State Farm Agent Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.7

Agent Interview

Interview

Internet first then structured interview then business plan proposal.

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm in April 2009.

Interview

Phone interview followed by online assessment for sales personality followed by extensive recruitment info seminars. Did not find that their practice of requiring you to invest in building a business, which the company then owned was compatible with my concepts of equity and reasanble investment criteria. They were very upfront and provided helpful guidelines, but make no commitments and make you compete for locations with no idea of whether the extensicve timing and investment issues would pay off.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. As long as you think of what the right answer for a sales person is, and express willingness to invest a lot of your own money in building their business, they will take you on.   Answer Question

See above, could have been another year or more before a suitable position was offered

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at State Farm in April 2012.

Interview

Met their recruiter at a job fair and attended a hosted lunch/presentation. The interviewing process is rather easy since the majority of their decision is based upon the results of your online assessment and how well you develop your proposed business plan. If you're made up of the right mix of personality and business savvy, you'll probably do well. The recruiters are very nice people, and all the agents I met seem to love working there. One of the biggest hurdles to joining this company is that you need to be able to afford your own business start-up expenses. Since you're actually developing your own company (only selling State Farm products from your agency), they expect that you'll be able to provide your own seed money up front in order to get your company up and running.

Interview Questions

• Why did you select this particular demographic as your targeted customer base?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Johnsbury, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm (Saint Johnsbury, VT) in August 2013.

Interview

While this all started off well, things deteriorated over time. In my case, I had to wait and chase after the regional manager. I started proposal work and talking with agents before my meeting. Some were very pro, some were very con. To make a long story short, I was the driving factor -- perhaps a motivation test. But, as I neared close to 100 hours of prep work prior to a "presentation review", and finally got some hard data I was looking for from the manager 2 days prior. I came to the conclusion what they wanted was mathematically impossible in the desired territory -- which it sounds like they didn't particularly care about. I did my work late at night..... as I was running a business. Things are kept "mysterious" until you reach the "next level". It was an agent who told me that training was 3 months several states away.

Interview Questions

• None. It was straightforward. It simply seemed like a very long process, with questionable return. I blew the presentation. But, by that point, I thought the whole thing was somewhat bizarre. Lots of support from the recruiter and the initial company helper. Very lax manager -- which had me worried.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm (Orange, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

1st took online test on personality 2nd phone interview 3rd completed online info about S.F. 4th met with supervisor and agents on what to expect as an agent 5th started business plan 6th interview about business plan and who i am 7th choose city to open agency in 8th interview for that location 9th school for 9 months 10th intern for a couple months 11th open agency.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to make a decision that had a lose lose outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary........ It doesn’t hurt to ask

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at State Farm in November 2009.

Interview

Hiring process consisted of an online application. This was followed up by a state farm recruitor calling and setting up a phone interview. The recruitor then set up an in person interview over lunch which lasted about an hour. Next I was required to take an online skills and assessment test which would be followed up with additional interviews.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take out a loan to help support your business?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State Farm (Ban Phone Savang (Laos)) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial communication was good. They make it sound great, as they should! Once your hopes are high they send you a personality test. I should have taken the recruiters advice. Be proud of yourself! The test was taken by there top agents who of course answer high. I was honest. Proud of my accomplishments without embellishing things. If you like to boost and brag about yourself the test will be easy. Ironically another insurance agent said I was exactly what they look for in agents. Apparently State Farms test thinks otherwise. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They were basic questions. not really an interview until you pass the initial test.   Answer Question