Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.8

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I was first contacted by their Human Resource coordinator and had a mini phone interview. After that I had my in person interview with their Director of Front Office and a supervisor, the whole interview took about 30-40 minute or so. It was all behavioral questions so make sure you have examples that you want to use before heading in. After that I had another mini interview with their hotel manager.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I found was "Why should we hire you, and not the rest of the other candidates."   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase, it was a set rate.

Executive Meeting Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in April 2013.

General contact interview, then Behavioral interview with the department hiring manager. First contact is just a few questions about you and why you are applying to that specific position. Behavioral interview is more in depth and ask multiple past experience questions and how they would relate to what you would be doing at the company.

Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Very long hiring process. You will meet HR, DOS, GM and perhaps another team member.
    The interviews were spaced out enough were you didnt know exactly where you were with the hiring process.

Many questions involving how do you handle stress, multiple tasks, and if you are trained in their sales software.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in March 2012.

Two interviews from the HR manager and the front office manager. The interview was at the lobby lounge, it makes interviewers very comfortable and relaxed. The managers are also very nice and polite. The overall feeling was really impressive and I was really impressive by how Starwoods treats their guests and employees. The best hotel interview I've had so far.

Resort Guide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in August 2013.

You will be asked a series of company approved screening questions to determine candidates drive for success. Must be pre-screened for drug use and a background check. And you must be a licensed real estate agent.

Standardized commission structure.

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

I applied for a position through the online application system and heard from an HR representative about three weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview (this key word will be important later) by HR for the Westin Hotel in the Houston Galleria. What I wasn't told is that this "interview" was just one of those "tell me about your qualifications" things that could have easily been completed over the phone. What's worse is it seemed as though the woman who "interviewed" me had not even read my resume as I was talking! You can tell the difference between the response of someone when your elaborating on something versus them hearing it for the first time...I experienced the second one. However, after about ten minutes of back & forth dialogue she did seem impressed. She then proceed to tell me about the culture and that many administrative assistant go one to be promoted to managers and the like. This sounded promised to me and she offered me the position...then she said that the position starts at $13.00/hr with benefits starting after 90 days. At that point I quite frankly asked had she even looked at my online application. There not only do they ask you have much your CURRENT pay is but also what you expect to be paid. I asked her how could she expect someone who gets paid more currently to accept that offer? She had no answer to that but said it's "industry standard pay" so I politely declined. I felt as though the entire experience was a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

The pay was 13.00/hr and benefits were not offered until after 90 days. No.

Sales In Timeshare Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

Anyone can be hired, if you know how to dress and be on time.
    Telephone interview, then face to face. They have a new training class every month. Only 1 in 10 will stay. So you will be hired if you are willing to try. It's $10/hr. Pay is $10/hr draw.

Interview Questions
    Didn't need one. As I said, they will hire anyone.

Business Analyst Interview

There was an initial phone interview. This was followed by two in-person interviews. The interviewers were Business Analysts and a Vice President. The questions were challenging but not unexpected.
    The final in-person interview was related to specific positions. The interviewers were a Director and a Vice President. One had an interesting interviewing technique.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer was expressionless throughout the interview.   Answer Question

Field Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in February 2013.

One of the most time consuming interview processes I've ever experienced. Initially started with the standard HR interview- then had two, hour+ phone interviews with Director and VP level employees, who were located in different cities. Following those interviews, I had in person meetings with three individuals- two directors and another Field Marketing Manager. After those interviews, spoke with HR again- this time they sent me a "test" to complete. I was given 48 hours to complete three different situation analyses, two high level marketing campaigns, and a personality assessment. After sending my thank you notes, I figured it was time to hurry up and wait. But no- how about TWO more phone interviews? Of the individuals I spoke with, most seemed very nice, and they certainly drank the kool aid and sang the praises of working with SPG. There were two individuals who liked themselves enough that I didn't need to. In case you weren't counting, that's a grand total of eight different interviews, and an assessment which took several hours. After two solid weeks of interviews, I sent my final thank you note to HR....and never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you're smart enough to work here?   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in December 2010.

I applied online and received a call within two weeks. I had my initial interview with my direct boss and three other managers. It lasted about 3 hours and I was hired later that evening.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a musical instrument, what would you be?   View Answer
    I felt like I was not in a position to negotiate at that time

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!