Starbucks

Average Difficulty
74 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spokane, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – There were two managers there that I had previously talked to about an interview. When I first arrived they didn't have my resumes that I sent them a week before, but I did bring extras so I handed them each one. Began with the basic questions "Tell me about yourself" and "why starbucks" Now I graduated with an ME degree but Im working on a startup in my spare time so I wasnt looking for an engineering job, but they seemed to be very skeptical about this. I tried to talk heavily about my customer service experience and communication skills and the fact I love Starbucks. Those two questions took about 3 minutes to answer.

Next came the "situational questions" read straight from a piece of paper. There were around 5 and I cant remember all of them...
"Tell me about a time where something went wrong at your previous job and the boss wasn't there-what did you do"
These took about 1-2 minutes each to answer.

Then she said "well thats it" this was about 10 minutes in and there hadn't been any questions about previous skills, customer service experience, or anything. I didn't even get any questions during my situational responses. If I knew that was going to happen I would have talked more in the introduction. But I feel like they weren't even taking my application seriously since they didnt even have my resume. I was just very disappointed over all on my way out.

Interview Question – "Give me a specific example of when you encountered unfairness amongst your co-workers and how you handled it"   View Answer

Barista Interview

Barista
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – As many have stated before, the questions are all behavior-based. Be prepared to have real examples from your work history and stress the positive! You also get a free drink for your interview, I would recommend not ordering anything overly complicated or expensive. And make sure to throw away your trash when you leave.

Interview Question – Unexpected: "How's your handwriting?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations about salary

Covington, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – I sent in the application, and heard back a day or two later, the Manager and I talked about my application, and set up my interview for that afternoon. The process was very quick.

Interview Question – Everything that was asked was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Senior Applications Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2012.

Interview Details – Fitting in with the culture of the company is the most important thing. This company is very relationship oriented. Be fun and flexible and know the job you're interviewing for. Make sure you negotiate everything you want upfront because getting it changed after you're hired is very difficult. Get everything in writing.

Interview Question – I don't remember The interview process was great.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were flexible which was nice. I didn't get everything but their second offer was very fair. I didn't feel like I needed to push back.

Data Administrator Interview

Data Administrator
Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

Interview Details – I went through Aerotek, a temp agency located in Bellevue to get my initial interview with Starbucks. My interview was for another position in the same department, which took approximately 2 hours with two sets of interviewers. They were mostly concerned with my database and access knowledge. They wanted to know about my customer service skills and wanted a good idea of how I approach difficult situations.

Interview Question – How would you put together and search a spreadsheet that maintains the data for every store that still needs a new fridge to be implemented for the 2014 rollout?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not as a contract worker

Tacoma, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – If you submit an online resume, you will most likely NEVER hear back from the hiring managers; your resume is literally one of hundreds, sometimes thousands for just a single store. If you know someone who works there, ask them to give you a recommendation. If you don't have a Starbucks network available, hand in your resume in person and ask for the store manager (as well as submitting an online application)

Interview Question – All the interview questions are behavioral-based, such as:
-Give me an example of a time when your employer gave you constructive criticism, and how you reacted.
-Give me an example of how you work well in a team.
Make sure to have very specific answers.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You basically start out at minimum wage, then you get tips when your training is completed. After 3 months of working at least 20 hours/week, you are eligible for full benefits and stock options.

Quality Assurance/Contract Interview

Quality Assurance/Contract
Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, and brief 3 person panel interview. They were nice. There were others interviewing that day, but it was still a pleasant environment.

Interview Question – Asked about technology, typical test workflow, working with others and about coffee knowledge.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Worked with the contractor recruiter.

Human Resources Director Interview

Human Resources Director
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – They have an involved process. I had a number of phone/Skype interviews before being flown to Seattle. The actual interviews were pretty straightforward, more like conversations than structured interviews. There did not seem to be assigned topics or areas for each person to probe so I ended up repeating myself/my story to each person, which is okay with me. Interestingly, they asked me to sign a confidentiality agreement before the interview – first time I’ve encountered that.

Interview Question – As I said above, no real difficult questions. They were clearly trying to determine if I fit their culture so the work I did ahead of time to talk to people who worked there was helpful.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ultimately decided that the job was not the right fit for where I am in my career.

Manager, Collections and Deductions Interview

Manager, Collections and Deductions
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with recruiter. Then on-site interview with several key people including the hiring manager, cash applications manager, global pricing manager.
Starbucks does a great job making you feel welcomed. They supply on-site parking, offer a selection of Starbucks coffee and teas and even give you a thank-you "swag" bag.

Interview Questions

• Questions were behavioral in nature: how did you handle a difficult situation; what project were you instrumental in, how have you handled a failure. Little about actually technical skills.   View Answer
  • What is your most memorable vacation and why?   View Answer

Barista Interview

Barista
Spokane, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2013.

Interview Details – Networked with some recruiters and managers through various events which lead to an interview.

Interview Question – Give an example of an experience where you encountered a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!