Starcom Worldwide

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in January 2011.

Interview Details – HR Phone interview

Followed by in-person interviews
4 consecutive, with rising levels of management, who then collectively give their grade/approval.

Interview Question – Challenges you faced in a team setting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was called while I was on vacation and the HR woman asked if I was available for a 10-minute phone interview the next day. I accepted. The phone interview was just that, 10-minutes long. There were quite a few behavioral questions and a couple of math questions. There was not a ton of time to shine in regards to my personality because the interview was very straight forward. After the phone interview, I got a call within that week to come in for a half-day long interview process in-person. The in-person interview consisted of (4) 45-minute long interviews with current SMG employees, and they rose in seniority/title throughout the day. After the interviews were done, an ambassador took us to lunch and answered any questions we had. It was nice, but it was grueling. If you get to the in-person interview, be prepared to start forgetting who you said what to, it's a lot of talking about yourself. A lot.

One more thing to note: each person you interview with has a "type" of interview with you. For example, one person focuses on leadership, the next on team-work, the next on media, and then organization.

Interview Questions

• Name a campaign running right now that you are impressed by and why.   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you've had to use Microsoft excel. How did it help you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be prepared for the offer to be non-negotiable. The starting salary is INCREDIBLY low, but they can get away with it because it is one of the most recognized, reputable agencies in the media world. If you're not willing to work for what they offer you, they have a thousand other applicants lined up out the door who are willing to work for that amount. Take the offer, gain experience, network with some of the most reputable people in the industry, and move on.

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then four separate interviews with various employees at various levels in the organization. It was a long day and many questions were repeated.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to go above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in December 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 2nd round at the office with one person. The office was a fashion show. The people seemed nice though.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to convince your manager of an idea that he didn't initially agree with   Answer Question

Media Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in June 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is extremely long and dragged out. I applied in March, had my phone interview in April, and had my on-site interview in June. I did not receive my offer until the end of June and started in the middle of July. Even though I listed a friend who worked for the company as my referral source, I do not think this affected the process whatsoever.

There is a basic online application that you must fill out as well as a supplemental questionnaire. It took over a month before I was even contacted about a phone interview. The phone interview was very simple and straightforward. The interviewer asked a few behavioral/situational questions ("Tell me about a time when..."), some basic skills questions (ex: comfort/familiarity using Microsoft Office), and a few basic math questions that you should be able to calculate in your head. The next step is scheduling an on-site interview. My on-site interview was scheduled for more than a month after my phone interview. The on-site interview day lasts about half a day and consists of four different one-on-one interviews and then lunch. The interviews are standard behavioral interviews, and the lunch is a non-interview situation off-site with an employee in a management role. It took almost a month to hear back about a decision, and then another 3 weeks before I actually started with the company.

Interview Question – Client X has had a lot of success with their campaign for Product X to reach Demographic X. Now the Client would like to run a campaign to reach Demographic Y. If you had an unlimited budget, what would you do for this campaign in order to reach Demographic Y?

The interviewer provided more specific details than "Client X" and "Demographic X," but this was the basic structure of the question.
  Answer Question

Media Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in January 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on the company website. Just a couple days later, I was contacted by HR to schedule a phone screen. Had a short conversation. Was sent an email with days to select to come in for an interview. I was informed the interview would last approximately four hours, and I would meet with four or five people; then, we would have lunch after.

When I came in for the interview, there were four other people interviewing that day as well. We were met by a company "ambassador," who took each of us to our first interviews. I met with each interviewer one-on-one throughout the morning.

Most of the people I met were incredibly nice. Only one person seemed to be bothered by the interview. Everyone I met with was wearing jeans and a nice shirt. The office is huge! I could get lost in there and never find my way out. People seemed to enjoy their working environment.

After the interviews, we went to lunch with our ambassador. We could ask her questions we wouldn't ask the others. She gave us her personal opinions on the company and work. It was a long day but a good experience.

Interview Question – What client account would you want to work on?   Answer Question

Media Associate

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2010.

Interview Details – Starcom HR called me and informed me that my resume seemed to be a good fit for their company. They wanted to do a phone interview the following day. The phone interview was literally 10 minutes in length and were all behavioral-based questions. They asked a couple of basic math questions and wanted to be sure I would excel at Excel. Most people do not make it past the phone interview so my best piece of advice would be to sound as excited about the position as you can make it seem over the phone. Be bubbly, energetic, and passionate.

From the phone interview, I heard within a couple of days that they wanted me to come in for a full day of interviews at the office in Chicago. The day consisted of speaking to 4 different people at the company (all going up in rank throughout the day) for 45 minutes each. Each person was in charge of asking about a specific trait (leadership skills, teamwork skills, math skills, and... something else that isn't coming to mind). Thereafter the 3 hours of straight talking about yourself, they will take you to lunch. All in all, the day is fun, exciting -- but definitely tiring. Be ready to talk about yourself and think on your feet for a solid amount of time. Get a realllllly good night's sleep beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Why are you more qualified for this position than the other people interviewing?   Answer Question
  • Name a campaign that you have seen as of late that you think is effective and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was non-negotiable. While the pay is really low, you have to look at it is being paid to go to grad school. This position is offering me real-life experience I could not get anywhere else. Not only that, they can get away with paying so low because everyone wants to work here.

Media Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starcom Worldwide in April 2008.

Interview Details – Hiring process was basically a round of interviews. You would meet with different people I think about 4 for about half an hour and they all ask you different questions. It was not difficult and I think they just try to figure out if you are a good fit personality wise for the company.

Interview Question – Strengths and weakness   Answer Question

Worked for Starcom Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!