State Farm Claim Associate Express Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2015

2.0

Claim Associate - Express Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Timeline & E-mail Correspondence: I applied online for the Claim Associate - Express position on 7/19. I was emailed by an HR admin on 7/22 and asked to sign a disclosure form before they would release the skills test (2 tests; State Farm screening battery & SkilTrak assessment). After taking the assessments I was contacted on 7/27 by a different HR admin who said I was selected for a 30 min phone interview. In the email the HR admin said I would be interviewing for the Claim Associate-ILR position that pays $27,001 (non-negotiable). I had applied for the Claim Associate - Express position that pays just over $29k. (Side note: The $29k salary was already way below what I was being paid in my previous position. I was willing to accept the pay cut because I wanted to get my foot in the door at State Farm.) I emailed the HR admin back and asked if it would be possible to be interviewed for the Claim Associate - Express position; the job that I had originally applied for. Otherwise, I would have to respectfully decline the invitation for the Claim Associate - ILR interview. The HR admin responded saying, "At this time we are not conducting Express interviews." My application was withdrawn. On 8/3 I was contacted by a different HR admin saying "You have been selected for a 30-minute phone interview regarding the ***Claim Associate-ILR and/or Claim Associate-Express*** job opportunities... The Claim Associate-Express entry-level annual compensation rate is $29,016 and Claim Associate-ILR rate is $ 27,001. This salary is non-negotiable." I thought great! I emailed the HR admin back and said that I would be interested in interviewing for the Claim Associate - Express position. The HR admin responded saying that I had withdrawn my app because of compensation. In my response email I had explained what I had told the previous HR admin, and that I am still interested in interviewing for the Claim Associate - Express position that pays $29,016 per their first email. In response to my email the HR admin said "Unfortunately, we don't have an Express openings at this time. We only have the ILR opening which the compensation is $ 27,001. Please continue to check our website for other opportunities in Express later in the year. I'll withdraw you from the posting now." My thoughts: I would have been better off attending an in-person, open house. It has been a waste of time, and aggravating, dealing with the back and forth emails with multiple HR admins. I am totally turned off by how I was treated as a job candidate. It is not true that State Farm is not currently seeking Claim Associate - Express candidates. State Farm held an open house advertising that specific position on August 4 here in Phoenix. I also want to point out that the State Farm HR admin sent me an email with poor grammar. I didn't make a typo when I typed "Unfortunately, we don't have an Express openings..." above. That is the exact quote from the State Farm admin email to me. There were other typos but I don't want to get sidetracked. If State Farm is about quality customer service, shouldn't they be treating prospective employees the same way as "paying" customers?! It's called internal and external customer service. One last thing... State Farm - If you want to attract top talent, offer a living wage. Also, consider training your employees to be truthful and professional in their interactions with potential employees and/or customers.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to interview for a lesser paying (non-negotiable) job, that you didn't apply for?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

You had to do an online questionnaire and complete a test about your computer and typing skills. Phone interview asked background questions on resume, customer service questions. Be ready to tell a specific situation to answer some questions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to turn a customer experience around? Describe your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Very easy process. I applied online after a recommendation from an employee. All recruiters were helpful & HireRight had a quick turn around on my background check & drug test.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The starting pay for the class I'm entering is 31,100.00

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

2 months. Applied online. Received an email about 48 hours later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview went well, scenario questions. Offered position at end of call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job in December. About 2 weeks later I got an email stating that I had been selected to move forward and had to take three separate tests including a typing test, personality assessment, and a competency test. I received a response about 2 weeks later and was asked what times I would be available for a telephone interview. Even though I had been specific about the days and times, I was not contacted until two weeks after the days I had set up. I received a call exactly at the new designated time and participated in a telephone interview. The woman on the other end of the phone was extremely friendly and energetic which made me feel more comfortable and at ease. Upon the closing of the interview I was offered a position and was advised of a 9 week training period. I was also advised that my employment is contingent on a satisfactory background check as well as a drug screening. My advice is to prepare for the interview in advance. This will eliminate a lot of babbling because of nerves. Also, research a little information about the company. This will definitely go a long way with the interviewer. It's always good to know some background about the company you are trying to work for. This will also help you to score some points during the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty standard: Why did you choose State Farm? How did you handle a difficult situation at work? When was a time that you were criticized at work and why? How did you deal with a difficult customer? Have you ever had to resolve an issue between two employees? Make sure to answer all interview questions using the STAR method.   Answer Question

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Applied at website and was contacted within a week for assessments. Next I was invited for a phone screening and offered a conditional job offer upon completing drug screening and spanish fluency test.

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online about 2 weeks later I received an email stating that State Farm was interested in me and I would be called at a later time to schedule a phone interview. I received a call from a sweet lady from El Paso, TX she stated that my phone interview would be the following Tuesday at 9am. That Friday rolled around and I received another call from the same lady informing me that my interview would have to be pushed back due to my interviewer being on leave due to sickness. We scheduled the interview for the following Thursday at 9am. I received a call from Heather the hiring manager on Thursday morning. The interview lasted about 35 minutes. She asked the standard interview questions. After we were completed she informed me that she thought I would be a perfect fit for the company. She told me that for the start time in which I wanted to begin, that the classroom was full so I would have to attend the session that was 3 months later!! Then she began to inform me of the pay, training ( how you have to do a licensing exam and have a minimum of three attempts to pass the test or you would be terminated) and hours that I would be working. Before we got off the phone she told me she would be sending me information about completing the background check and drug screen. Also she told me that she will push for me to start at the earlier date since it seemed as if I really wanted that time opposed to the one three months later, which I definitely appreciated. I did the background screen through a company called hireright and the drug screen for that matter. I did the background check and two days later they asked me for a check stub from my previous workplace which I was able to provide the next day and I went in for the drug test, a urine test, and the first test came back as inconclusive which Heather told me is normal. So two days later I did another drug test and passed that one and my background check came back good. So I received one last call from Heather informing me that I received the job and she would send an official offer through email.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions...(name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle that situation, what was the outcome)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, they are upfront and let it be known that there are no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Tacoma, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Since I had been a stay-at-home mom for a number of years, the recruiter said I would be more competitive applying for ILR Associate. He would not consider me for Express

Interview Questions

• Asked me to describe my customer service experience in previous jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Submitted application and probably two weeks for an email to take 2 assessments. Afterwards maybe a month or two later, they call you to do a over the phone interview and most likely offer employment.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any specific questions, the interview was very brief. If you have previous call center experience the questions are very relatable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was negotiation involved. They offer base salary.

Claims Associate-Express Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

I applied for probably 15 positions, each one with a slightly lower salary than the previous. State Farm prefers to hire on the ground floor (auto claims) and promote from within. If you want to work for State Farm, you should plan on applying for ILR-Auto or Express-Auto and work your way up/over from there. They each, typically, have only one interview--a phone interview.