Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Interview Details – Pretty standard interview - mostly behavioral questions (tell me about a time when...). Some interviewers will throw in their own questions, but nothing out of the ordinary - ie top 3 strengths and weaknesses. Be prepared to tell them what locations you could work in - obviously the more options you can give, the better the chance that they can find a property for you.

Technician Interview

Technician
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – Initial communication was timely. Process took about 2 weeks total. Received an offer soon after and accepted.

Negotiation Details – Research before accepting their first offer.

Winter Extern Interview

Winter Extern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through my university's career services site and was accepted for an interview. Ended up talking to the recruiters at the careeer fair, and had an interview later that day. Was a pretty standard interview, they asked about my courses, experience in the industry, information about my self, etc. They seemed to really like when I asked about how they got involved with the company, and asking about what it was like to work for Starwood.

Interview Question – "Please tell us about a time when you had to accept responsibility and take ownership of a situation when things didn't go according to plans?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As this was for an externship, there wasn't much negotiation... I got a call from the hotel they placed me with, and then from there someone from HR and I discussed to figure out set dates, when I'd fly in, when I'd fly out, etc.

Front Office Manager Interview

Front Office Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – I believe as most companies do, HR will pull applicants that are referrals above any other applicant. So it would be a good idea to get to know someone who works for the company. Once you get in, HR will do a simply pre-screening interview. The next interview will be with the HR manager, then if you're invited back, it will be with the department head.

Interview Question – They will ask behavioral type questions; the ones that typically start with the phrase, "Tell me about a time..." They will range from tasks/goals you've accomplished to dealing with difficult guests/associates.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After your interviews, they will send you an offer letter where you can either accept, decline, or negotiate. Always negotiate.

Cook II Interview

Cook II
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired through a temporary agency. I would be called in on an as needed basis and given assignments to complete. The worst part about this is that they scrutinize every single move you make. I worked there for three full days without a bathroom break.

Interview Question – There wasn't an actual interview with questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Front Desk Interview

Front Desk

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in January 2013.

Interview Details – Very relaxed interview with the Front Desk manager

Interview Question – Only difficult question was how I would handle a threatening situation   Answer Question

Convention Services Coordinator Interview

Convention Services Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a brief phone call from HR about my work history, wage, 3 words about me, and potential start date. Skype interview the following week with typical behavioral questions with the Director and HR Rep. The following week was a simple discussion with the Event Manager about the property. Took the position 2 days later.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had a change in management and how you dealt with it personally and as a group.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Director Interview

Director
Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

Interview Details – Career site was easy to use and it was very efficient to submit a resume and cover letter. I found the HR staff at Starwood to be very unreliable and not very helpful. One time I even had a phone interview postponed three times in a row (once was a complete no show by the HR person) just to have the HR person come on during the fourth try and tell me the position had been filled in the meantime. I know HR people have a lot thrown at them with dwindling resources, but I am a pretty flexible person and have to saw that there was a complete lack of professional courtesy.

In person interviews were actually quite the opposite. Very efficient, everyone at the company is very accommodating and pleasant to talk to. I was brought to a meeting room in the new Starwood headquarters (quite nice) and the interviewers came to me one by one. They just asked the standard questions and that evolved into a back and forth conversation. I ended up not being selected, but I have to say the in-person interview process was quite a good experience and they had a very reasonable explanation for why they made their decision.

Interview Question – None really. They asked a few typical interview questions then just took the conversation from there.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Interview Details – Pretty simple, most questions are to find out about fit and capabilities.

Interview Question – None really, no curveballs were thrown   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internship position, salary non-negotiable

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Stamford, CT

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in March 2012.

Interview Details – It's too tedious and such a long process. It starts to wear you down. They ask you to come in multiple times and meet with several people. Be prepare to meet with several people for 1/2 to entire day. They lose a lot of great talent.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Pay was too low.