Starwood Vacation Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.8

Vacation Services Coordinator (VSC) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

Basic interview questions, one on one with marketing manager. Background and drug test prior to hiring. Was dealing with some personal issues during the process, they were very lenient with scheduling and working with me.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions: Strengths? Weaknesses? Able to cold approach prospective clients?   Answer Question
    No negotiating, minimum hourly wage, expected to make commission. Failure to meet commission cap 3 months in row = termination, no exceptions.

Document Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, VI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, VI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

I had a telephone interview, interview with supervisor, and an interview with the on site Sales and Marketing Director. I had three interviews total. Your boss is stationed in Orlando so the initial interview with her/him is done over the phone.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

6 panel interviews conducted over 2 appointments; made it difficult to schedule since I was working elsewhere at the time. I don't know why I had to meet with all those people; I only worked with one of them! Typical questions; no surprises. The worst things: from application to start date took 3 months! Also, they don't tell you, but they only offer high deductible insurance, and you're not eligible for it until after you've completed 3 months - this is the case for all jobs there.

Interview Questions
    • The most knowledgeable people about your job ask the technical questions. All the others were behavioral softballs. "Why do you want to work for for us?"   Answer Question
    Back and forth with a recruiter. She left the offer on voicemail; I called back and left my counter on her voice mail. My counter was accepted.

Front Desk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

Quick process for hiring and interview is over the phone as well face to face.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Starwood Vacation in November 2013.

Applied online.

Was contacted a month or so later by an in house recruiter out of Phoenix for a phone screening. Basic questions regarding employment history. Recruiter concerned that I lived in surrounding county as opportunities paid substantially less that LA, OC, SD and that there was a high failure/ attrition rate with former employers who came to this regional office from those areas.

Another month and a half passed before being contacted to speak with the hiring manager in person. Interview lasted about an hour. Very thorough in regards to reviewing job requirements, relevant background/ employment history, and motivation for pursuing role. Was told that next step would take place the following week.

A couple weeks passed without contact from the team so I contacted the recruiter who stated that all candidates were still under consideration and that an updated decision would be provided either way.

A few more weeks passed and I called the recruiter and left a voicemail and sent an email requesting an update. Both attempts were met with dead silence.....

Interview Questions
    • Do you have plans to move to the Palm Springs area?
      Would you commit to not living further west than Beaumont, CA?
      Please walk me through your resume?
      Why did you leave your past roles?
      Why would you like to work here?
      Is there any reason that you believe that would keep you from being successful in this role?
        Answer Question

Vacation Planning Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

You apply online, they get you to take a pre-test. If they are interested they will call you for a phone interview. If they like you they will invite you in, and have you sit through an informational session where all of the supervisors are present, but you don't really know it's them. At the end they will break you into small groups for mass interviews. After the interview in a group of about four, they will ask you to stay or leave. If they ask you to stay they will interview you. You in a room with two managers. Usually one of them will be your supervisor if you get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly very straight forward run of the mill questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they offered $11 an hour, no chance to negotiate.

Director of Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation.

Initial communications consisted of 2 phone interviews. The there was a series of interviews on three separate occasions. I spoke with a total of 6 individual ranging from the CFO to Accounting Manager. The interviews were in depth each taking between 30-45 minutes. Everyone was pleasant and professional. While the process was quite drawn out, I was kept informed of the status of my application throughout.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions - The one that is always the most difficult to maneuver through is "What areas do you feel you could improve in?”   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starwood Vacation in February 2013.

4 Interviews

Project Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation in June 2012.

The interview process was rigorous. I did a phone interview, a 2 hour face to face interview with 4 different people from the department, and had to come back to interview with the VP of the department.

Interview Questions
    • The VP told me my answers sounded 'canned' and she didnt believe I could do the technical skills I had on my resume. She took me into her office and asked me to show her my excel formula skills...and I did. She still says that I knocked it out of the park.   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starwood Vacation in March 2012.

I applied with Starwood through my university's career fair. They contacted me to schedule a phone interview, which consisted of some behavioral questions as well as some specific financial "what -if" questions. I was then invited for a three hour in -person interview, whch consisted of three 45 minute interviews with one to two interviers. Questions asked were behavioral "tell me about a time when.." questions. The second type of questions were speccific financial and accounting questions asking for definitions as well as elaborative explanations.

Interview Questions
    • If you could only choose one of the following financial statements, which would you choose and why? Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cashflows. There is no right or wrong, but need to justify and explain your decision.   Answer Question