Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I only have been interviewed once, which was a bsic motivational interview with no hard questions, I am still waiting to hearing from them

Reservation Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

The process was fairly quick. Apply online, then receive a call to set up an interview as well as an assessment. If you pass that you will be sent for a drug test. Once that is returned you will be called and set up for orientation/training which is 30 days and needs 100% attendance.

Interview Questions
    • They follow the STAR process of questions. You can find videos explaining this process via YouTube.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, starting pay is set @ $10.50 per hr.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in April 2014.

Phone Interview, asked what I know about company....why Starwood? Then got a cal the next day from Manager, set up interview a day later. Came in and interviewed with Manager & Supervisor for around 30 minutes. They then had me meet with another Dept Head for a 5 minute one-on-one. Finally, they had me meet with HR to go over final details of position before accepting contingent offer that same day. Took about 2 hours total for the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. EX: Tell me about a time you handled adversity?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation on salary.

Fun Agent/Pool Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Applied, got a call by the hiring manager, did a phone interview (simple), interviewed with the hiring manager. Received a call 4 days later from HR to come in and was offered the job in person. All situational and behavioral questions. Make sure you have actual events that you have dealt with. Smile a lot, look energetic, like the outdoors/sun, and act like you love life!

No negotiating, I compared other hotels pay, but HR said the pay is set.

Director of Revenue Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Time spent with each executive committee member

Training Manager Interview

Starwood uses behavioral interviewing techniques. They want to hear a detailed story around the answer. Typically you want to focus on how your efforts as part of a team helped build the business. They have different questions based on the role they're interviewing for. Depending on the team, the interviews can be with several people. Starwood believes in hiring for attitude, train for skills. How the candidate fit into the team dynamic is very important.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and your supervisor had a difference of opinion.   Answer Question
    The wheels of change at Starwood move VERY slowly. From the time I applied to the offer was more than 10 weeks. Starwood is a 'Total Compensation' company-they offer a yearly bonus (% based on your title). The yearly salary isn't typically very high, they depend largely on the bonus to bring in good talent.

PMO Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I was interviewed by a person with less than 4 years experience who misinterpreted my answers, or confused me with someone else. By his own admission he wasn't qualified to conduct the interview due to lack of relevant experience as compared to my 15 + years. I am assuming my rejection was a mistake bought on by lack of experience or poor judgement. As a result, this particular PMO (Project Management Office) is off my list until things change there. I can't prove it, but Ageism might be an issue as well.

Interview Questions
    • Although he was somewhat unfocused in his approach, all of the questions were easily answered.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Quick and easy! LOVE the hiring process!! Behavioral questions that showed the kind of person you are.

Reservation Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I submitted my resume online, and within 8-12 hours, I had a callback requesting more information from me. They were very impressed it seems. I spoke to the very lovely representative, who gave me further details on what the position entailed. She was very warm and professional. I came in for an assessment, a call listening session, and interview, which was very awesome. The woman that interviewed me was very warm, and very funny. She was extremely professional and oozed her love of working at Starwood. It was a very awesome experience.

Interview Questions
    • Not terribly difficult at all, but you should not be blasé about it.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in March 2014.

Completed the online application prior to the company coming to my university's career fair. Due to inclement weather, our on-campus interview turned into a phone interview. The recruiter I spoke to asked about my preferences for location and departments and then proceeded to ask behavioral questions. Got to the second round of questions which were available through an online service, was given up to 3 chances to re-record.

Interview Questions
    • What was a conflict that you had with a co-worker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

The offer was not for the position above but for a direct hire. Due to unforseen circumstances, I could not accept the position at that time.