Starbucks

Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.4

61 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks.

I was in the store that hired me almost everyday as a regular customer. In fact, I was there so often that the manager asked me if I wanted to work there one day when they were short staffed on the floor. Stores are ALWAYS having issues with staffing turnover and good partner retention due to the fact that barista jobs are temporary/transitional in the minds of almost everyone that applies to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you received unexpected, critical feedback about your performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2014.

I applied online numerous times on the Starbucks website. A manager finally called me on the phone. She offered me an in person interview and let me choose a date and time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

I submitted a paper application (they only do online applications now), and then followed up in person a couple of times after a few days. I was given a VERY casual interview by the assistant manager, then received a phone call later that day for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was also very casual. I was mostly asked about previous customer service experience, what my schedule was like, and when I could start working.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a very difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I was basically told the starting pay rate for a barista (this was in 2004) was $7.00/hr not including tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online on Monday then called. I keep calling every day until the hiring manger told me she would not be able to check until Friday. I called on Friday and she said to give her a few minuets to look over my application and then she would call me back. she called me back five minuets later and then scheduled me an interview the fallowing Monday.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Well I walked in, was told to sit down. Waited for forever till the manager came out. He had a sloppy notebook with a bunch of notes in it. The whole time he asked me questions I came back with very informed answers. I had researched a lot, and went in with a great and personable attitude, expecting great things. As I talked to him, I noticed him looking away a LOT. Looking around the store, very ADD like. It was annoying. I ended up leaving not even wanting the job. Shook his hand and never went back. He was extremely rude and had an attitude when he did speak.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online to several Starbucks within a certain area, got a call from my first choice a couple days later. Came in for an interview the next day, dressed nice but casual. Staff and manager were very friendly and informal, they offered me a free drink and we just had the interview at a table in the corner. Questions were to be expected - what I hope to gain from working at Starbucks, past experience with customer service, give an example of a time I had to deal with an unhappy customer/conflict, etc. This was my first real customer service-oriented job so some questions did not apply all that well to me, but I did my best to talk about another experience that seemed relevant (like conflict resolution in a group project at school) and the manager was fine with this. I had applied for a part time summer job, and was offered on the spot after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time when you received unexpected criticism, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Very conversational. The longer the interviewer the better. The interviewer did not ask a billion questions, they just want to get to know WHO you are. They do offer you a coffee. Always accept, but do not make it to complicated. If you do not like coffee or have never tried it, ask for a blonde roast or a caramel machiatto.

None available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Got a call from hiring place, and they told me to come for an interview. Got interviewed by the manager and got the job on the spot. Went through 2 weeks of training then i started the job.

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate, took salary and worked.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I applied online and the next morning I got a call from the store manager. She left a message asking me to call back for a phone interview. I called back and was invited to come in the next evening for an in-person interview. When I arrived I was told the girl who was supposed to interview me wasn't able to that night and that I needed to return the following evening. I was given a free drink and asked a few questions informally (what is my experience, why Starbucks, etc.) and then left about 15 minutes later. The following evening I returned for my official interview and was there for about 35 minutes. She asked me VERY basic interview questions - describe yourself, what kind of experience do you have, why Starbucks, what would you do with an upset customer, what would you do if you couldn't get along with a coworker. Nothing out of the ordinary. I got a call back about a week later to get more information so they could do a background check and then another week later they called to offer me the job and have me come in to do some official paperwork stuff.

No negotiation. Offered me a rate of $7.60 an hour, told me tips average out to about another $1/hour. Also told me that after 6 months I will be reviewed by management and if all goes well they will raise it to $8/hour (so about $9/hour with tips).