Starwood Hotels & Resorts

2.8

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

I applied for a position through the online application system and heard from an HR representative about three weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview (this key word will be important later) by HR for the Westin Hotel in the Houston Galleria. What I wasn't told is that this "interview" was just one of those "tell me about your qualifications" things that could have easily been completed over the phone. What's worse is it seemed as though the woman who "interviewed" me had not even read my resume as I was talking! You can tell the difference between the response of someone when your elaborating on something versus them hearing it for the first time...I experienced the second one. However, after about ten minutes of back & forth dialogue she did seem impressed. She then proceed to tell me about the culture and that many administrative assistant go one to be promoted to managers and the like. This sounded promised to me and she offered me the position...then she said that the position starts at $13.00/hr with benefits starting after 90 days. At that point I quite frankly asked had she even looked at my online application. There not only do they ask you have much your CURRENT pay is but also what you expect to be paid. I asked her how could she expect someone who gets paid more currently to accept that offer? She had no answer to that but said it's "industry standard pay" so I politely declined. I felt as though the entire experience was a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

The pay was 13.00/hr and benefits were not offered until after 90 days. No.

Sales In Timeshare Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2014.

Anyone can be hired, if you know how to dress and be on time.
    Telephone interview, then face to face. They have a new training class every month. Only 1 in 10 will stay. So you will be hired if you are willing to try. It's $10/hr. Pay is $10/hr draw.

Interview Questions
    Didn't need one. As I said, they will hire anyone.

Housekeeping Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in May 2014.

not long, hired within one week. Behavioral questions. Very nice staff that accommodated to my needs as I transitioned from my previous job. Overall an easy process if you have an answer to all the questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to tell an employee that he/she was doing something wrong and how did you get them to fix it?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Food and Beverage Server Interview

Phone screen then face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were under pressure to get a lot done quickly   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

I only have been interviewed once, which was a bsic motivational interview with no hard questions, I am still waiting to hearing from them

Reservation Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

The process was fairly quick. Apply online, then receive a call to set up an interview as well as an assessment. If you pass that you will be sent for a drug test. Once that is returned you will be called and set up for orientation/training which is 30 days and needs 100% attendance.

Interview Questions
    • They follow the STAR process of questions. You can find videos explaining this process via YouTube.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, starting pay is set @ $10.50 per hr.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in April 2014.

Phone Interview, asked what I know about company....why Starwood? Then got a cal the next day from Manager, set up interview a day later. Came in and interviewed with Manager & Supervisor for around 30 minutes. They then had me meet with another Dept Head for a 5 minute one-on-one. Finally, they had me meet with HR to go over final details of position before accepting contingent offer that same day. Took about 2 hours total for the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. EX: Tell me about a time you handled adversity?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation on salary.

Fun Agent/Pool Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Applied, got a call by the hiring manager, did a phone interview (simple), interviewed with the hiring manager. Received a call 4 days later from HR to come in and was offered the job in person. All situational and behavioral questions. Make sure you have actual events that you have dealt with. Smile a lot, look energetic, like the outdoors/sun, and act like you love life!

No negotiating, I compared other hotels pay, but HR said the pay is set.

Director of Revenue Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Time spent with each executive committee member

Training Manager Interview

Starwood uses behavioral interviewing techniques. They want to hear a detailed story around the answer. Typically you want to focus on how your efforts as part of a team helped build the business. They have different questions based on the role they're interviewing for. Depending on the team, the interviews can be with several people. Starwood believes in hiring for attitude, train for skills. How the candidate fit into the team dynamic is very important.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and your supervisor had a difference of opinion.   Answer Question
    The wheels of change at Starwood move VERY slowly. From the time I applied to the offer was more than 10 weeks. Starwood is a 'Total Compensation' company-they offer a yearly bonus (% based on your title). The yearly salary isn't typically very high, they depend largely on the bonus to bring in good talent.