P&L. Zero discussion of culture. Recruiter intimated that internal competition for available position was fierce and that outside candidates are more often than not, relegated to a lesser role in favor of internal hires, and that candidates had to be flexible in that regard. From there she proceeded to badger and lowball me on salary. Basically the recruiter did her best to talk me out of the position, and with that, I declined to finish the interview.

Interview Question – "If you arent able to master our business within 8 weeks of training, will you consider and assistant position?"   View Answer

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview Details – There was a telephone interview that was very structured and the in person interview was very laid back. They ask questions wanting you to give actionable examples of your experience. It was nothing too out of the ordinary. The biggest thing my interviewers kept focusing on was treating team members as people and having a humble approach to service.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – For management positions usually require 3 to 4 interviews, all behavioral based questions

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Interview Details – - Applied and immediately contacted recruiter through LinkedIn.
- Received response about a month later (I kept sending "interest" messages through LinkedIn) and scheduled initial phone interview with recruiter.
- Provided with link to complete a virtual job demonstration and decide whether I'd like to continue or not.
- After VJD, schedule panel interview with two DM's.

Panel interview consisted of behavioral type questions graded on a STAR (situation, task, action, response) model. Interview should last about 60 minutes. Mine lasted somewhat longer.

I was called back the next day to verify my salary requirements and driving range. I was given an informal offer with my exact salary requirements the next day. I was given a formal offer (after background cleared) two weeks later.

Interview Question – Only your standard behavioral questions with follow-on probes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I had a specific salary requirement. If it wasn't met I would have declined. They offered me what I asked for.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – make sure there are two people present. Sometimes perception is mistaken.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to lead a team to success   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – experience. No compensation for driving distance

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Interview process took a while - I think I had 4 interviews before it was all said and done. 2 face to face, and 2 over the phone.

Interview Question – None of the questions were too difficult, but were all experientially-based. (situation, action, result, and interesting fact/comment/etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quite simple, as they offered me more than I wanted!

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Tell me about a time that you saw an employee do something against policy and how did you handle it?
Talk to me about a P&L? What is your experience with it?
How do you handle an overly aggressive customer?

Interview Question – None. If your a manager by trade you will be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!