State Farm Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.7

Claims Representative Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Submitted application online. Received email next day to fill out pre-interview forms. Next day received email asking me to take required pre-employment tests. Next day received email that I had passed tests and could expect to receive a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. (word of advice: CHECK YOUR SPAM MAIL. You could potentially miss their emails as it seems it is common for them to go to spam, based on other reviews) Received call the following day and scheduled interview for Monday of the next week. Interviewer called promptly at scheduled time. Spent about 5 minutes going over benefits (which are actually pretty great, and this is coming from someone who previously worked in government), job description and expectations. Job is basically in a call center and you are required to take a certain amount of calls per day, then spend the other half of the day working through claims. After that, I was asked what I know about State Farm, why I chose to apply there and what interested me about the job. After that I was asked 3 or 4 behavioral questions (be sure to answer in STAR format) including: a time I had to adapt to a change at work and how I prepared for it, a time I had to communicate a difficult idea or process and how I checked for understanding, a time I had to deal with a demanding customer and a time I was given critical feedback. After I finished answering the final question, I was asked if I had any questions. I asked about daily activities, what it would take to be successful in the role and what the atmosphere was like. My questions were answered in a very professional but informative manner. I had no other questions, so was expecting to be told to expect a call for an in-person interview, but was surprised when I was offered the job right then and there without having to appear face-to-face. Part of me thought that was strange, but the other part was happy because, really, interviews are stressful, so if I can skip a step, even better! I was told the start date would be about a month out and I would need to submit to a background check and drug test prior to a formal offer being put forth. I received several emails outlining all of the things I would need to complete within a certain time frame (time is of the essence!), completed the items and then received my formal offer. I genuinely appreciate how informative the whole process is/was. It is very refreshing to be kept in the loop throughout each step and to always know where you stand during the process. I find this company, so far, to be very professional and run much more smoothly than other companies I have interviewed with recently. I am looking forward to being an employee.

Interview Questions
    • None, really, but giving an example of a time you received critical feedback is a tricky question because you don't really want it to seem like you are the type to make huge mistakes or are in need of constant coaching.   View Answers (5)
    There is no negotiation, at least in my case. I was told it was a take it or leave it salary (they are hiring a TON of people right now, so I'm sure it's basically like, "Oh..you don't like the pay? NEXT!" The starting pay is fairly decent, though.

Team Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm.

Standard One on one interview with agent. Extremely easy, probably will hire anyone, you just have to find the right agent for you. Mine was personally horrible and I will never be returning. I would not suggest this job to anyone

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

The interview was one hour and both people conducting the interview were friendly and easy to talk to. Mostly questions regarding past experiences and how I handled myself in certain situations. Questions were a bit complex and made you think but as long as you can organize ideas well then it isn't too bad.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were given a complex problem and how did you solve it   View Answer

AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Interviewed for sales. The agent determines who he or she wants to work with, not really a corporate interview. Talked salary and commission, schedule, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Dressed professionally and promoted myself.

Claims Associate -ILR Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

Details
    I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in March 2015.

2/20/15: applied online thru SF careers site.
    2/23/15: received email with pre-employment test instructions. took tests same day. 3 tests, typing, data entry/call center, & behavioral.
    3/2/115: received email to chose day and time for 45 minute phone interview.
    3/3/15: phone interview set for 11am they called @11:05. A man from Atlanta went over position details then began questioning. be prepared with SPECIFIC examples. He asked for me to specify a few times. it was difficult if you don't prepare.The questions are posted in the reviews other people gave. A the end I was told to hold on and 1 min later I was told I had the job!!!! I was told to look out for an email regrading background and drug testing. Salary is not negotiable.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and were able to help them turn it into a positive experience
      tell me about yourself, your career, and schooling
      tell me a time when your coworkers were not getting along and how you handled it

Answer Question

College Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

Applied online
    Took an assessment test
    initial phone interview

At first I received a phone call from an hr lady from chicago. She was really nice and pleasant. She was very helpful. My phone interview was with another hr lady from the location I was applying for. She seemed nice also.

Agency Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State Farm.

Very little interview process. Answered openly and mentioned the certification process which was acquiring the relative licensing and certifications required to perform the job duties. The faster you can complete this step the quicker you can begin employment.

The overall experience was quite simple since past performance or willingness to perform and show up ready will work well in your favor.

Interview Questions
    • What experience and certification yo you have.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at State Farm.

Be personable and professional! The interview was some what intense but nothing out of the ordinary. They ask a lot of questions so come prepared to answer open-ended questions and with relevant follow-up questions. The interview was about 20-30 minutes so come in with adequate time and a positive attitude. Something I did that was appreciated by the employer was printed out a formal resume and list of references on professional resume paper although the information was submitted prior to the interview via e-mail. I also brought a notebook with some of my follow-up questions written and took notes throughout the interview. I was notified and offered the position which I accepted about a week later. Depending on the position, the interview process may be longer (e.g., 2-3 follow-up interviews).

Fire Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in March 2015.

I applied for many positions with State Farm and took a while to get a response back from one that paid well which was the Fire Insurance Claims position. I took the assessment and passed. The next day I received an email to choose which times would be good for an hour long phone interview. I scheduled the next day. The phone interview started with asking if I had any questions about the job. Was thrown off since I was expecting to be asked at the end. I asked about the schedule and that was it (thinking I would have an opportunity to ask later...). She went over benefits and pay. Next she asked why I wanted to work for State Farm. I mentioned how great it would be working for a fortune 100 company, the great service I received from State Farm in the past and how it left a mark on me and joked about the Hans and Frans commercials too. Then came the situational questions. Discuss a time when a customer was demanding, lead a team and a tough situation I overcame. Use the STAR system and you should be fine. Here is where I was prepared to ask more questions but instead was offered a position. I accepted though was made aware that it's a 24 month contract with the opportunity to apply for new position after 18 months but could be let go. It's fine for me since it's at least good experience in this entry level role. What's great is that I didn't have to go in for an interview and worry about appearance, eye contact, handshake, parking, etc, etc...

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sachse, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sachse, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in March 2015.

15 minutes of questions about the company and my sales intern experience...wanted to know how my past employers saw me, what was my last job rank, how did i see a salesman, do i like helping people not just shoving a company down someones throat, etc