State Farm Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at State Farm in August 2015.

Interview

I was contacted online for an interview via monster.com. I had a 5 minute phone interview and was asked to interview in person at the district office. After waiting 30 minutes past my interview time I was greeted and told the person who was supposed to interview with me was in a meeting that was running long. I then met with two different people. They were both very sweet, honest, and professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work for State Farm? What experience do you have in Sales?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at State Farm (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

They are very professional people and they are on time about everything. They were also every laid back and straight to the point. However, they do believe in handling business so if you are not about your business, you may not need to apply. Please do your research on the company.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Submitted application online. Received email next day to fill out pre-interview forms. Next day received email asking me to take required pre-employment tests. Next day received email that I had passed tests and could expect to receive a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. (word of advice: CHECK YOUR SPAM MAIL. You could potentially miss their emails as it seems it is common for them to go to spam, based on other reviews) Received call the following day and scheduled interview for Monday of the next week. Interviewer called promptly at scheduled time. Spent about 5 minutes going over benefits (which are actually pretty great, and this is coming from someone who previously worked in government), job description and expectations. Job is basically in a call center and you are required to take a certain amount of calls per day, then spend the other half of the day working through claims. After that, I was asked what I know about State Farm, why I chose to apply there and what interested me about the job. After that I was asked 3 or 4 behavioral questions (be sure to answer in STAR format) including: a time I had to adapt to a change at work and how I prepared for it, a time I had to communicate a difficult idea or process and how I checked for understanding, a time I had to deal with a demanding customer and a time I was given critical feedback. After I finished answering the final question, I was asked if I had any questions. I asked about daily activities, what it would take to be successful in the role and what the atmosphere was like. My questions were answered in a very professional but informative manner. I had no other questions, so was expecting to be told to expect a call for an in-person interview, but was surprised when I was offered the job right then and there without having to appear face-to-face. Part of me thought that was strange, but the other part was happy because, really, interviews are stressful, so if I can skip a step, even better! I was told the start date would be about a month out and I would need to submit to a background check and drug test prior to a formal offer being put forth. I received several emails outlining all of the things I would need to complete within a certain time frame (time is of the essence!), completed the items and then received my formal offer. I genuinely appreciate how informative the whole process is/was. It is very refreshing to be kept in the loop throughout each step and to always know where you stand during the process. I find this company, so far, to be very professional and run much more smoothly than other companies I have interviewed with recently. I am looking forward to being an employee.

Interview Questions

• None, really, but giving an example of a time you received critical feedback is a tricky question because you don't really want it to seem like you are the type to make huge mistakes or are in need of constant coaching.   9 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, at least in my case. I was told it was a take it or leave it salary (they are hiring a TON of people right now, so I'm sure it's basically like, "Oh..you don't like the pay? NEXT!" The starting pay is fairly decent, though.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for about 5 positions...got turned down for two thought it was done but then about 2 weeks later got an email for a phone interview. Did the interview and it went okay. At first he was telling me every reason I would not want to work there and it would be different than what I have done. But in the end he offered me the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• I only got asked why state farm? And told how hard it would be to go from a small company teacher to a large corporation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm (Richardson, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

was referred by my sister who is currently works @SF. applied for 3 positions (customer service rep, claims ilr, & claims express). 11/20/14: applied online thru SF careers site. 11/21/14: received email with pre-employment test instructions. took tests same day. 3 tests, typing, data entry/call center, & behavioral. 11/25/14: received email to chose day and time for 45 minute phone interview. 12/01/14: phone interview set for 1pm they called @1:05. nice lady from IL went over position details then began questioning. be prepared with SPECIFIC examples. she asked for me to specify a few times. it was difficult but i got thru it by bullshitting. fingers crossed! she said they'd be deciding anywhere from a few days to 2weeks. call ended @1:35! i pray i get it! good luck everyone

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, your career, and schooling   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had a difficult customer that you werent able to make happy and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • tell me a time when your coworkers were not getting along and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • tell me a time that you had a great customer service experience   Answer Question
    • have you ever been involuntarily terminated from a position   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and were able to help them turn it into a positive experience   Answer Question

