State Auto Financial

State Auto Financial Interview Questions

3.5

Customer Response Coordinator--Administrative Support II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Auto Financial in July 2013.

This was, without a doubt, the worst interview experience I have ever been through in my working life.

I saw this position online when I was searching for administrative positions and applied. Approximately 2-3 weeks later, I was sent an email by the company's recruiting area, advising me that they would like me to fill out a full application and set up a phone interview the next week. I was told that I would be contacted after the phone interview within a couple weeks. True to their word (the only time), I was contacted by the manager in the department and told that they wanted to do 4 separate interviews and all the people who would attend wouldn't be available to do them for approximately a month. Well, I agreed, thinking that if anything else came up in the mean time, I would let them know.

Since nothing came up, I attended the 3 interviews (one person ended up not showing anyway) after doing much preparation and feel as though I performed exceptionally well. I was told that after this series of interviews, they would narrow it down to two candidates who they all believed could do the job. After that, the final two went on to a final interview with the Chief Strategy and Organization Effectiveness Officer for her pick of "who fit in with the team the best". I was one of those two.

I came in for the final interview with the Chief Strategy and Organization Effectiveness Officer after having to wait ANOTHER three weeks because she was traveling/on vacation. I felt as though we had a great interview/interaction and came away from the interview feeling confident. I was told the decision would be made within the week--oh wait, it will be another week because there is another person on vacation. Okay. You'll hear from us Wednesday at 4:00 pm. Wednesday at 4:50 pm, I received the call (with no apology for wasting my time) letting me know that they didn't feel confident that either of us could do the job and they would be re-listing it. That's right, after nearly three months of this nonsense, neither of us were good enough! Unreal.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. I REPEAT--STAY AWAY! They have no regard for your time and, if you read reviews from their customers online, they have horrendously bad service. They don't advertise, so no one (even in the Columbus area, where they were founded!) knows who they are. Every single time they promised to call or be in contact, they were always late and never apologized. You deserve better, and so do I. Not getting this job was a blessing.

Interview Questions
    • If I attended a party for you where all your previous bosses and co-workers were attending, what would they tell me stood out about you?   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Auto Financial in March 2010.

I applied online through their web site and was contacted via email by the hiring supervisor to set up an interview -- no contact from HR or any phone screen first. The first round of interviews was with multiple people, but sequentially, not in a panel. All four asked questions from a list of 75 behavioral interviews questions provided to them by HR. Because there was no coordination between them, I had to answer many identical questions for each interviewer. Each had a copy of my resume in front of them, covered in notes. If was obvious that it had been gone over in detail in preparation for the interview, however none of the interviewers ever referred to it. They all stated that they had read my resume and felt that I met or exceeded their requirements.

Second round was 2 weeks later with the supervisor's manager and was exactly the same: behavioral interview questions only. None of the interviewers initiated a discussion of my job history or skills or asked any open-ended question such as "Is there anything else you would like to tell me about your relevant experience?" I was never asked any questions related to expected compensation.

They decided to hire an internal candidate.

I had no real opportunity to expand on what was on my resume, but each interviewer gave me the opportunity to ask them questions. I was kept informed of the process and was treated very well. I was surprised that I was not asked any specific technical questions or even asked for references. Everyone with whom I interviewed presented a positive image of the company and their experiences working there. I intend to apply for other positions here in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to give bad news to your manager?   Answer Question

Financial Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Auto Financial in February 2010.

First , apply online
    The national recruting team will contact you for a phone interview if selected
    Then you are asked to go to a on-site interview an d meet with people you will directly work with. Each of them has a cheat sheet that contains around 10 canned questions
    Lastly you are asked back to have an interview with higher level people

Interview Questions
    • what difficulties have you encountered related to tech?   View Answer

Internal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Auto Financial in February 2010.

Application, phone screen, and in-person, competency based interview that was very comprehensive. I met with 6 different people of varying levels to ensure I aligned with the culture and job responsibilities. I also had the opportunity to meet with the team and leaders I'd be working with and for, and had a brief tour of the facility.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed in the delivery of a project. What did you learn and how did you overcome it?   View Answer
    Smooth, easy and fair. Througout this process, the people were kind and supportive, and I now know it was a preview of the kind, people-oriented culture that State Auto is known for.