Starcom USA

Updated Aug 3, 2014
Updated Aug 3, 2014

2.8

Associate Interview

Phone interview was fairly basic and essentially wanted to make sure you could do math and hadn't lied on your resume. This was followed by four back-to-back in person interviews. They were about 45 minutes each and while I think that they were meant to focus on a different area (team work, creative problem solving, etc.), many kind of ran together. After the interviews, you're taken out to lunch with an "ambassador" who is meant to be a non-partial person you can ask more frank questions about culture, compensation, etc.

There wasn't one

Media Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Starcom USA in June 2014.

The phone screening was basic and straightforward. The recruiter asked some mental math questions and briefly asked about my resume and experiences. After that, I was invited to come in for a full round of interviews. I was interviewed by 4 people total. Each interview lasted approximately 40-45 minutes. After that, I had lunch with an ambassador and a few other applicants who were interviewing that day. I heard back from HR after about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Name an impactful campaign you've seen lately. Tell me about it....
      Also, make sure you can articulate why you'd be a good fit for Starcom.

Answer Question
    There is no negotiation whatsoever. They won't budge.

Digital Associate Interview

Meet your recruiters on college campuses and work in through there various starter programs. Being such a large agency, there are many open positions at any given time; be patient though. The advertising industry hires largely in the spring if you are graduating that spring, this is common throughout the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Talk yourself through a difficult leadership situation and how you accomplished what you needed to.   Answer Question

Strategic Planner Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Starcom USA.

I was brought in over the course of about a month and met with a number of people within the group I'd be working. The offer process was a little on the slow side, but such things are common with large institutions. Once I received the offer everything came very quickly in succession (paper work, background check, etc.)

Interview Questions
    No real ability to negotiate, but the offer was fair.

Media Associate Interview

The interview process starts with a phone interview. If HR feels you meet the basic skill requirements, you'll be invited to interview in person with four people of varying levels on four different skill sets: communication, analytical/critical thinking, team work, innovation and creativity. Each interview lasts approximately 45 minutes, and concludes with lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Questions will differ depending on who is interviewing you.   Answer Question

Search Analyst Interview

The whole process took about a month and consisted of four interviews (over the course of a couple of hours in office) as well as a phone interview with the head of the team that lasted about 45 minutes. The HR person I was appointed to was nice enough and fielded all my questions in a reasonable manner. The questions weren't too out of the box, and they seemed to want to gauge personality compatibility and aptitude over raw skills (though those mattered as well). They train you once you're hired so not being super familiar with the intricacies of the position isn't a negative.

Interview Questions
    • "What's your favorite excel function?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starcom USA.

Interview process consisted of two rounds. First round is a phone based screening with someone at a mid-level or senior management level. Questions are mostly focused on the background of the candidate and how their experiences fit into the Starcom culture. The second round consists of 3 separate in person interviews across various levels of management seniority. In person round consists of various rigorous questions to test media acumen, managerial skills, leadership and communications.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a situation where you did not have all the necessary data to complete the exercise and how did you overcome the lack of information to provide a solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starcom USA in August 2013.

Contact from HR department to set up a phone interview a week later

Interview Questions
    • Math Question: 1/3 of 100 in percent form. 20% of 100
      Experience working as a team?
      Biggest challenge?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Starcom USA in August 2013.

This is a very long process, so be prepared to wait. That being said, the interview experience, while intense, is a lot of fun for what it is. Initial phone interview with a recruiter. Behavioral questions and mental math questions are asked - very easy. If you move forward in the process you are invited into the office for a full day of interviews. You will meet with four employees (various levels of leadership) and have about 45 minutes with each. One right after the other. It is tiring, but stay on your game and it will be a great experience. I loved my interviewers and thought they were great. I also credit them for making me so excited about the position and the company. From there you are either recommended for hire or not. Then the waiting process begins for when you'll get an offer. After that, it's easy sailing to your (hopefully) dream job with this amazing company!

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected, per se. It just gets tiring after four hours of back-to-back interviews. Stay sharp and know how to best highlight your experiences/skills in different scenarios.   Answer Question

Media Associate Interview

Phone interview, asked typical "tell me a time when.." questions, asked math related questions so make sure to have a calculator handy