Negotiation

set @ 25,000/yr... about 12 an hour. no negotiating

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Farm (Richardson, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

5.29.14: Applied for position. I took the pre-employment tests April 2014. 6.11.14: Interviewed via phone with recruiter. Lasted 30 minutes. Asked, 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) Why State Farm? 3) Situation where you needed to obtain info. 4) Disgruntled customer. 5) Quality of report compromised. 6) Handling a lot of data. 7) Demanding customer. Questions asked starting with, "Tell me about a time...". Responded using STAR format; Situation, Task, Action, Result.Brief description of job was given. Days and work hours were given. Two opportunities to get licensed. Told it would be 2-3 weeks before a response was received due to reviewing internal applicants. (E-mail and call received 6.6.14) 6.30.14: Interviewed with a panel of 3. They were all very personable. Lasted 35 minutes. They explained that the interview was structured and they would be taking notes, so there may be little eye contact. I asked if I could also take notes. Asked 1) Tell us about yourself. 2) Time given critical feedback, what did you do, outcome? 3) Major change, how did you prepare? 4) Difficult idea, how did you communicate, approach taken, how did you check for understanding? 5) Steps to solve problem, best way, why, why not? 6) Excellent customer service given. Responded using STAR format. Key words/phrases they used when explaining job: Licensing, Litigation Claims, Providers against State Farm, Case Law, Deposed. They asked if I had any final words. No mention was made of when I would be contacted. (E-mail and call received 6.24.14) 7.8.14: Received 2 E-mails stating selected for Claim Representative position in Claim Central at State Farm! Offer subject to acceptable background check and drug screen. Drug screen instructions also received from HireRight. 7.9.14: Received a call from the recruiter explaining and offering the job. She stated that the call should have been before the e-mail. 7.17.14: Received call from recruiter that background check and drug screen were acceptable and would receive E-mail to complete I-9. 7.18.14: I-9 e-mail received. 8.11.14: Start date! Word of Advice: Tailor your 'tell me about yourself' to the duties, responsibilities, knowledge and skills needed that are listed on the job description. Good luck~

Interview Questions

• The 'quality of report compromised' question from the recruiter was awkward. I triple check things and keep copies to avoid issues with my work/assignments. I made this clear in my answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation.

Claim Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Took test and interviewed with HR then another interview with the hiring managers

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State Farm in April 2014.

Interview

Applied via their website. within 3 days, I received an e-mail asking me to complete assessments. These tests included data entry, typing, personality, and logic testing. If you pass those, you are called by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview is prompt, and took an hour. They ask scenario based questions... Tell me a time when, how you handled it and the result. If you do well in the interview process, they will propose an offer on the spot. There is no 1:1 interview that is face to face. Then they use a company called Hire Right to perform back ground checks, drug screening, etc. Start date is 2 months after phone interview (in my case). The also expect you to be able to handle a very strict schedule (they plan out your day from beginning to end) and you need to be flexible with times of the day for work schedule as it varies. If you miss any tasks requested by hire right through email and dont respond or do what they ask, your offer is voided. I haven't started yet to provide office info. It is a cubical setting.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were really difficult. you just have to have scenarios ready and be ready to give the situation, how you handled it and the result. Some questions were: Tell me a time you disagreed with a boss and how you handled it? or tell me a time you worked as part of a team and they weren't pulling their weight and how you handled it, etc.   8 Answers

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Everything's pretty straight forward, typical interview/human resources type questions.

Interview Questions

• during the pre-test, they repeat some of the questions, I guess to make sure you're answering honestly.   1 Answer

Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Farm (Frederick, MD).

Interview

Filled out an online application. Was asked to do online testing which included data entry. Phone interview came next and around a month later my face to face interview. (They no longer do face to face interviews) All the interview questions need to be answered in the STAR format so think up various situations prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had difficulty with a coworker and how did you resolve the situation?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation