Starbucks

Getting the Interview

75 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Tell me about a time that you saw an employee do something against policy and how did you handle it?
Talk to me about a P&L? What is your experience with it?
How do you handle an overly aggressive customer?

Interview Question – None. If your a manager by trade you will be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, which includes a thorough assessment that you take outlining your ability to understand Starbucks knowledge, budgeting, P&L's, etc. A recruiter called for a 40 min phone interview, after which she emailed me and asked that I meet with a District Manager to interview the following week. That lasted 1.5 hours, and went very well. I wouldn't say it was a difficult interview, but definitely an in-depth one. Be prepared to speak on your ability to invest in people and help them grow, your product, training, and language knowledge of Starbucks as a company, and specific examples of how you show leadership discernment and your ability to lead. Also, you should know how to make money and run a store all around, as this is a publicly traded company, very much focused on profit. After this interview, he asked if I'd be willing to have one more interview via phone with a second DM, so that they could both give their "thumbs up" back to the recruiter. That happened the next day, and was very much a repeat of the in-person interview with the other DM. She went more in-depth on numbers and what my prior experience had been managing. I have a history of Starbucks through licensed stores, so I was able to edify my experience and also my excitement to pursue something with a company store. Good luck to anyone going the same route.. it's one worthy of your efforts if you want to grow under solid leadership and make a good salary. I was also able to negotiate salary. It's all in your choice of verbiage and professionalism. If you are an asset to them, they'll want to invest in you.

Interview Question – The questions asked were very much broken down into 3 direct ways to respond. Example: "Tell me about a time where your plans for a project did not happened as you'd planned. Describe the expected outcome, the actual outcome, and what your choice of response was."
Keep your responses business, profit, and training based, and you should be golden!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes, a little wiggle room.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – I was hired internally, from my former position as an assistant store manager. The company is looking for people who are excited, energetic, and passionate. The applicant should have a passion for the company, its customers, and store partners.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes. I had an upper hand because they needed a manager and I was open to moving to a store that had a negative history. I also had friends who told me what I should expect to get paid.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harrisburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2010.

Interview Details – Typically begins with an hour long phone interview, followed by a 1-2 hour first interview with prospecting DM, then a second 1-2 hour interview with another DM for approval. The whole process can take up to 4 weeks

Interview Question – typical interview questions, nothing worth noting   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was final, no room for negotiation

Store Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – The interviewing is done with situational questioning (i.e. Tell me about a time when you exceeded a customers expectations)

Interview Question – I don't recall anything difficult and the hiring managers will usually reword questions to suit your situation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate as an internal hire but external hires do have some wiggle room

Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went online and filled out the application, it was followed up by an assessment test online, approx 2 weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with a recruiter. After I had a follow up phone call with the recruiter to set up a face to face with a panel of district managers. This interview took approx 1 hour with 2 DM's, another follow up with a recruiter. I was than given a link to do a background check, this process took a little more than a week, with the background check needing lots of additional information such as pay stubs and W2's. I was given a letter via email with the job offer. Entire process took about a month.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just be very specific with the scenarios you are giving them. The recruiter gave some insight to be ready for the face to face interview. All behavioral style of questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they said the money offer was pulled based on what I put in when I applied online and my assessment test. I was very happy with the salary.

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – the interview was pretty simple, just explain what you did before this and why you want to work with us now. with prior experience, i had plenty of stories to tell.

Interview Question – no difficult questions, just be prepared to respond to behavior based interview questions. "tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with recruiter; 2 interviews with 2 DM; background and employment verification checks

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you didn't know the right answer or course of action to take.   Answer Question

Orange, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initially you fill out an application and then they send you a link to a "virtual" interview. Be prepared this interview will ask you for your response to various potential situations, then they challenge you math skills, which if you are applying for store manager should be expected. The questions pertain to P&L sheets and how you would change your teams goals to meet projections. Afterwards you complete a section which reminds me of a personality test, which it probably is, which would you categorize yourself as... so on and so forth.

Interview Question – The math portion is timed and worded so that you have to think... have a ten key ready and some scratch paper.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then interview with the District manager. The phone interview lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, the district manager interview lasted about an hour. Asked a lot of what would you do, tell me about a time and experience related questions. Unfortunately, I was not hired, they decided to promote someone within the company. Had I been offered the position I would've took it.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience with a difficult employee or customer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 75 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.