Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

For management positions usually require 3 to 4 interviews, all behavioral based questions

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Denver, CO) in May 2014.

Interview

First step was an incredibly indepth interactive screening and assessment process, where candidates are given scenarios in which their reactions are elicited. There are P&L exercises that if without any prior knowledge or experience going in, you will be challenged - this portion was also timed. Next was a 45 minute phone interview with a company recruiter (who was late to the call). Interview heavily predicated on past experience and detailed questions regarding P&L. No questions asked regarding specific training or scenarios or skill set beyond P&L. Zero discussion of culture. Recruiter intimated that internal competition for available position was fierce and that outside candidates are more often than not, relegated to a lesser role in favor of internal hires, and that candidates had to be flexible in that regard. From there she proceeded to badger and lowball me on salary. Basically the recruiter did her best to talk me out of the position, and with that, I declined to finish the interview.

Interview Questions

• "If you arent able to master our business within 8 weeks of training, will you consider and assistant position?"   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

make sure there are two people present. Sometimes perception is mistaken.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to lead a team to success   Answer Question

Negotiation

experience. No compensation for driving distance

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Interview process took a while - I think I had 4 interviews before it was all said and done. 2 face to face, and 2 over the phone.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were too difficult, but were all experientially-based. (situation, action, result, and interesting fact/comment/etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Quite simple, as they offered me more than I wanted!

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Tell me about a time that you saw an employee do something against policy and how did you handle it?
    Talk to me about a P&L? What is your experience with it?
    How do you handle an overly aggressive customer?

Interview Questions

• None. If your a manager by trade you will be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

Negotiation

When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

I was hired internally, from my former position as an assistant store manager. The company is looking for people who are excited, energetic, and passionate. The applicant should have a passion for the company, its customers, and store partners.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes. I had an upper hand because they needed a manager and I was open to moving to a store that had a negative history. I also had friends who told me what I should expect to get paid.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

The interviewing is done with situational questioning (i.e. Tell me about a time when you exceeded a customers expectations)

Interview Questions

• I don't recall anything difficult and the hiring managers will usually reword questions to suit your situation   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate as an internal hire but external hires do have some wiggle room

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

the interview was pretty simple, just explain what you did before this and why you want to work with us now. with prior experience, i had plenty of stories to tell.

Interview Questions

• no difficult questions, just be prepared to respond to behavior based interview questions. "tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks (Atlanta, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online, which includes a thorough assessment that you take outlining your ability to understand Starbucks knowledge, budgeting, P&L's, etc. A recruiter called for a 40 min phone interview, after which she emailed me and asked that I meet with a District Manager to interview the following week. That lasted 1.5 hours, and went very well. I wouldn't say it was a difficult interview, but definitely an in-depth one. Be prepared to speak on your ability to invest in people and help them grow, your product, training, and language knowledge of Starbucks as a company, and specific examples of how you show leadership discernment and your ability to lead. Also, you should know how to make money and run a store all around, as this is a publicly traded company, very much focused on profit. After this interview, he asked if I'd be willing to have one more interview via phone with a second DM, so that they could both give their "thumbs up" back to the recruiter. That happened the next day, and was very much a repeat of the in-person interview with the other DM. She went more in-depth on numbers and what my prior experience had been managing. I have a history of Starbucks through licensed stores, so I was able to edify my experience and also my excitement to pursue something with a company store. Good luck to anyone going the same route.. it's one worthy of your efforts if you want to grow under solid leadership and make a good salary. I was also able to negotiate salary. It's all in your choice of verbiage and professionalism. If you are an asset to them, they'll want to invest in you.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were very much broken down into 3 direct ways to respond. Example: "Tell me about a time where your plans for a project did not happened as you'd planned. Describe the expected outcome, the actual outcome, and what your choice of response was."
      Keep your responses business, profit, and training based, and you should be golden!

Answer Question

Negotiation

yes, a little wiggle room.