Starwood Hotels & Resorts

172 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Front Desk Agent Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in April 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, asked what I know about company....why Starwood? Then got a cal the next day from Manager, set up interview a day later. Came in and interviewed with Manager & Supervisor for around 30 minutes. They then had me meet with another Dept Head for a 5 minute one-on-one. Finally, they had me meet with HR to go over final details of position before accepting contingent offer that same day. Took about 2 hours total for the interviews.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions. EX: Tell me about a time you handled adversity?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation on salary.

Front Office Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in October 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process took 3 months. As an out of state external candidate I began by filling out an on-line application, then I had a telephone meet & greet with the human resources manager. The next step was a skype interview with the DOO and HR manager for the property I was applying for. After that they invited me for a face to face interview on property. They hosted me during the interview process. A CJO was extended.

Interview Question – Not many. Must be comfortable with behavior interviewing. Must be able to provide a Situation, action to the situation, and result of the situation for various questions. Details and specifics are a must. Teamwork, going above and beyond, unhappy guests, management challenges are all common questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a minimum, mid, and max for every position. Don't accept the first offer without negotiating. Even if negotiations aren't salary based, negotiate relocation or benefits.

Reservation Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – The process was fairly quick. Apply online, then receive a call to set up an interview as well as an assessment. If you pass that you will be sent for a drug test. Once that is returned you will be called and set up for orientation/training which is 30 days and needs 100% attendance.

Interview Question – They follow the STAR process of questions. You can find videos explaining this process via YouTube.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, starting pay is set @ $10.50 per hr.

Reservations Agent Interview

Wichita, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long. There are two separate interviews and you must also complete a prior to hire online test. And you must complete a drug screen. The first interview you mostly just answer questions about what hours you are available (my suggestion is to say you are always available) and the second interview you answer simple behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it in a professional manner.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate at all.

Very Easy Interview

Digital Tech Lead Interview

Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process is very simple and the recruiters are the best.

However, I am really disappointed with the interviewers, let me explain, no idea how the hiring/chosen process works in there, very confused to say the least.

One of the interviewers, and I will quote here, at one point of the interview told me "we are just trying find a group that you will be working, we have several openings that you will be an excellent fit.". Which sounds terrific, if they would move forward with an offer.

Also, I got a chance to talk with the CTO or VP of tech (not sure his position), but he was the one overseen the group, he was really arrogant and he was talking on the phone during our interview, what a terrible experience right there (I got really demotivated after that).

Anyways, as I was expecting, after a couple days I got a generic email saying they will not offer me the position.

Interview Question – There were not overly difficult questions. To be honest, the majority of the questions were behavioral. "Tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Fun Agent/Pool Attendant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – Applied, got a call by the hiring manager, did a phone interview (simple), interviewed with the hiring manager. Received a call 4 days later from HR to come in and was offered the job in person. All situational and behavioral questions. Make sure you have actual events that you have dealt with. Smile a lot, look energetic, like the outdoors/sun, and act like you love life!

Negotiation Details – No negotiating, I compared other hotels pay, but HR said the pay is set.

Catering Sales Manager Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2012.

Interview Details – Alll of starwood's interviews are behavior based. They asked about past experiences rather than the standard strength and weaknesses questions.

Interview Question – Please explain a time you had to confront a superior member of the company and how did it go?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director of Revenue Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – Time spent with each executive committee member

Interview Question – What was the most creative strategy you created?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Austin, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – Quick and easy! LOVE the hiring process!! Behavioral questions that showed the kind of person you are.

Interview Question – Making what was a negative situation into a positive.   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Interview Details – Starwood uses behavioral interviewing techniques. They want to hear a detailed story around the answer. Typically you want to focus on how your efforts as part of a team helped build the business. They have different questions based on the role they're interviewing for. Depending on the team, the interviews can be with several people. Starwood believes in hiring for attitude, train for skills. How the candidate fit into the team dynamic is very important.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you and your supervisor had a difference of opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The wheels of change at Starwood move VERY slowly. From the time I applied to the offer was more than 10 weeks. Starwood is a 'Total Compensation' company-they offer a yearly bonus (% based on your title). The yearly salary isn't typically very high, they depend largely on the bonus to bring in good talent.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starwood Hotels & Resorts interview questions and advice. All 172 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starwood Hotels & Resorts employees and interview candidates.