Starcom Worldwide

2.9

Media Buying Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2009.

Applied on website. Received an email stating I was selected to interview for the position. Had a choice of over the phone interview or one-on-one. Seeing as I was in school I could not make the one-on-one interview. The phone interview was 30 min long with 4 separate people for a total of 2 hours. Mostly behavioral questions. I spoke with one associate, two supervisors, and one director. Very friendly, clearly wanted you to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • What leadership experience have you had? Give me an example of what you did?   Answer Question
    • What media experience have you had in the past?   Answer Question
    Since this was an internship there wasn't a lot of negotiating but I did inform them that I had another internship lined up and that expedited their decision.

Traffic Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in February 2009.

Was pleasantly interviewed. Hiring process took several day

Media Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in September 2010.

I got a referral from someone I know from an internship before. HR contacted me after receiving my resume and I interviewed with an HR rep pretty soon after. During the interview, they asked some very generic questions about my employment and educational history. Then, they made me do a 30 minute basic math skills/IQ test before letting me leave.
    When I passed the test, I was to speak with a Media Director(?) for about 20 minutes, similar questions. They called me back again after a week to speak to a Group Director, and told me to wait a couple of weeks for a offer.

Media Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in June 2010.

The hiring process is extremely long and dragged out. I applied in March, had my phone interview in April, and had my on-site interview in June. I did not receive my offer until the end of June and started in the middle of July. Even though I listed a friend who worked for the company as my referral source, I do not think this affected the process whatsoever.

There is a basic online application that you must fill out as well as a supplemental questionnaire. It took over a month before I was even contacted about a phone interview. The phone interview was very simple and straightforward. The interviewer asked a few behavioral/situational questions ("Tell me about a time when..."), some basic skills questions (ex: comfort/familiarity using Microsoft Office), and a few basic math questions that you should be able to calculate in your head. The next step is scheduling an on-site interview. My on-site interview was scheduled for more than a month after my phone interview. The on-site interview day lasts about half a day and consists of four different one-on-one interviews and then lunch. The interviews are standard behavioral interviews, and the lunch is a non-interview situation off-site with an employee in a management role. It took almost a month to hear back about a decision, and then another 3 weeks before I actually started with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Client X has had a lot of success with their campaign for Product X to reach Demographic X. Now the Client would like to run a campaign to reach Demographic Y. If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do for this campaign in order to reach Demographic Y?

The interviewer provided more specific details than "Client X" and "Demographic X," but this was the basic structure of the question.

Answer Question

Media Associate Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2010.

Starcom HR called me and informed me that my resume seemed to be a good fit for their company. They wanted to do a phone interview the following day. The phone interview was literally 10 minutes in length and were all behavioral-based questions. They asked a couple of basic math questions and wanted to be sure I would excel at Excel. Most people do not make it past the phone interview so my best piece of advice would be to sound as excited about the position as you can make it seem over the phone. Be bubbly, energetic, and passionate.

From the phone interview, I heard within a couple of days that they wanted me to come in for a full day of interviews at the office in Chicago. The day consisted of speaking to 4 different people at the company (all going up in rank throughout the day) for 45 minutes each. Each person was in charge of asking about a specific trait (leadership skills, teamwork skills, math skills, and... something else that isn't coming to mind). Thereafter the 3 hours of straight talking about yourself, they will take you to lunch. All in all, the day is fun, exciting -- but definitely tiring. Be ready to talk about yourself and think on your feet for a solid amount of time. Get a realllllly good night's sleep beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you more qualified for this position than the other people interviewing?   Answer Question
    • Name a campaign that you have seen as of late that you think is effective and why.   Answer Question
    The offer was non-negotiable. While the pay is really low, you have to look at it is being paid to go to grad school. This position is offering me real-life experience I could not get anywhere else. Not only that, they can get away with paying so low because everyone wants to work here.

Media Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in January 2010.

I submitted my resume on the company website. Just a couple days later, I was contacted by HR to schedule a phone screen. Had a short conversation. Was sent an email with days to select to come in for an interview. I was informed the interview would last approximately four hours, and I would meet with four or five people; then, we would have lunch after.

When I came in for the interview, there were four other people interviewing that day as well. We were met by a company "ambassador," who took each of us to our first interviews. I met with each interviewer one-on-one throughout the morning.

Most of the people I met were incredibly nice. Only one person seemed to be bothered by the interview. Everyone I met with was wearing jeans and a nice shirt. The office is huge! I could get lost in there and never find my way out. People seemed to enjoy their working environment.

After the interviews, we went to lunch with our ambassador. We could ask her questions we wouldn't ask the others. She gave us her personal opinions on the company and work. It was a long day but a good experience.

Associate Media Director Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in November 2009.

I had a 1st round phone interview with the HR Dept of Starcom Worldwide. Overall the general feeling that I recieved was basicaly that I should be honored that Starcom considered me for employment. Starcom does have the rep of thinking that they are better than everybody else, my experience with the HR Dept strongly supported this. The entire phone interview was strictly limited to situational questions, in totaly probably about 10 questions were asked. I was surprised how specfic the questions and just how specifc of answers they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • What strategic inovation did you bring to a client? What data/research supported this reco? What was the result of the reco?   View Answer

Media Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2008.

Hiring process was basically a round of interviews. You would meet with different people I think about 4 for about half an hour and they all ask you different questions. It was not difficult and I think they just try to figure out if you are a good fit personality wise for the company.