Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.8

Resort Guide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in August 2013.

You will be asked a series of company approved screening questions to determine candidates drive for success. Must be pre-screened for drug use and a background check. And you must be a licensed real estate agent.

Standardized commission structure.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Pretty simple, most questions are to find out about fit and capabilities.

Internship position, salary non-negotiable

Convention Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

Applied online. Received a brief phone call from HR about my work history, wage, 3 words about me, and potential start date. Skype interview the following week with typical behavioral questions with the Director and HR Rep. The following week was a simple discussion with the Event Manager about the property. Took the position 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had a change in management and how you dealt with it personally and as a group.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

Career site was easy to use and it was very efficient to submit a resume and cover letter. I found the HR staff at Starwood to be very unreliable and not very helpful. One time I even had a phone interview postponed three times in a row (once was a complete no show by the HR person) just to have the HR person come on during the fourth try and tell me the position had been filled in the meantime. I know HR people have a lot thrown at them with dwindling resources, but I am a pretty flexible person and have to saw that there was a complete lack of professional courtesy.

In person interviews were actually quite the opposite. Very efficient, everyone at the company is very accommodating and pleasant to talk to. I was brought to a meeting room in the new Starwood headquarters (quite nice) and the interviewers came to me one by one. They just asked the standard questions and that evolved into a back and forth conversation. I ended up not being selected, but I have to say the in-person interview process was quite a good experience and they had a very reasonable explanation for why they made their decision.

Interview Questions
    • None really. They asked a few typical interview questions then just took the conversation from there.   Answer Question

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in July 2013.

The hiring process is long. There are two separate interviews and you must also complete a prior to hire online test. And you must complete a drug screen. The first interview you mostly just answer questions about what hours you are available (my suggestion is to say you are always available) and the second interview you answer simple behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it in a professional manner.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate at all.

Reservation Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2013.

Attended a company sponsored job fair held in Wichita, for the new call center. I don't think they expected as many people to attend as did, because what was supposed to be a 2 hour process took close to 5 hours. Otherwise it was a pretty easy process. I had already done the initial assessment before the job fair, so when I arrived I waited my turn for a 1:1 interview, then shortly after that I did the skills test, and was told that I would be notified by the end of the week. They called 2 days later and made a conditional offer, and I just found out yesterday that I passed the screens. So the whole process took about 2 weeks, which didn't surprise me given the number of people they are hiring for the opening.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond your required duties to satisfy a customer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation...I was told that everyone was being paid the same amount regardless while in training. It was take it or leave it.

@home Reservation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in June 2013.

I received a phone call from a person in HR to come in for an assessment. From the moment I walked into The Austin Starwood Call Center, i was greeted with smiles and friendly staff. I was given an interview in person and was truly blown away at how wonderful everything went. I highly respected the lady who spoke with me. She has worked there 29 years and you can tell that she loves her job.

Human Resources Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in May 2013.

Included background check, drug screening, employment verification. one on one interview with HR director

Fun Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

This company is amazing. I was running a couple of minutes late to my interview, due to unpredictable traffic issues off the freeway. My interviewer called to insure that I was still coming. She was very polite and professional. Once I arrived I was instructed to wait in the most relaxing room, because it was in fact the relaxation room. The staff and my interviewer made me want to join this company.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected element of the interview was the behavioral assessment. The gave me situations and instead of wanting to know what I would do; they wanted to know what I did in a similar situation.   Answer Question
    I am still in the process of interviewing. I was offered a different job for the same company.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starwood Hotels & Resorts in April 2013.

I found out about the job opening on school business facebook page. Sent in my email directly to the address listed on April 4th. Got a call on April 8,2013 from front office manager for interview with her on April 9,2013 at 1:00p.m. Got to the interview talked about customer service and what would I do if I had an unhappy guest. By 2:45 p.m. April 9,2013 I received a call offering me the position as a part-timer that can be full-time.

There was none pay is $11.00 an hour