Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.9

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Tell me about a time that you saw an employee do something against policy and how did you handle it?
Talk to me about a P&L? What is your experience with it?
How do you handle an overly aggressive customer?

Interview Questions
  • None. If your a manager by trade you will be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Store Manager Interview

I was hired internally, from my former position as an assistant store manager. The company is looking for people who are excited, energetic, and passionate. The applicant should have a passion for the company, its customers, and store partners.

Interview Questions
    Yes. I had an upper hand because they needed a manager and I was open to moving to a store that had a negative history. I also had friends who told me what I should expect to get paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

I applied online, which includes a thorough assessment that you take outlining your ability to understand Starbucks knowledge, budgeting, P&L's, etc. A recruiter called for a 40 min phone interview, after which she emailed me and asked that I meet with a District Manager to interview the following week. That lasted 1.5 hours, and went very well. I wouldn't say it was a difficult interview, but definitely an in-depth one. Be prepared to speak on your ability to invest in people and help them grow, your product, training, and language knowledge of Starbucks as a company, and specific examples of how you show leadership discernment and your ability to lead. Also, you should know how to make money and run a store all around, as this is a publicly traded company, very much focused on profit. After this interview, he asked if I'd be willing to have one more interview via phone with a second DM, so that they could both give their "thumbs up" back to the recruiter. That happened the next day, and was very much a repeat of the in-person interview with the other DM. She went more in-depth on numbers and what my prior experience had been managing. I have a history of Starbucks through licensed stores, so I was able to edify my experience and also my excitement to pursue something with a company store. Good luck to anyone going the same route.. it's one worthy of your efforts if you want to grow under solid leadership and make a good salary. I was also able to negotiate salary. It's all in your choice of verbiage and professionalism. If you are an asset to them, they'll want to invest in you.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were very much broken down into 3 direct ways to respond. Example: "Tell me about a time where your plans for a project did not happened as you'd planned. Describe the expected outcome, the actual outcome, and what your choice of response was."
      Keep your responses business, profit, and training based, and you should be golden!
        Answer Question
    yes, a little wiggle room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2010.

Typically begins with an hour long phone interview, followed by a 1-2 hour first interview with prospecting DM, then a second 1-2 hour interview with another DM for approval. The whole process can take up to 4 weeks

Interview Questions
    The offer was final, no room for negotiation

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Starbucks.

The interviewing is done with situational questioning (i.e. Tell me about a time when you exceeded a customers expectations)

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall anything difficult and the hiring managers will usually reword questions to suit your situation   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate as an internal hire but external hires do have some wiggle room

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

I went online and filled out the application, it was followed up by an assessment test online, approx 2 weeks later I was contacted for a phone interview with a recruiter. After I had a follow up phone call with the recruiter to set up a face to face with a panel of district managers. This interview took approx 1 hour with 2 DM's, another follow up with a recruiter. I was than given a link to do a background check, this process took a little more than a week, with the background check needing lots of additional information such as pay stubs and W2's. I was given a letter via email with the job offer. Entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just be very specific with the scenarios you are giving them. The recruiter gave some insight to be ready for the face to face interview. All behavioral style of questions.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, they said the money offer was pulled based on what I put in when I applied online and my assessment test. I was very happy with the salary.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

the interview was pretty simple, just explain what you did before this and why you want to work with us now. with prior experience, i had plenty of stories to tell.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions, just be prepared to respond to behavior based interview questions. "tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question
    none

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Phone Interview with recruiter; 2 interviews with 2 DM; background and employment verification checks

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't know the right answer or course of action to take.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Initially you fill out an application and then they send you a link to a "virtual" interview. Be prepared this interview will ask you for your response to various potential situations, then they challenge you math skills, which if you are applying for store manager should be expected. The questions pertain to P&L sheets and how you would change your teams goals to meet projections. Afterwards you complete a section which reminds me of a personality test, which it probably is, which would you categorize yourself as... so on and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • The math portion is timed and worded so that you have to think... have a ten key ready and some scratch paper.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Phone interview, then interview with the District manager. The phone interview lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, the district manager interview lasted about an hour. Asked a lot of what would you do, tell me about a time and experience related questions. Unfortunately, I was not hired, they decided to promote someone within the company. Had I been offered the position I would've took it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an experience with a difficult employee or customer?   Answer Question