Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

Sales Administrative Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a position through the online application system and heard from an HR representative about three weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview (this key word will be important later) by HR for the Westin Hotel in the Houston Galleria. What I wasn't told is that this "interview" was just one of those "tell me about your qualifications" things that could have easily been completed over the phone. What's worse is it seemed as though the woman who "interviewed" me had not even read my resume as I was talking! You can tell the difference between the response of someone when your elaborating on something versus them hearing it for the first time...I experienced the second one. However, after about ten minutes of back & forth dialogue she did seem impressed. She then proceed to tell me about the culture and that many administrative assistant go one to be promoted to managers and the like. This sounded promised to me and she offered me the position...then she said that the position starts at $13.00/hr with benefits starting after 90 days. At that point I quite frankly asked had she even looked at my online application. There not only do they ask you have much your CURRENT pay is but also what you expect to be paid. I asked her how could she expect someone who gets paid more currently to accept that offer? She had no answer to that but said it's "industry standard pay" so I politely declined. I felt as though the entire experience was a waste of my time.

Interview Question – Tell me about your.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was 13.00/hr and benefits were not offered until after 90 days. No.

Very Easy Interview

Sales In Timeshare Interview

Sales In Timeshare
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

Interview Details – Anyone can be hired, if you know how to dress and be on time.
Telephone interview, then face to face. They have a new training class every month. Only 1 in 10 will stay. So you will be hired if you are willing to try. It's $10/hr. Pay is $10/hr draw.

Interview Question – What is your pet peeve?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't need one. As I said, they will hire anyone.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview. This was followed by two in-person interviews. The interviewers were Business Analysts and a Vice President. The questions were challenging but not unexpected.
The final in-person interview was related to specific positions. The interviewers were a Director and a Vice President. One had an interesting interviewing technique.

Interview Question – The interviewer was expressionless throughout the interview.   Answer Question

Field Marketing Manager Interview

Field Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in February 2013.

Interview Details – One of the most time consuming interview processes I've ever experienced. Initially started with the standard HR interview- then had two, hour+ phone interviews with Director and VP level employees, who were located in different cities. Following those interviews, I had in person meetings with three individuals- two directors and another Field Marketing Manager. After those interviews, spoke with HR again- this time they sent me a "test" to complete. I was given 48 hours to complete three different situation analyses, two high level marketing campaigns, and a personality assessment. After sending my thank you notes, I figured it was time to hurry up and wait. But no- how about TWO more phone interviews? Of the individuals I spoke with, most seemed very nice, and they certainly drank the kool aid and sang the praises of working with SPG. There were two individuals who liked themselves enough that I didn't need to. In case you weren't counting, that's a grand total of eight different interviews, and an assessment which took several hours. After two solid weeks of interviews, I sent my final thank you note to HR....and never heard from them again.

Interview Question – What makes you think you're smart enough to work here?   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in December 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call within two weeks. I had my initial interview with my direct boss and three other managers. It lasted about 3 hours and I was hired later that evening.

Interview Question – If you were a musical instrument, what would you be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I felt like I was not in a position to negotiate at that time

Reception Interview

Reception

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in August 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted 1st by email to set up a phone interview. After I had passed that interview with a junior HR representative I was granted access to the corporate interview.
The Corporate interview consisted of meeting with five people over four hours. The first session was with the department manager who explained the position and asked me about past situational questions. Next I met with the VP who spoke casually about my past experience and things we had in common. Then I was introduced to Exec Assistants, they asked me the type of situational questions I might be dealing with in house. And finally the junior HR person I had the phone interview came in to check my state of mind and walked me out.

Interview Question – How would you handle yourself around people who don't smile or reply when spoken to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one for this position.

Guest Services Manager Interview

Guest Services Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in January 2011.

Interview Details – must apply online. application will be reviewed by HR and then sent to department hiring manager. Department manager will review all applicants passed on by HR and set up interviews directly with applicant. interview is with 2 interviewers who will grade each question. Interview packets will be turned into HR with interviewer's decision to hire, hold, or deny. HR will reach out to applicants with answer.

Interview Question – most people have the hardest time being specific to answering the question and tends to give broad answers explaining their tendency instead of what they actually have done.   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Brand Manager
Stamford, CT

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in October 2013.

Interview Details – To say the interview process was disjointed would be an understatement. Sure, almost all of those I spoke with were very nice, but following a phone screen and what would otherwise have seemed to be a final in-person interview, I was brought in to meet the rest of the team. Most of those I met were professional, courteous, and respectful of my time during the actual interview process, but there were a few participants that were particularly disengaged and acted as though they felt they were wasting their time speaking to me.

The biggest problem? I have never actually received a response from them regarding their decision. Of course, after a while, you send follow-up emails inquiring about the process, but to not receive a reply even to those emails is such poor form, it's a little hard to believe. Whether I just got lost in the shuffle or there was a deliberate choice not to contact me, who knows, but contacting the interviewer with the outcome simply isn't that much to ask and is generally viewed as a small courtesy given the interviewer's personal investment of time and energy. A very disappointing experience.

Food and Beverage Server Interview

Food and Beverage Server

Interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Interview Details – Phone screen then face to face interview

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were under pressure to get a lot done quickly   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – I only have been interviewed once, which was a bsic motivational interview with no hard questions, I am still waiting to hearing from them

Interview Question – why did you choose the Hotel business?   Answer Question

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!