Starkey Hearing Technologies

Updated Jun 12, 2015

3.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

multiple information interviews with different departments. My first interview was with the HR department/team that is responsible for recruiting and bringing new talent on board. After that, I had multiple interviews with the hiring managers that ran the department. That led up to a formal presentation to senior level management and staff.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions that highlighted my ability to fit into the Starkey culture and how committed I would be to going above and beyond for the company.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview

I applied online and then received a phone call within a couple of days. I was asked to set up a phone interview with a manager. I was able to get a phone interview with one of the staff, and based on the impression of the interview they decided to bring me in for an in-person panel interview. Before that, I had to fill out a questionnaire that had about 140 personality questions, basic math, algebra, and pre-algebra questions, word associations and definitions. The in-person panel interview was average difficulty and was not too technical. Unfortunately, I did not learn the position was for a *manual* software tester position until the last minute. I wish the ad and the recruiter had been more clear about that. The position was advertised as a "software tester" position, and my impression was it would be inclusive of a variety of testing methodologies and tasks-- like unit testing, automated testing, writing test cases and scripts. I've interviewed for a software QA position before, and I was expecting something similar. During the interview, it became clear to me that it was not like a typical QA position at all. As the questions went on in the interview I could tell the team had already formed an impression of whether or not I'd be a good fit (and so did I). It was not a bad interview, but it wasn't a great one either. As a side note, the recruiter insisted I get in as soon as possible. I was able to get the time off, but if I had known right off the bat what I know now, I would have declined an interview. Also, my employer is very strict about time off so I did have to make something up to get it off with less than a week's notice. I think recruiters need to be more respectful of the fact people still need to retain their current employment while they're looking for a new job.

Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in March 2015.

Interview

Was internally referred by an employee (collaborates with my advisor's research group),HR contacted me and told me to submit my resume and cover letter. Took about 4 weeks to get a telephonic interview setup. The process essentially involved three researchers at the Berkeley facility interviewing me, we talked about my research, what does Starkey do, how does a Computer Science PhD student fit into Starkey's research etc.

Interview Questions

• My cover letter mentioned various machine learning techniques that I worked on. They asked me to describe Extreme Learning Machines.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Got reached out through LinkedIn by a recruiter, I decided to follow up. Everything went well for the first phone call, which only lasted about 2 minutes, recruiter did not have anything to say nor ask. I tried asking as much as possible, but would evade with simple answers. Then a second follow up interview with a recruiting manager. The manager who was suppose to call me, was late by 2 hours of phone call. Once I answered he asked "is this still a good time?", I answered "no"; and noticed on his tone of voice change, he got furious, and told me "I will inform HR to schedule another 'meeting'" sure no meeting after that. However after a manger change of voice would not want to work with them.

Field Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Eden Prairie, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Was messaged from a gentleman, HR, via Linked in. He messaged me with a funny, yet professional message that sparked my interest, so I applied to the role he was mentioning. I'm used to getting my fair share of In mails, but his approach was down to earth, specific and seemed honest. After the phone screen i took a pretty long assessment. Following that I was invited to campus to interview for a full 4 hours - stressful. I met with the HR guy who laid out the process, then a few Regional sales directors. Then i had a presentation with all of them present the HR facilitated. Following the presentation HR walked me out and they had a consensus meeting on the spot. I got an offer a couple days later that HR called out to me. I attempted to negotiate, but HR had a good talk ready so I rescinded my negotiations. I've accepted and couldn't be happier.

Interview Questions

• It was very informal. He asked a few behavioral questions that all built off one another - he started broad and ended narrow. It didn't really feel like an interview the way he addressed me. He seemed truly interested in knowing me. My wife was listening to my entire phone screen and she asked why i kept laughing at the end.... Wasn't sure if that was good or bad.... The face to face was good, but there were some questions that were repeated - Are you comfortable with travel? Are you aware of the travel requirements? I understand ingraining those questions, but further organization could have been presented. I actually gave HR a hard time because he was so involved with the process I was surprised he didn't supply questions for everyone.... He was quick to let me know they are working to get to that point.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

I was brought in for an unusual initial interview in which I was interviewed by 5 different people in "speed" interviews rather than a one on one interview with a manager. I received a call back later that week to schedule an in person interview in which they wanted me to create a 15 minute power point presentation for them. This took me hours of my time to create and perfect. The second interview was a panel discussion like interview in which 7 people were present. I gave my presentation then they asked me each about 3 questions ranging from behavioral to regular interview questions. The only problem I had was how unprofessional this office was in telling me I didn't get the job. They told me after the interview that they would contact me this week. Not only did I not receive a call back but I didn't even get a blanket HR email informing me I was not selected. Nothing. Very unprofessional of their staff.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for them to grill you for an hour. I had 20+ behavioral questions all based on my power point presentation.   Answer Question

Systems Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Eden Prairie, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

I initially applied for a position with Starkey online. I was then contacted by HR via e-mail and had an initial phone interview with HR. HR then sent me an online personality and IQ test to take. This test was fairly long (took 1 hr +), and involved Briggs/Myers type questions, algebra, vocab, and word association. I then had a 1 hr in-person interview with the manager of the department I was applying to. This was followed up by a 2 hr in-person interview, again with the manager of the department I was applying to, and also the manager of the sister department. This was followed up by an all-day interview that included me giving an hour-long presentation (which I had to prepare on my own time) about myself and my experience/skills to a panel of about 15 engineers from varying departments and positions, and then meeting with ~7 engineers individually for 45 minutes each. Lunch was provided. The interview process was long and difficult, spanning almost 4 months. The fact that the interview process was long and difficult was not of concern to me. However, during the process, HR was less-than-ideal in their communication. There were several periods, sometimes weeks, where I did not hear from HR, and they gave me no time period in which I could expect to hear something. There were several instances in which I was told I would be contacted on a specific date and was not, sometimes not until a week later. It seemed like every time I was contacted by HR, it was by a different person, and that person had not been fully briefed on my life and current job details and availability. I was also never really told during the process what to expect, where it was all going, and what were the eventual expectations and timeline for proceeding. So, my interviewing complaint isn't so much on the interview process as it is about the communication (internal and external) of the HR department. I think most professional and reasonable people can wait for anything and can follow a process, no matter how long or arduous, as long as they're told and know what to expect. Starkey is a serious technology company that has a challenging work environment, and so ... they want to make sure you're the right fit for them, and that they're the right fit for you. My advice is, be patient. I didn't feel a positive vibe or get really excited about working at Starkey until the last, full-day interview. And now that I work here, I feel even more positive and excited, but ... it was tough getting here. That's just how it is (for now), and so don't be afraid to ask up front for interview process details, a timeline, and expectations. If you're worth your salt and Starkey likes you, your chances are great, but again ... patience is a virtue, and I would rate the interview process as positive because of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• There were many questions related to my Systems Engineering experience and my experience working with engineers in a fast-paced and challenging work environment. There were also several "puzzle" questions asked like <you have 81 coins, 80 of the coins weigh weight W1, the other coin weighs weight W2, and W2>W1, what is the most efficient way of finding coin W2?> or <you have 3 doors, a prize is behind one door, pick a door, I tell you one of the doors the prize is not behind, do you stay with your initial door selection or switch to the other door and why?>   1 Answer

Negotiation

Starkey provided an initial offer, to which I counter-offered. Starkey accepted my counter offer with the understanding that my performance during the first year would need to reflect my requested salary.

Marketing AE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

First phone interview was with HR and it was about 15 minutes. He called 15 minutes earlier than our scheduled time. He rushed me through the call as iff he had a golf game that he was missing out on. I was sent the link for the "test" which was supposed to take less than 1 hr. It took me two full hrs. It had algebra and other math questions that I had not seen since college...and I was a Marketing major, not an engineering major. I went in for a second interview. I left feeling like I wanted the job. Very much a conversation and we were interviewing each other. The third interview was a presentation. On Monday I was scheduled to come back on Thursday at Noon. I spend about 10-12 hrs prepping and creating the presentation. The interview lasted a little over 1 and half hours. I thought the presentation was with 1 person and walks 4 others. be prepared. After they get to ask just random questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you use for tracking projects. I use excel and a reporting system to my company. They had acted like they wanted more, but really most companies use excel or use their own company tools.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter said there was a job description that fit my skills. The skill set wasn't even close, but recruiter wanted a resume anyways. Phone conversation what just about Starkey and possible roles.

IC Design Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview

Got a call from HR for a HR phone interview, followed by technical phone interview (resume screening). Was called onsite for technical interviews with 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Give advice for the problems that they are trying to solve currently.   Answer Question