State Farm Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2014

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in June 2014.

5.29.14: Applied for position. I took the pre-employment tests April 2014.

6.11.14: Interviewed via phone with recruiter. Lasted 30 minutes.
Asked, 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) Why State Farm? 3) Situation where you needed to obtain info. 4) Disgruntled customer. 5) Quality of report compromised. 6) Handling a lot of data. 7) Demanding customer.
Questions asked starting with, "Tell me about a time...". Responded using STAR format; Situation, Task, Action, Result.Brief description of job was given. Days and work hours were given. Two opportunities to get licensed. Told it would be 2-3 weeks before a response was received due to reviewing internal applicants.
(E-mail and call received 6.6.14)

6.30.14: Interviewed with a panel of 3. They were all very personable. Lasted 35 minutes. They explained that the interview was structured and they would be taking notes, so there may be little eye contact. I asked if I could also take notes.
Asked 1) Tell us about yourself. 2) Time given critical feedback, what did you do, outcome? 3) Major change, how did you prepare? 4) Difficult idea, how did you communicate, approach taken, how did you check for understanding? 5) Steps to solve problem, best way, why, why not? 6) Excellent customer service given.
Responded using STAR format.
Key words/phrases they used when explaining job:
Licensing, Litigation Claims, Providers against State Farm, Case Law, Deposed.
They asked if I had any final words. No mention was made of when I would be contacted.
(E-mail and call received 6.24.14)

7.8.14: Received 2 E-mails stating selected for Claim Representative position in Claim Central at State Farm! Offer subject to acceptable background check and drug screen.
Drug screen instructions also received from HireRight.

7.9.14: Received a call from the recruiter explaining and offering the job. She stated that the call should have been before the e-mail.

7.17.14: Received call from recruiter that background check and drug screen were acceptable and would receive E-mail to complete I-9.

7.18.14: I-9 e-mail received.

8.11.14: Start date!

Word of Advice: Tailor your 'tell me about yourself' to the duties, responsibilities, knowledge and skills needed that are listed on the job description.

Good luck~

Interview Questions
  • The 'quality of report compromised' question from the recruiter was awkward. I triple check things and keep copies to avoid issues with my work/assignments. I made this clear in my answer.   Answer Question
There wasn't any negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for State Farm

Claim Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Took test and interviewed with HR then another interview with the hiring managers

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in April 2014.

Applied via their website. within 3 days, I received an e-mail asking me to complete assessments. These tests included data entry, typing, personality, and logic testing. If you pass those, you are called by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview is prompt, and took an hour. They ask scenario based questions... Tell me a time when, how you handled it and the result. If you do well in the interview process, they will propose an offer on the spot. There is no 1:1 interview that is face to face. Then they use a company called Hire Right to perform back ground checks, drug screening, etc. Start date is 2 months after phone interview (in my case). The also expect you to be able to handle a very strict schedule (they plan out your day from beginning to end) and you need to be flexible with times of the day for work schedule as it varies. If you miss any tasks requested by hire right through email and dont respond or do what they ask, your offer is voided. I haven't started yet to provide office info. It is a cubical setting.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really difficult. you just have to have scenarios ready and be ready to give the situation, how you handled it and the result. Some questions were: Tell me a time you disagreed with a boss and how you handled it? or tell me a time you worked as part of a team and they weren't pulling their weight and how you handled it, etc.   View Answers (8)

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

Everything's pretty straight forward, typical interview/human resources type questions.

Interview Questions
    • during the pre-test, they repeat some of the questions, I guess to make sure you're answering honestly.   View Answer

Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

Filled out an online application. Was asked to do online testing which included data entry. Phone interview came next and around a month later my face to face interview. (They no longer do face to face interviews) All the interview questions need to be answered in the STAR format so think up various situations prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had difficulty with a coworker and how did you resolve the situation?   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

Application (they wanted every job I ever had), phone scheduling of timed aptitude-style test (reading comprehension, math), situational-based interview with three team managers that took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with leadership. Why? How did you address it?   Answer Question
    The interview team attempted to get me a starting pay higher than typical since I already had 5 yrs. claims handling experience with another company. They had to get approval from the VP. The salary was rejected by the VP on the basis that I have better benefits with this company than what I previously had. I accepted a salary only $2K more than non-experienced, straight-out-of-college new hires received. However, management was able to advance me to a "senior" level CR earlier than usual and the salary that comes with the level promotion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concordville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concordville, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Farm.

It's a panel interview, most of the managers try to make you feel comfortable. They know you will be nervous. They ask behavioral type interview questions. They aren't that bad but make sure you have concrete answers to give.

Interview Questions
    • Give us a time when you disagreed with your boss, what happened and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    There really wasn't one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DuPont, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in January 2014.

First there is a pre-employment process, which consists of onlines testing. If you successfully pass, the next step is the phone interview. If State Farm is interested in you at this point you will be asked to interview in front of a panel. The process takes approximately 3 -4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The first part of the phone interview was as expected. The HRM wanted to know about me and why I chose State Farm. The second part of the interview was difficult. She asked questions that were related to behavior, how I responded in certain situations. I have been out of work for six years, but during this time I attended four years of college. Most of my experiences had to come from the challenges I faced in school. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary but she wanted detail, and specifics. I was corrected a few times because I was generalizing and not giving my exact response, such as what I said to an individual or how my attitude was. I was not prepared for this.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

I was so excited to receive an email from a State Farm recruiter regarding my online application. I completed the assessments plus the phone interview and was offered a contingent job offer. I signed the disclosures that came after that but missed the email regarding the drug screening. I had 72 hours to follow through but unfortunately missed the window and was politely told the job offer was no longer valid. Very disappointed in myself but also the company since I was not given any repeal options. A hard lesson learned...

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question I had was to talk about my degree program from an east coast university (BS in Business Administration).   Answer Question

My offer was rescinded because I failed to follow through on the 72 hour notice for the drug screening. There were a lot of back and forth emails from different sources (background check) and it was innocently overlooked. Very disappointed in myself and the system. According to the State Farm's policy, I am categorized the same as a candidate testing positive and must wait 12 months to reapply for a position in their company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DuPont, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Farm.

First, I took an exam that tested my quantitative and qualitative reasoning. After I completed the exam, I went into a panel interview. There was about six interviewers. Many of the questions were general interview questions about whether I preferred to work in a team or individually, and how I handled conflict with other team members. I also was put through a mock phone interview with an angry customer.

Interview Questions
    • An interviewer asked me about whether I was interested in management.   View Answer