Starkey Hearing Technologies

Updated Aug 17, 2014

3.1

Firmware Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in May 2012.

The initial contact was via HR on the telephone, followed by a first phone interview for about 30 minutes. Following that there was a personality/IQ test as well as a technical test. The personality test was just garden variety MBTI-type questions as well as some brain teasers. The technical assessment was primarily focused on testing your knowledge of the C programming language and microprocessor/assembly language concepts with a smattering of digital logic, signal processing, and elementary circuits. The latter material was nothing really esoteric; you could find the material in freshmen and sophomore level electical engineering coursework. The C language material was more intense. They really tested your knowledge of memory layout, the structure of a C program, and some of the gotchas with C programming. Thankfully I knew this stuff extremely well and passed with flying colors.

Then the second interview was an in-person interview with the hiring manager for about an hour. It was a typical one-on-one interview format and I got drilled even deeper on my C, assembly language, microprocessor, and a little embedded systems knowledge. I was presented with a sequence of increasingly more complex code fragments and had to explain what they did as well as what is potentially wrong with them. Knowledge of the more subtle aspects of C proved crucial here as well, for some of the flaws in the sample code are non-obvious without a good grasp of low-level programming and hardware. In addition to getting tested on C knowledge, I was introduced to some of their products, which was a fascinating experience in itself. It was amazing how much engineering goes into such a tiny piece of silicon.

After the first in-person interview, I was given another technical assessment. This time it was a problem to solve using python. This makes sense given that at the time they were hiring people test engineers and they wrote their tests in python. It was just a standard issue programming problem that entailed being able to open a file, parse the data inside it, and produce a result from it. They assessed your code on whether it actually solved the problem, how understandable your solution was, how clean the code was, and how robust the code was.

The final interview was a group interview that took about a day to complete. It started with interviewing an HR person, followed by several engineers and managers who were would-be peers, followed by interviewing the engineering manager with whom I would be working under. During the final day they tested my python knowledge. They also had me explain the code I wrote in the previous paragraph. They also interviewed me about my previous projects. I did several embedded systems projects in college and went through what I did on them in detail. I was also asked about what my career aspirations were, what engineering fields were of primary interest to me, etc. During lunch I was given a tour of the facility and got to see what different people did.

The entire process took about four months. I did not get hired but it was an overall positive experience. Everyone seemed very happy working there, which I can't say about every place I have interviewed at. There was a good mix of younger and older workers there. Throughout the process they were very prompt in replying to my emails and also very forthright about answering my questions. I never felt like I was being mislead or that they were trying to evade my questions.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing really unexpected or particularly difficult. Some people might find the C language material more difficult than average.   Answer Question

Marketing AE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

First phone interview was with HR and it was about 15 minutes. He called 15 minutes earlier than our scheduled time. He rushed me through the call as iff he had a golf game that he was missing out on. I was sent the link for the "test" which was supposed to take less than 1 hr. It took me two full hrs. It had algebra and other math questions that I had not seen since college...and I was a Marketing major, not an engineering major. I went in for a second interview. I left feeling like I wanted the job. Very much a conversation and we were interviewing each other. The third interview was a presentation. On Monday I was scheduled to come back on Thursday at Noon. I spend about 10-12 hrs prepping and creating the presentation. The interview lasted a little over 1 and half hours. I thought the presentation was with 1 person and walks 4 others. be prepared. After they get to ask just random questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you use for tracking projects. I use excel and a reporting system to my company. They had acted like they wanted more, but really most companies use excel or use their own company tools.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in January 2014.

three rounds of interview , first with manager , second round with developers and lastly with HR
    interview process was quite difficult as they question from coding to database to Testing , few complicated questions but over all a good interview experience

fixed rate

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Contacted by recruiter said there was a job description that fit my skills. The skill set wasn't even close, but recruiter wanted a resume anyways. Phone conversation what just about Starkey and possible roles.

IC Design Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Got a call from HR for a HR phone interview, followed by technical phone interview (resume screening). Was called onsite for technical interviews with 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • Give advice for the problems that they are trying to solve currently.   Answer Question

Inside Sales- Government Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in October 2013.

Phone screen followed by a "drop everything you're doing & come in for a F2F tomorrow"!
    Received confirmation email indicating I'd be interviewing with HR (screener) & hiring mgr who I'd directly report to. In reality it ended up being a brief conversation w/ HR & she left me in a conference room for 15-20 mins with a benefits folder, while waiting for the hiring mgr & his supervisor. I had great rapport with the mgr I'd be directly reporting to, but his supervisor was another story. He seemed to be bothered by the fact we were having a conversation about Chicago, since that's where the hiring mgr was from and started asking ?'s like, "why? are you from there or something?" "Why is everyone always talking about Chicago with you?" The hiring mgr then responded, "well, I guess he did his homework." He then continued to take jabs while his stomach made gurgling noises & eventually excused himself. Before he excused himself, he shook my hand as if he wasn't going to return, but he did at the end of the interview. I left hand written ty notes with the front desk & attempted to follow-up via phone & email (including an action plan I had put together) a couple of times until I received an automated rejection email 20 days later. I pressed & the hiring mgr was able to give me constructive feedback & said he'd speak with his supervisor & HR on details. Then out of the blue, I received the following from his supervisor, which was extremely rude, unprofessional, inaccurate, condescending, & in no way constructive: "I personally recommended that we go a different direction for the following reasons:1. We look to develop a chemistry & rapport with candidates early in the discussion. We look for people who we believe will click instantly with the tightly knit team that has been long established. If we don’t end up in an energetic give & take, my experience has been that we don’t have a good mutual fit. I look for our interviews to turn into conversations vs. a directed question & answer session. There’s also an intangible that we look for - a natural fit to the Starkey culture. Our interview lacked each of these items. 2. I sensed a tendency in you to expect expanded responsibilities early on but that you were impatient about letting the entire scope of the job unfold before becoming frustrated at the organization and in your role. While I commend your drive to take on more early in the role, I’m looking for someone who wants to develop with the role and really settle in without looking for what’s next prior to proving themselves in the task at hand. 3. I look for people who make sound, well reasoned decisions. To be completely honest, when you described that you left a previous role after a relatively short tenure in somewhat of a knee-jerk fashion without even really considering the fact that you didn’t have a new role lined up, I was concerned. I look for my team to make sound, well thought out decisions and think not just about tomorrow, but a month, quarter and year down the road with regard to the decisions they make with and for our customers. If I don’t see someone making similarly though out decisions on their own behalf about their own livelihood, I simply cannot bank on them doing the same for our valued customers. While I sometimes wish I personally had the kind of passion and wherewithal to make those quick decisions and not be concerned about what’s on the other side, I cannot risk that mindset when it comes to guardianship of our customer relationships. I appreciate your diligent follow-up, however, we’re confident in our decisions. I wish you well as you pursue your next opportunity. I truly hope you find a perfect mutual fit.Regards"

Interview Questions
    • Why did you resign from your previous role without having another job lined up? Do you have any regrets about it? How do you plan on gaining industry knowledge? I noticed you are a member of X amount of professional associations, how do you keep up with all of them?   View Answer

Customer Service Technical Support Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in September 2013.

I did a presentation interview which is highly irregular for this type of position. I felt that it was over the top for this level of job.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions given to me were asked in a condescending tone.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in June 2013.

This was the most awkward experience I have ever had in my entire life, it is also very very time consuming. It started as a 1hour long technical phone screen, it was the best one I have ever had, the interviewer did a very good job. Next I had to do a 200 question personality test. Its the type of test that you can tell means absolutely nothing expect to the person that wrote it.

A few days later I had a on site meeting with the hiring manger. This guy was the worst interviewer I have met. He was asking standard personality questions (seriously I just did a 200-point personality test). He finally ask me to name a skill I am good at, I said problem solving. He then asked "Define a recipe to teach someone problem solving". After explaining that it is more a task you learn by doing, he gave some response that if I "really" knew it I would be able to write it on a piece of paper and hand it to someone to learn.

A few days later I had to come back for another day-long onsite interview with 5 different groups of people. There were 2 panels that ask "technical" questions. One asked to whiteboard a model of an elevator, the other a soda machine. After trying to get more requirements then that they eventually just told me to start. I drew a MVC diagram of how I would integrate the software with the machine. In the case of the soda machine they asked how do you get the money back. I said there would be an API call in the model, which they responded "but where is the integer that would return?" Finally I realized they were asking for a complete virtual machine and not actual software integration, similar problem with the elevator. (Note: their company does machine integration.) These were the types of requirements I was trying to get up front.

Also during the panel interviews it was very hard to communicate. I have done many white-boarding in my professional experience, for a few months it was almost daily. However since they did not have defined requirements or agenda each were asking completely random questions back-to-back often contradicting each other. A few of them were actually quite rude expecting I didn't know the answer in the tone of their voice. (In regards to thinking I only had design experience and not actual enterprise architecture experience, or that I have worked with Agile methodologies.)

There was also a lunch meeting with 2 folks from a different team, they were actually fun to get a long with and I enjoyed that one. I also met with the software Director, he was self-admittedly not a technical guy but I think I would enjoy working for him. Finally I met with the manager again and he asked some more questions he pulled from the internet a few minutes beforehand. He also stated that he asked a previous company about me and that they gave me a bad referral, which is actually illegal in Minnesota without my permission and even then they are only suppose to state that I worked there and nothing more.

So after a two weeks they responded that I was not a good fit and want to redirect me to a different department and start the process all over. I said no thanks and took a contracting job at the previous employer which supposedly gave the bad referral.

Interview Questions
    • Define a recipe to teach someone problem solving.   View Answer

Wireless Firmware Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

I applied for the position online and received contact several hours later (rather quick). We setup the first phone interview several days later with HR individual. They asked almost immediately what my salary expectations were and after I stated it was rather early to be discussing this they said, "this position is for X$ a year and is non-negotiable". Any company that states a position's salary is non-negotiable before even interviewing the candidate is walking on very thin ice already. Another phone interview was setup with an engineering manager. He asked basic questions about my resume, technical background, etc.. They then administered a 40 minute, 20 question technical online exam (basic C questions, some math, and some problem solving riddles). Following this I was contacted again for discussion and given another online exam (not timed) which had myers-briggs type questions, a math section, and an English section (pretty easy overall).

At this point they scheduled for an on-site interview. Travel arrangements were made, which was nice, except that they don't provide a rental car (they require taxi's). It was rather unprofessional, especially when you realize you have to carry your baggage around during interviews. They require candidates to present a 1 hour presentation in the morning, which at first I thought wasn't a big deal but soon came to realize that they use it to see how well you take questions outside the scope of your topic. Following the presentation I was interviewed 1 hour at a time throughout the rest of the day. Some were behavioral, but most were technical. During one of the one-on-one interviews near the end of the day, the employee that was interviewing me made a rather rude personal comment which actually set me back. If it weren't for having to wait for a taxi ride to the airport, I probably would have walked out at that point.

The benefits and salary they showed me was rather uncompetitive (except vacation time) for the surrounding area (3 months without health coverage and no 401k matching at all??), so essentially they have an interview process to the likes of google or apple, with little to back it up. I ended up taking a job near this place, but for a much better salary and benefits. If I could do it again, I wouldn't.

Embedded Interview

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

They have a HR group. One of the person in that group will contact you first. Ask you some behavior questions. Then, they will send you a computer test with multiple choices. The HR manager will then connect you with an Engineer for a technical interview. There will be onsite interviews too. Each round takes 2~3 weeks to decide. Just be patient.

Interview Questions

Worked for Starkey Hearing Technologies? Contribute to the Community!