State Farm

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and interviewed at State Farm.

Interview Details – Process has significantly changed over twenty plus years. Initially focused on subject matter expertise and education, training and specific work experiences. Interviews were conducted by senior management with long tenure and significant company exposure. Last series of interviews at Corporate were increasingly conducted as situational question and answer sessions and run by junior leaders with relatively short company histories.

Interview Question – Focus on standardized situational question format rather than exploring technical expertise for specific job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Start date flexible.

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State Farm.

Interview Details – STAR process was used.

Interview Question – Please describe a time in your career when you had to deal with difficult coworkers?   View Answer

Bloomington, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in July 2012.

Interview Details – After email exchanges, initial interview was a video-call with recruiter (outside vendor) for IT job, then a discussion with an employee (of the recruiter) in the work area, followed by 2 discussions/interviews with a corporate manager. All of this was done long-distance due to me living/working out of the USA, up until the job offer.

Interview Question – What examples of your current or past experience have prepared you for this role?   Answer Question

Bloomington, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at State Farm.

Interview Details – Group interview. People were nice and asked probing questions about business and technology relevant to their day to day activities.

Interview Question – What's a good day for you? What's a bad day for you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult. I felt extremely low balled by my initial offer and the negotiated offer wasn't much better, but the economy was so tough.

Bloomington, IL

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in February 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online. They called me to set up a pre-interview test. Tested and met with HR representative for department. Set up a 2nd interview with hiring manager and her peer. Had a 1 hour discussion/interview with them. They asked about my skill set and knowledge of State Farm. Had a 3rd phone interview with hiring manager and different peer to discuss education and likes/dislikes. Was offered position 3 days later. Whole process lasted about 45 days. Great company!

Interview Question – What qualifies you for this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I was familiar with the company and we are in a recession. I was happy with their initial offer.

Bloomington, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at State Farm in October 2007.

Interview Details – The initial conversation worked through contacts from previous temporary positions. I believe that there was no HR representation present during the interview because of that.

I was never asked any situational questions... most revolved around past accomplishments and the tools and techniques I used. I believe that is very different than most of the positions within the company.

In general, fitting into the midwestern culture of State Farm is very important. I was surprised to find that my management was so quantitatively minded.

Interview Question – No question really stuck out, but I knew what they were looking for going in... State Farm is very committed to a few large vendors and, in technical positions, interviewers often look to see those technologies (SAS, Websphere, DB2) on the resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process in my situation.

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at State Farm in November 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was standard. Asked about past employment, why I was interested in the position, and undergraduate/graduate work (my thesis). Interview took place at HQ with direct supervisor, then a panel of management, followed by panel of co-workers. Standard questions with some solid questions about the field and how it would be applied to work. 1 page write up of mock analysis was required, management panel asked questions based on the analysis.

Interview Question – What caused the financial crisis?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate pay, but only got a small increase. They countered with an end-of-first-year bonus in addition to the small bump in pay. Most other dimensions were set. Location is likely something that could be negotiated and seemed flexible once I started the analyst position.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!