Starbucks Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

2.9

Store Manager Interview

For a position in operations it is best to make direct contact with the hiring manager once you have submitted an application online. Do some research beforehand and find out what the availability needs of particular stores are, keeping in mind that being available either early, late, and on weekends is almost always a requirement. Questions are behavioral, "tell me about a time when..." so be ready with stories were you succeeed or failed and learned from the experience.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you failed to meet a customer expectation.   Answer Question
There was none; they state what they'll hire you at and you can either accept or not.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

HR recruiter phone interview then a panel with 2 district managers

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Initially you fill out an application and then they send you a link to a "virtual" interview. Be prepared this interview will ask you for your response to various potential situations, then they challenge you math skills, which if you are applying for store manager should be expected. The questions pertain to P&L sheets and how you would change your teams goals to meet projections. Afterwards you complete a section which reminds me of a personality test, which it probably is, which would you categorize yourself as... so on and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • The math portion is timed and worded so that you have to think... have a ten key ready and some scratch paper.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Phone interview with Area Recruiter. In person interview with 2 District managers -both were in the room at the same time.
    It lasted for about an hour.
    Not too intense, regular interview with behavioral questions and specific examples.
    They won't probe you for more information if they are looking for more-so be ready to read their expressions and respond accordingly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a job expectation-what happened, how did you overcome that, and what did it look like later when you met that expectation.   Answer Question
    Zero negotiation. Tried and was denied.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2013.

Was emailed by recruiter to apply for the position. Pretty quick process , lees than 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Progressive interviewing process at Starbucks. You can have between 3 and 4 interviews, all ranging from other Store Managers, to District Managers up to the Regional Manager. You may even have a panel interview. The questions asked are mostly scenario focusing on behavioral and situational responses. Being able to give examples as to what approach you may have taken in the scenario, how responsive you were with your actions and then being able to give an example as to the results of your actions. There are a minimum of FIVE areas they ask you questions in regards to, ranging from leadership, development, working with others, customers and attaining results.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an animal, which would you be and why?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

There was a telephone interview that was very structured and the in person interview was very laid back. They ask questions wanting you to give actionable examples of your experience. It was nothing too out of the ordinary. The biggest thing my interviewers kept focusing on was treating team members as people and having a humble approach to service.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

The interview day saw more applicants than the interviewing managers initially expected. That was confirmed by the person interviewing me.

It was mostly behavioral questions. A time when you encountered a problem. A time when you worked with or lead a team successfully.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Was initially required to take on in depth management assessment regarding skills and capabilities. It focused on customer service skills, coaching behaviors in random scenarios, and p&l management exercises. After passing the assessment I was contacted by the regional recruiter for the company and conducted a phone interview. Following the phone screening I was interviewed a second time in person by two district managers and then had a final interview with the area director.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a 30-60-90 day action plan for an underperforming location and how you would gauge the effectiveness of your progress?   View Answer
    They asked what I was looking for and I told them my desired salary range. They called me back the next day and made an offer within the midpoint of that range. Smooth sailing. Good people that care about your success and wellbeing.

Store Manager Interview

all questions will be behavioral based, and will begin with " tell me about a time when…" give a thorough example explaining the situation, the task at hand, the action you took, and the result. STAR= Situation Task Action Result- almost all retail interviews look for an answer that hits all 4 metrics.

Interview Questions
    DMs do not expect you to negotiate, especially if you were promoted internally. When I was promoted from asst to store manager I rejected the offer and negotiated for a higher salary and was told afterwards by my dm that I was the first person to negotiate in his 6 years with the company!