State Farm

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.7

Claims Representative Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Submitted application online. Received email next day to fill out pre-interview forms. Next day received email asking me to take required pre-employment tests. Next day received email that I had passed tests and could expect to receive a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. (word of advice: CHECK YOUR SPAM MAIL. You could potentially miss their emails as it seems it is common for them to go to spam, based on other reviews) Received call the following day and scheduled interview for Monday of the next week. Interviewer called promptly at scheduled time. Spent about 5 minutes going over benefits (which are actually pretty great, and this is coming from someone who previously worked in government), job description and expectations. Job is basically in a call center and you are required to take a certain amount of calls per day, then spend the other half of the day working through claims. After that, I was asked what I know about State Farm, why I chose to apply there and what interested me about the job. After that I was asked 3 or 4 behavioral questions (be sure to answer in STAR format) including: a time I had to adapt to a change at work and how I prepared for it, a time I had to communicate a difficult idea or process and how I checked for understanding, a time I had to deal with a demanding customer and a time I was given critical feedback. After I finished answering the final question, I was asked if I had any questions. I asked about daily activities, what it would take to be successful in the role and what the atmosphere was like. My questions were answered in a very professional but informative manner. I had no other questions, so was expecting to be told to expect a call for an in-person interview, but was surprised when I was offered the job right then and there without having to appear face-to-face. Part of me thought that was strange, but the other part was happy because, really, interviews are stressful, so if I can skip a step, even better! I was told the start date would be about a month out and I would need to submit to a background check and drug test prior to a formal offer being put forth. I received several emails outlining all of the things I would need to complete within a certain time frame (time is of the essence!), completed the items and then received my formal offer. I genuinely appreciate how informative the whole process is/was. It is very refreshing to be kept in the loop throughout each step and to always know where you stand during the process. I find this company, so far, to be very professional and run much more smoothly than other companies I have interviewed with recently. I am looking forward to being an employee.

Interview Questions
    • None, really, but giving an example of a time you received critical feedback is a tricky question because you don't really want it to seem like you are the type to make huge mistakes or are in need of constant coaching.   View Answers (5)
    There is no negotiation, at least in my case. I was told it was a take it or leave it salary (they are hiring a TON of people right now, so I'm sure it's basically like, "Oh..you don't like the pay? NEXT!" The starting pay is fairly decent, though.

Claims Associate - Express Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

2 months. Applied online. Received an email about 48 hours later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview went well, scenario questions. Offered position at end of call.

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview was broken down into 3 Sections: The first section was a brief overview of the company and what all I knew about the company. The second part had to deal with basic questions, putting yourself into basic scenarios and solving how you would act upon certain problems. The third part was just the recruiter listing off technical skills and you answering on a scale to 1-3 (1 being lowest, 3 Highest) where you stood. Other than that it was easy smeezy...goodluck

Interview Questions
    • Name a time your boss gave you a project with no direction...how did you handle this?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

SF is going through a major re-org, which has brought them to major cities such as Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix in place of Bloomington, IL. I applied online and the process spanned over 2+ months in which I was first screened by their HR on the phone and then selected for an in-person interview. The interview went well, but I could tell I was overqualified as I ended up conducting most of the interview myself as my knowledge and work experiences vastly out-shined and out-numbered anything either of my interviewers had accomplished their entire careers at SF. Regardless of this mis-match, I was assured they wanted to hire someone of my skill sets and experience as they simply could not find such talent in Bloomington. I was told I was definitely going to hear back from them...I never did. I contacted their HR to find out what happened and no explanation was given other then advice to keep applying to other positions. The issue with doing this is SF is so disorganized that their job postings are up one day and down the next...I screened for one job and interviewed for another, then the posting disappears and reappears under a different number. They will eventually send you a canned automated response that they selected other candidates, but this is clearly not the truth when the same job posting is still up and has multiple openings listed. I suspect SF is going through a lot of internal turmoil due to the re-org, thus hiring managers are either being passive on hiring or they are simply not ready to "graduate" their IT department to the Professional Adult level in these new cities. Either way, I wouldn't waste my time interviewing with SF. They are not serious about hiring at this time. They are just posting jobs to see what is out there which could almost be interpreted as posting fake jobs...not sure why any reputable company would do this, but is is best to just stay away from SF if you are a serious candidate, looking for a real job. This is bad form, bad business practice that borderlines a needed investigation by the Dept. of Labor.

