Starr Companies Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

2.8

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview with HR And the hiring manager. Also ended up interviewing with a few other people in the group and the Chief Actuary. Good discussion about the role and what my contributions would be. Not a lot of technical questions but more of a general discussion on my prior work history and skills. Ended up going to lunch with the hiring manager and also coming back the next week to meet with an executive.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starr Companies.

Interview

Came in for one short 30 minute interview after receiving an e-mail regarding an application. Spoke to one person inside the office. Got an offer the next week. Very easy process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and notified within a few weeks to come in. Went in and spoke with just one manager. Very respectful and straight forward about the job. Laid out all of the day to day challenges one may face and the salary that was offered. Took me around and showed me the different departments of the office.

Interview Questions

• Probably the basic knowledge of risk management. And some background info on the company itself and who they cover.   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR followed by another phone interview with CMO a few weeks later. I send two follow up emails to HR, she never replies. Finally after the third she replies with the standard "thanks for interview, but..." letter. The only problem is that she forgot to change the job title in the email and included a job title that I wasn't interviewing for. I can only imagine how many ppl she has done this to.

Completely and utter!y unprofessional.

They "really care" about their candidates. Such typical BS it ain't funny.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Probably the most unprofessional series of interviews I had so far in my career. First interview was cancelled a few hours before on the day of due to a scheduling conflict (good thing I often check my emails). Second attempt, I arrived on time only to be told to come back in two hors due to yet another scheduling conflict. When I finally met with the HR representative, the interviewer was insulting stating that the company was looking for a "mature" worker, "not some 20 something year old" to help support the team and back-up support the senior executive. (Let's put it this way: if it was not for a tight job market, I would have completely blown off the follow-up interview.) Second interviewer was at least pleasant and on time.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain one of my bullets on my resume regarding one of my previous positions.   1 Answer

Didn't appreciate the ageist tone of my first interview. I also know two former employees who commented the company in general was not supportive off its employees.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I had two back to back interviews on the same day. I met with a woman in HR and she asked me questions about my resume. She also asked me behavioral questions. This part of the interview lasted 30 minutes. Then, I met with an underwriter working in the profit center for which I had applied. We talked more about the internship details, and I was able to ask him more questions about the company and the position. This part of the interview also lasted about thirty minutes. The entire interview was very easy and straight forward. No surprises or trick questions. Both interviewers were very outgoing and made me feel very comfortable. I received an offer about 6 weeks later and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever submitted an assignment late? What did you do?   Answer Question

Senior Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Starr Companies in September 2013.

Interview

One of the worst interview process of any company. All interviews were conducted over the phone. Had a total of 4 separate interviews over the course of two weeks. It felt like it would never stop. If they needed this many people to talk to me they should have just flown me out to meet them.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview was pretty generic. However, they started asking lots of technical questions about various types of risk and what their exposures were.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not very good. I requested more money and was told this was the most they could offer. I requested more vacation time and at first was told that their offer was competitive. I informed them that i currently get more vacation and they finally agreed to match my current vacation.

My advice would be not to work for this company

Associate Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. I had an interview with HR that was more about them tell me about the position. When I met with line managers it was much more about how comfortable they felt with you as a person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

The interview was very basis and consisted of only meeting with a few people. The process over ally went very quick.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Starr Companies (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Met with two HR representative and the Executive and the process was quick and easy. Background and credit check etc;

Interview Questions

• What are five words your previous boss would use to describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very smooth