Starcom USA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2014
Updated Aug 3, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Starcom USA.

Applied online--timed general knowledge test.
    Phone interview about 2 months later--unexpected math questions (i.e. percentages).
    Office interview--all day process, interview with 4 different people taken to lunch as a group after. Very long tiring day.

Disappointed to hear a year and a half later a friend of mine with no relevant experience got the job through a family member and by only attending an office interview with one person.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the next big social media site will be?   View Answer

Digital Liaison Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starcom USA.

1:1 interview. Lasted about 20 minutes. Basically was asked to talk about my resume/past experience. Was asked if I had experience using Excel. Then the interviewer talked about the position for about 10 minutes. I was called the next day and was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Have you used Excel is a professional setting? When/How?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Starcom USA in October 2012.

The process was very long. I applied online, heard back about a phone interview 3 months later. I had a full day of interviews 2 weeks after the phone interview. The interview consisted of 4 people one on one interviews ranging from media supervisors to directors. We were taken out to lunch after the interviews. Also, I had to submit a transcript from school.

Interview Questions
    • Range of behavioral based questions, such as "Tell me about a time when you had to work through a problem with a team". Additional questions consisted of things like "Why media?" and "Why Starcom?"   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starcom USA in October 2012.

telephone interview was just behavioral and the on site interview went very smoothly. Mostly just character questions

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starcom USA in December 2011.

Was sent an email to schedule a phone interview. I was told the interview would last 15-20 minutes but actually lasted about 5 minutes. I was asked a behavioral question, a math question, and why I was interested in Starcom.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starcom USA in May 2011.

I applied through their website. Had a phone interview, got a call 4 weeks later to come in for an in person interview, met with 3 people in the finance department.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Starcom USA in July 2010.

It was a half a day interview with up to 5 one one one interviewers. They ask the basic questions nothing to hard.

Interview Questions
    • What media would you use to promote your favorite brand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starcom USA in January 2011.

I first received an email notifying me that they would like to call me for a phone interview. During the phone interview I was asked a couple open ended behavioral questions and two math questions. A couple weeks after the phone interview I received an email inviting me to come in for a face to face interview with four Starcom employees with varying levels of experience and titles including an associate media director and media director. After the interview I waiting a few weeks and received word that they had not made a final decision yet but I was still being considered for the position. Two weeks later I received a phone call from an HR associate notifying me of the employment offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you over communicated and it caused a problem and how you overcame the problem that was caused.   Answer Question
    I did not attempt to negotiate because from what I was told the starting salary for the Media Associate position is set and is non negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starcom USA in August 2009.

The first interview was a phone interview which lasted about 20 minutes. They asked all of the basic interview questions you would think of, plus a few basic math questions.

I was notified to come into the office for a second interview about 2 weeks later. It lasted about 4 hours plus a lunch, and I met with 4 different interviewers. Everyone was very friendly, but the interview questions were unremarkable and didn't reflect at all on the position (eg "Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem", "Tell me about a time where you worked as part of a team" etc.)

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation in pay, as SMG has a set pay scale on each of the positions.

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Starcom USA in October 2010.

Walked through your resume and discussed your interest in the vertical you would be working on. They did not put a lot of emphasis on your professional skills. Instead, they looked into your passion and initiative for the work. They deemed training as their responsibility. The office environment was very cozy and open.

Interview Questions
    The salary is firm. Be prepared to budget your living expense in the first few years, the staring salaries are extremely low.