Interview Questions
    • Boilerplate situational questions on how you would handle certain job tasks, difficulties, etc.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

The initial interview was done over the phone. They will go into details of what the job entails as well as giving you information on the extensive training. If you pass the interview, then you are given a link to begin the process, which starts with passing an assessment test.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever managed a team before? Have you run an office at any time? What are your sales experience?   Answer Question

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

I applied for the job in December. About 2 weeks later I got an email stating that I had been selected to move forward and had to take three separate tests including a typing test, personality assessment, and a competency test. I received a response about 2 weeks later and was asked what times I would be available for a telephone interview. Even though I had been specific about the days and times, I was not contacted until two weeks after the days I had set up.

I received a call exactly at the new designated time and participated in a telephone interview. The woman on the other end of the phone was extremely friendly and energetic which made me feel more comfortable and at ease. Upon the closing of the interview I was offered a position and was advised of a 9 week training period. I was also advised that my employment is contingent on a satisfactory background check as well as a drug screening.

My advice is to prepare for the interview in advance. This will eliminate a lot of babbling because of nerves. Also, research a little information about the company. This will definitely go a long way with the interviewer. It's always good to know some background about the company you are trying to work for. This will also help you to score some points during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty standard:
      Why did you choose State Farm?
      How did you handle a difficult situation at work?
      When was a time that you were criticized at work and why?
      How did you deal with a difficult customer?
      Have you ever had to resolve an issue between two employees?

Make sure to answer all interview questions using the STAR method.

Answer Question

Fire Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

Applied to position on 2/16/15, got call from recruiter a/b phone interview on 2/19/15. I'd already done the job assessments and questionnaires in September when they were considering me for the same position. Unfortunately that position got placed on hold the same day I was offered a phone interview for it. Did phone Interview on 2/23/15, lasted about 30-45 minutes. Recruiter was a very upbeat and personable man. He did a good job of explaining the job culture and benefits of working for state farm. Also made the potential salary increases based on job performance sound great. He started with tell me about yourself. He then asked about my education and degree, asked why I'm interested in state farm, why interested in claims? Discussed salary expectations and since it was less than what I requested on my application would it work for me. The salary was generous, and I'm fine with it because I have to take into account that I don't come from an insurance background. Plus he said that yearly raises are pretty much guaranteed as long as you're meeting or exceeding job expectations. That's something we didn't get at my last job. Also said that overtime was often available and you'd get paid time and a half for it. Next were the behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Time you had conflict with a coworker, how did you handle it, what was the outcome.
      2. Describe a time you weren't able to deliver on a timeframe you'd given a customer. Looking back, what do you think you could have done differently?
      3. Describe a time you were given critical feedback.
      4. A time you had to complete a large volume of work in a short amount of time. (Quantity vs Quality)
      5. A time you had to solve a problem. How did you do it? What was the outcome? Do you think you made the right decision? Why or why not?

View Answer

Office Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

I heard about this position from my friend so I know what the job is about. I went to the office for interview and the manager let me asked some questions first. Then he talked about his company, his plan, and what I might do in this position. Since it is s employee referral, so the interview is not tough. It was more like a friend talk. The team was very funny and the office environment is very friendly. I prepared some common interview questions, like my weakness, my detailed working experiences, etc. but it turned out they didn't ask me those questions.

Interview Questions
    • Since you already know about this position, do you have any questions for us?   Answer Question
    • You said you have skills of fund raising, can you tell me more about it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a little about your background.   Answer Question
    • What do you think you can contribute to our company?   Answer Question

Claims Associate -ILR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

The interview process consisted of a phone interview after I completed an application and skills test. I was asked about four questions then was given a contingent job offer. I went through a background check and drug test. Then was offered a final job offer. The process in all was about one month.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about statefarm   View Answer
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a customer that was irate? How did you diffuse the situation?   View Answer

Insurance Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

I emailed my resume to a recruiter at my former University and got an email back immediately. I went in on a Friday morning and the interview was very laid back. The manager was very nice and asked a lot of questions about my college degree (social science also I'm a recent graduate) and why I wanted a sales position. He asked questions about my previous sales jobs and told me a lot about the company. They stressed being able to connect with people and having an willingness to work. Monday I was offered the job and my background check was completed by thursday. I saw someone say that you must have good credit to work for them and that is false. Also if you have an accident or a few tickets you will still be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your specific major?
      Why do you think you are suited for this job?

Answer Question