Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.8

Guest Services Agent- Bliss SPA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

They use the STAR interview process. Be prepared to explain real problems and solutions and what you did to overcome etc. Express your customer service skills to the max. They first do a phone interview with the assistant manager if you pass that you then move on to in person interview with the assistant manager then after that you have an interview with the general manager then after that with HR and the higher ups. 4 interviews total

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you Did something nice for someone   View Answer
    No negotiation

Management Trainee Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Met with a recruiter on campus for a general interview...asked my preferences for location, track/department (rooms, F&B, sales, finance), then asked generic behavioral interview questions, such as "tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership in a group task." I was surprised that he also asked why I was interested in Starwood and where Starwood ranked compared to the other companies I was considering for a post-grad job. About a week later I received a link to complete a video interview in which I had to film myself answering four more behavioral-type questions. Filming myself answering the questions was a little awkward.

Interview Questions
    • Where does Starwood rank on your list of companies you would like to work for?   Answer Question

Couldn't find a position in my preferred location

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Starwood came to recruit at my university for Management in Training position. The questions were solely behavioral and very standardized. The next step was a skype interview and then following was an offer. The recruiters were nice but I wished they got to know my personality and asked other questions besides just behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker or boss. What happened and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

I received another offer that I wanted more.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Because of the weather, the campus recruiter was unable to conduct interviews on campus. So phone interviews were conducted instead. I suppose my experience did not fit hotels very well so I did not get the internship. I felt she was just trying to reduce applicants immensely while I was interviewed.

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Applied online and 2 days later received phone call and had a mini phone interview going over resume and job experiences. Next day went in met with a HR manager about past jobs. Got to go on to meet with 2 department managers 30 minutes later who asked questions about job scenarios and how they were handled.

Interview Questions
    • Be specific with answers based on previous experience and what makes you stand out from other applicants   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set rate

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I was first contacted by their Human Resource coordinator and had a mini phone interview. After that I had my in person interview with their Director of Front Office and a supervisor, the whole interview took about 30-40 minute or so. It was all behavioral questions so make sure you have examples that you want to use before heading in. After that I had another mini interview with their hotel manager.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I found was "Why should we hire you, and not the rest of the other candidates."   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase, it was a set rate.

Sales Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Very long hiring process. You will meet HR, DOS, GM and perhaps another team member.
    The interviews were spaced out enough were you didnt know exactly where you were with the hiring process.

Many questions involving how do you handle stress, multiple tasks, and if you are trained in their sales software.

No negotiation

Business Analyst Interview

There was an initial phone interview. This was followed by two in-person interviews. The interviewers were Business Analysts and a Vice President. The questions were challenging but not unexpected.
    The final in-person interview was related to specific positions. The interviewers were a Director and a Vice President. One had an interesting interviewing technique.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer was expressionless throughout the interview.   Answer Question

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

I applied for a position through the online application system and heard from an HR representative about three weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview (this key word will be important later) by HR for the Westin Hotel in the Houston Galleria. What I wasn't told is that this "interview" was just one of those "tell me about your qualifications" things that could have easily been completed over the phone. What's worse is it seemed as though the woman who "interviewed" me had not even read my resume as I was talking! You can tell the difference between the response of someone when your elaborating on something versus them hearing it for the first time...I experienced the second one. However, after about ten minutes of back & forth dialogue she did seem impressed. She then proceed to tell me about the culture and that many administrative assistant go one to be promoted to managers and the like. This sounded promised to me and she offered me the position...then she said that the position starts at $13.00/hr with benefits starting after 90 days. At that point I quite frankly asked had she even looked at my online application. There not only do they ask you have much your CURRENT pay is but also what you expect to be paid. I asked her how could she expect someone who gets paid more currently to accept that offer? She had no answer to that but said it's "industry standard pay" so I politely declined. I felt as though the entire experience was a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

The pay was 13.00/hr and benefits were not offered until after 90 days. No.

Sales In Timeshare Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

Anyone can be hired, if you know how to dress and be on time.
    Telephone interview, then face to face. They have a new training class every month. Only 1 in 10 will stay. So you will be hired if you are willing to try. It's $10/hr. Pay is $10/hr draw.

Interview Questions
    Didn't need one. As I said, they will hire anyone.