Starbucks

Updated Jan 2, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Store Manager Interview

I was hired internally, from my former position as an assistant store manager. The company is looking for people who are excited, energetic, and passionate. The applicant should have a passion for the company, its customers, and store partners.

Interview Questions
    Yes. I had an upper hand because they needed a manager and I was open to moving to a store that had a negative history. I also had friends who told me what I should expect to get paid.

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Starbucks.

The interviewing is done with situational questioning (i.e. Tell me about a time when you exceeded a customers expectations)

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall anything difficult and the hiring managers will usually reword questions to suit your situation   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate as an internal hire but external hires do have some wiggle room

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

the interview was pretty simple, just explain what you did before this and why you want to work with us now. with prior experience, i had plenty of stories to tell.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions, just be prepared to respond to behavior based interview questions. "tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question
    none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

I applied online, which includes a thorough assessment that you take outlining your ability to understand Starbucks knowledge, budgeting, P&L's, etc. A recruiter called for a 40 min phone interview, after which she emailed me and asked that I meet with a District Manager to interview the following week. That lasted 1.5 hours, and went very well. I wouldn't say it was a difficult interview, but definitely an in-depth one. Be prepared to speak on your ability to invest in people and help them grow, your product, training, and language knowledge of Starbucks as a company, and specific examples of how you show leadership discernment and your ability to lead. Also, you should know how to make money and run a store all around, as this is a publicly traded company, very much focused on profit. After this interview, he asked if I'd be willing to have one more interview via phone with a second DM, so that they could both give their "thumbs up" back to the recruiter. That happened the next day, and was very much a repeat of the in-person interview with the other DM. She went more in-depth on numbers and what my prior experience had been managing. I have a history of Starbucks through licensed stores, so I was able to edify my experience and also my excitement to pursue something with a company store. Good luck to anyone going the same route.. it's one worthy of your efforts if you want to grow under solid leadership and make a good salary. I was also able to negotiate salary. It's all in your choice of verbiage and professionalism. If you are an asset to them, they'll want to invest in you.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were very much broken down into 3 direct ways to respond. Example: "Tell me about a time where your plans for a project did not happened as you'd planned. Describe the expected outcome, the actual outcome, and what your choice of response was."
      Keep your responses business, profit, and training based, and you should be golden!

Answer Question
    yes, a little wiggle room.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

- Applied and immediately contacted recruiter through LinkedIn.
    - Received response about a month later (I kept sending "interest" messages through LinkedIn) and scheduled initial phone interview with recruiter.
    - Provided with link to complete a virtual job demonstration and decide whether I'd like to continue or not.
    - After VJD, schedule panel interview with two DM's.

Panel interview consisted of behavioral type questions graded on a STAR (situation, task, action, response) model. Interview should last about 60 minutes. Mine lasted somewhat longer.

I was called back the next day to verify my salary requirements and driving range. I was given an informal offer with my exact salary requirements the next day. I was given a formal offer (after background cleared) two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Only your standard behavioral questions with follow-on probes.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. I had a specific salary requirement. If it wasn't met I would have declined. They offered me what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

I went online and filled out the application, it was followed up by an assessment test online, approx 2 weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with a recruiter. After I had a follow up phone call with the recruiter to set up a face to face with a panel of district managers. This interview took approx 1 hour with 2 DM's, another follow up with a recruiter. I was than given a link to do a background check, this process took a little more than a week, with the background check needing lots of additional information such as pay stubs and W2's. I was given a letter via email with the job offer. Entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just be very specific with the scenarios you are giving them. The recruiter gave some insight to be ready for the face to face interview. All behavioral style of questions.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, they said the money offer was pulled based on what I put in when I applied online and my assessment test. I was very happy with the salary.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Phone interview, then interview with the District manager. The phone interview lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, the district manager interview lasted about an hour. Asked a lot of what would you do, tell me about a time and experience related questions. Unfortunately, I was not hired, they decided to promote someone within the company. Had I been offered the position I would've took it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an experience with a difficult employee or customer?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

For a position in operations it is best to make direct contact with the hiring manager once you have submitted an application online. Do some research beforehand and find out what the availability needs of particular stores are, keeping in mind that being available either early, late, and on weekends is almost always a requirement. Questions are behavioral, "tell me about a time when..." so be ready with stories were you succeeed or failed and learned from the experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you failed to meet a customer expectation.   Answer Question
    There was none; they state what they'll hire you at and you can either accept or not.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

HR recruiter phone interview then a panel with 2 district managers