State Farm

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source – interviewed at State Farm.

Process has significantly changed over twenty plus years. Initially focused on subject matter expertise and education, training and specific work experiences. Interviews were conducted by senior management with long tenure and significant company exposure. Last series of interviews at Corporate were increasingly conducted as situational question and answer sessions and run by junior leaders with relatively short company histories.

Interview Questions
  • Focus on standardized situational question format rather than exploring technical expertise for specific job.   View Answer
Start date flexible.

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in September 2013.

I first encountered State Farm at my University's Fall Career Fair. After a brief discussion with a recruiter and giving them my resume, I was asked to complete an initial interview the next day. The first interview lasted about an hour and was with 3 other analysts. Then, a few weeks later, I was invited to complete a second in-person interview when they returned to my school's campus. This interview was about an hour and a half, and was with two analysts from their HQ as well as one analyst from my first interview. Roughly two weeks after that interview I received a job offer from the HR department including details and salary amount. I was hired in early November after initially interviewing in late September.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you conveyed difficult information to someone in a way that was easily understood.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate my initial salary because it was more than fair compared to other company's starting BA salaries. I was successful in negotiating a slight change to my start date. This negotiation happened during the Spring semester and changed my start date from early June to mid July.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

STAR process was used.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time in your career when you had to deal with difficult coworkers?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

Group interview. People were nice and asked probing questions about business and technology relevant to their day to day activities.

Interview Questions
    Difficult. I felt extremely low balled by my initial offer and the negotiated offer wasn't much better, but the economy was so tough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in July 2012.

After email exchanges, initial interview was a video-call with recruiter (outside vendor) for IT job, then a discussion with an employee (of the recruiter) in the work area, followed by 2 discussions/interviews with a corporate manager. All of this was done long-distance due to me living/working out of the USA, up until the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What examples of your current or past experience have prepared you for this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2009.

Applied online. They called me to set up a pre-interview test. Tested and met with HR representative for department. Set up a 2nd interview with hiring manager and her peer. Had a 1 hour discussion/interview with them. They asked about my skill set and knowledge of State Farm. Had a 3rd phone interview with hiring manager and different peer to discuss education and likes/dislikes. Was offered position 3 days later. Whole process lasted about 45 days. Great company!

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. I was familiar with the company and we are in a recession. I was happy with their initial offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Farm in October 2007.

The initial conversation worked through contacts from previous temporary positions. I believe that there was no HR representation present during the interview because of that.

I was never asked any situational questions... most revolved around past accomplishments and the tools and techniques I used. I believe that is very different than most of the positions within the company.

In general, fitting into the midwestern culture of State Farm is very important. I was surprised to find that my management was so quantitatively minded.

Interview Questions
    • No question really stuck out, but I knew what they were looking for going in... State Farm is very committed to a few large vendors and, in technical positions, interviewers often look to see those technologies (SAS, Websphere, DB2) on the resume.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process in my situation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State Farm in November 2010.

Phone interview was standard. Asked about past employment, why I was interested in the position, and undergraduate/graduate work (my thesis). Interview took place at HQ with direct supervisor, then a panel of management, followed by panel of co-workers. Standard questions with some solid questions about the field and how it would be applied to work. 1 page write up of mock analysis was required, management panel asked questions based on the analysis.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate pay, but only got a small increase. They countered with an end-of-first-year bonus in addition to the small bump in pay. Most other dimensions were set. Location is likely something that could be negotiated and seemed flexible once I started the analyst position.