Starbucks

Average Difficulty
84 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was promoted internally but still interviewed. The interview for management is typically a panel of 3-4 people who take turns asking questions. The questions are behavior based so be prepared to recall scenarios from past experiences. They're looking for energetic people who are goal oriented and results driven.

Interview Question – Describing a situation where you were made a mistake at work, etc. Generally just very specific situations. They're looking for lots of elaborations and examples. They're looking for SARI in each answer: the Situation, Action-what you did, R-results, I-interesting feature.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2010.

Interview Details – Application process includes a P&L activity/online testing, HR phone screen, panel interview, background check.

Interview Question – All questions were specifically designed to illicit specific examples of times in your career.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR and I went back and forth about salary a little. In the end, I settled for 49,500. The bonus structure is quarterly but it is contingent upon the % to sales plan so if you are placed in an under-performing store you might not get much of a bonus. The least I saw was 800 but I averaged about 1500 a quarter.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Area Recruiter. In person interview with 2 District managers -both were in the room at the same time.
It lasted for about an hour.
Not too intense, regular interview with behavioral questions and specific examples.
They won't probe you for more information if they are looking for more-so be ready to read their expressions and respond accordingly.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a job expectation-what happened, how did you overcome that, and what did it look like later when you met that expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiation. Tried and was denied.

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was emailed by recruiter to apply for the position. Pretty quick process , lees than 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Give us stories. We want the stories.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process is great but once you hit the training there is no body en charge to train you and all is about the DM likes you or not. Need very cultural and business paradigm shift. They may have 21000 stores today but no guarantee for tomorrow.

Interview Question – Expired foods are encouraed to be sold after two days (breakfast sandwichs, ice coffee are very expired more than ten hours, cleanliness is is a concern for two times a year till they pass a QASA assesments ... etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nothing to this company

Kansas City, MO

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2009.

Interview Details – After applied a Starbucks recruiter called. After a short call discussing what the job requirements where, there was quesitons about experience. Could days later got a call for an interivew with 2 District Managers. This interview was 2 hours, going through just about everything you could imagine. I went through a background check and drug screen and was offered the job.

Interview Question – The best way to describe the tough questions was that the coffee shop mentality is the key. Very nice and well spoken people is what they hire. The retail hard core business aspect is not what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, did get a higher wage after I said I needed more.

Wilmington, NC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2009.

Interview Details – This process for good. The application is easy and approachable. The interview process could be somewhat streamlined 2-3-4 interviews for a store position not really necessary unless for management. I think Baristas do not always give the best answers as they do not realize that the behavioral questions are meant to be open ended and that you are looking for actual example of how they responded. They look at it as well maybe I would do this type of answer.

Interview Question – I didn't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Well versed in customer service and ethics. I think more "what ifs" or situational questions would be more advantageous to the company. If is hard when most Baristas are new to the career market.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO negation at all. This is the offer take it or leave it.

Very Difficult Interview

Tracy, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Progressive interviewing process at Starbucks. You can have between 3 and 4 interviews, all ranging from other Store Managers, to District Managers up to the Regional Manager. You may even have a panel interview. The questions asked are mostly scenario focusing on behavioral and situational responses. Being able to give examples as to what approach you may have taken in the scenario, how responsive you were with your actions and then being able to give an example as to the results of your actions. There are a minimum of FIVE areas they ask you questions in regards to, ranging from leadership, development, working with others, customers and attaining results.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, which would you be and why?   View Answer

Chandler, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral Interviewing.

Interview Question – Just to be very detailed when answering questions... Things that you have actually worked through.   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview day saw more applicants than the interviewing managers initially expected. That was confirmed by the person interviewing me.

It was mostly behavioral questions. A time when you encountered a problem. A time when you worked with or lead a team successfully.

Interview Question – How did you effectively work with a team?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks