Starkey Hearing Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

Interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter said there was a job description that fit my skills. The skill set wasn't even close, but recruiter wanted a resume anyways. Phone conversation what just about Starkey and possible roles.

Interview Question – No real questions, just skill set eval.   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer Intern Interview

IC Design Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR for a HR phone interview, followed by technical phone interview (resume screening). Was called onsite for technical interviews with 3 people.

Interview Question – Give advice for the problems that they are trying to solve currently.   Answer Question

Inside Sales- Government Sales Interview

Inside Sales- Government Sales
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen followed by a "drop everything you're doing & come in for a F2F tomorrow"!
Received confirmation email indicating I'd be interviewing with HR (screener) & hiring mgr who I'd directly report to. In reality it ended up being a brief conversation w/ HR & she left me in a conference room for 15-20 mins with a benefits folder, while waiting for the hiring mgr & his supervisor. I had great rapport with the mgr I'd be directly reporting to, but his supervisor was another story. He seemed to be bothered by the fact we were having a conversation about Chicago, since that's where the hiring mgr was from and started asking ?'s like, "why? are you from there or something?" "Why is everyone always talking about Chicago with you?" The hiring mgr then responded, "well, I guess he did his homework." He then continued to take jabs while his stomach made gurgling noises & eventually excused himself. Before he excused himself, he shook my hand as if he wasn't going to return, but he did at the end of the interview. I left hand written ty notes with the front desk & attempted to follow-up via phone & email (including an action plan I had put together) a couple of times until I received an automated rejection email 20 days later. I pressed & the hiring mgr was able to give me constructive feedback & said he'd speak with his supervisor & HR on details. Then out of the blue, I received the following from his supervisor, which was extremely rude, unprofessional, inaccurate, condescending, & in no way constructive: "I personally recommended that we go a different direction for the following reasons:1. We look to develop a chemistry & rapport with candidates early in the discussion. We look for people who we believe will click instantly with the tightly knit team that has been long established. If we don’t end up in an energetic give & take, my experience has been that we don’t have a good mutual fit. I look for our interviews to turn into conversations vs. a directed question & answer session. There’s also an intangible that we look for - a natural fit to the Starkey culture. Our interview lacked each of these items. 2. I sensed a tendency in you to expect expanded responsibilities early on but that you were impatient about letting the entire scope of the job unfold before becoming frustrated at the organization and in your role. While I commend your drive to take on more early in the role, I’m looking for someone who wants to develop with the role and really settle in without looking for what’s next prior to proving themselves in the task at hand. 3. I look for people who make sound, well reasoned decisions. To be completely honest, when you described that you left a previous role after a relatively short tenure in somewhat of a knee-jerk fashion without even really considering the fact that you didn’t have a new role lined up, I was concerned. I look for my team to make sound, well thought out decisions and think not just about tomorrow, but a month, quarter and year down the road with regard to the decisions they make with and for our customers. If I don’t see someone making similarly though out decisions on their own behalf about their own livelihood, I simply cannot bank on them doing the same for our valued customers. While I sometimes wish I personally had the kind of passion and wherewithal to make those quick decisions and not be concerned about what’s on the other side, I cannot risk that mindset when it comes to guardianship of our customer relationships. I appreciate your diligent follow-up, however, we’re confident in our decisions. I wish you well as you pursue your next opportunity. I truly hope you find a perfect mutual fit.Regards"

Interview Question – Why did you resign from your previous role without having another job lined up? Do you have any regrets about it? How do you plan on gaining industry knowledge? I noticed you are a member of X amount of professional associations, how do you keep up with all of them?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Customer Service Technical Support Representative Interview

Customer Service Technical Support Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in September 2013.

Interview Details – I did a presentation interview which is highly irregular for this type of position. I felt that it was over the top for this level of job.

Interview Question – All of the questions given to me were asked in a condescending tone.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in June 2013.

Interview Details – This was the most awkward experience I have ever had in my entire life, it is also very very time consuming. It started as a 1hour long technical phone screen, it was the best one I have ever had, the interviewer did a very good job. Next I had to do a 200 question personality test. Its the type of test that you can tell means absolutely nothing expect to the person that wrote it.

A few days later I had a on site meeting with the hiring manger. This guy was the worst interviewer I have met. He was asking standard personality questions (seriously I just did a 200-point personality test). He finally ask me to name a skill I am good at, I said problem solving. He then asked "Define a recipe to teach someone problem solving". After explaining that it is more a task you learn by doing, he gave some response that if I "really" knew it I would be able to write it on a piece of paper and hand it to someone to learn.

A few days later I had to come back for another day-long onsite interview with 5 different groups of people. There were 2 panels that ask "technical" questions. One asked to whiteboard a model of an elevator, the other a soda machine. After trying to get more requirements then that they eventually just told me to start. I drew a MVC diagram of how I would integrate the software with the machine. In the case of the soda machine they asked how do you get the money back. I said there would be an API call in the model, which they responded "but where is the integer that would return?" Finally I realized they were asking for a complete virtual machine and not actual software integration, similar problem with the elevator. (Note: their company does machine integration.) These were the types of requirements I was trying to get up front.

Also during the panel interviews it was very hard to communicate. I have done many white-boarding in my professional experience, for a few months it was almost daily. However since they did not have defined requirements or agenda each were asking completely random questions back-to-back often contradicting each other. A few of them were actually quite rude expecting I didn't know the answer in the tone of their voice. (In regards to thinking I only had design experience and not actual enterprise architecture experience, or that I have worked with Agile methodologies.)

There was also a lunch meeting with 2 folks from a different team, they were actually fun to get a long with and I enjoyed that one. I also met with the software Director, he was self-admittedly not a technical guy but I think I would enjoy working for him. Finally I met with the manager again and he asked some more questions he pulled from the internet a few minutes beforehand. He also stated that he asked a previous company about me and that they gave me a bad referral, which is actually illegal in Minnesota without my permission and even then they are only suppose to state that I worked there and nothing more.

So after a two weeks they responded that I was not a good fit and want to redirect me to a different department and start the process all over. I said no thanks and took a contracting job at the previous employer which supposedly gave the bad referral.

Interview Question – Define a recipe to teach someone problem solving.   View Answer

Wireless Firmware Engineer II Interview

Wireless Firmware Engineer II
Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and received contact several hours later (rather quick). We setup the first phone interview several days later with HR individual. They asked almost immediately what my salary expectations were and after I stated it was rather early to be discussing this they said, "this position is for X$ a year and is non-negotiable". Any company that states a position's salary is non-negotiable before even interviewing the candidate is walking on very thin ice already. Another phone interview was setup with an engineering manager. He asked basic questions about my resume, technical background, etc.. They then administered a 40 minute, 20 question technical online exam (basic C questions, some math, and some problem solving riddles). Following this I was contacted again for discussion and given another online exam (not timed) which had myers-briggs type questions, a math section, and an English section (pretty easy overall).

At this point they scheduled for an on-site interview. Travel arrangements were made, which was nice, except that they don't provide a rental car (they require taxi's). It was rather unprofessional, especially when you realize you have to carry your baggage around during interviews. They require candidates to present a 1 hour presentation in the morning, which at first I thought wasn't a big deal but soon came to realize that they use it to see how well you take questions outside the scope of your topic. Following the presentation I was interviewed 1 hour at a time throughout the rest of the day. Some were behavioral, but most were technical. During one of the one-on-one interviews near the end of the day, the employee that was interviewing me made a rather rude personal comment which actually set me back. If it weren't for having to wait for a taxi ride to the airport, I probably would have walked out at that point.

The benefits and salary they showed me was rather uncompetitive (except vacation time) for the surrounding area (3 months without health coverage and no 401k matching at all??), so essentially they have an interview process to the likes of google or apple, with little to back it up. I ended up taking a job near this place, but for a much better salary and benefits. If I could do it again, I wouldn't.

Embedded Interview

Embedded

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview Details – They have a HR group. One of the person in that group will contact you first. Ask you some behavior questions. Then, they will send you a computer test with multiple choices. The HR manager will then connect you with an Engineer for a technical interview. There will be onsite interviews too. Each round takes 2~3 weeks to decide. Just be patient.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Audio Engineer Interview

Audio Engineer
Eden Prairie, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in April 2010.

Interview Details – current hearing aid power and computational capabilities

Interview Questions

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Senior .NET Developer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies.

Interview Details – Communication with HR was great at first, then they sent me on for a technical interview. The interview was difficult but went pretty well, and the interviewer told me they would let me know in a day or two. Since then (going on two weeks) HR has not contacted me and has not answered my follow up e-mail. Treating applicants like that is totally unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Technician Interview

Technician

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starkey Hearing Technologies in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewer was very candid and honest, and expected the same from me. She asked me what I was interested in doing, and where else I was interviewing. She also asked about compensation, which I was surprised at, but she seemed to think my response was reasonable. She also asked whether I would prefer a different position at another company, because we had already established this wasn't my dream job. I told her honestly that all else being equal, I would prefer the other position. She really appreciated my honesty, which I found refreshing.

Interview Question – What sort of compensation are you looking for?   Answer Question

Worked for Starkey Hearing Technologies? Contribute to the Community!