State Farm Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2014
Updated Sep 29, 2014

2.7

0 Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at State Farm in May 2008.

very long, a lot of interviews, be ready and positive.

Interview Questions
    you don't negotiate, you have to get picked. you should give whatever they take. it's a great opportunity.

Underwriter Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at State Farm in March 2012.

After applying I received an email two weeks later about an assessment for the position that was to be sent within 3 business days of this email.(a Friday). 3 days go by, nothing. I look at the original email and see the HR assistants name but theres no email or phone number for contact and I cant respond to this one becase it is system generated so I have no way of following up with them. A week goes by still nothing so I just give up, then finallly 7 business days later I receive the assessment. I take the assessment and feel great about it and as instructed emailed some clerk to let them know it was completed. I get no response, a week later I email him again and he simply tells me he is not recruiter/HR and they will get back with me when they review my scores. A few more days pass with no emails or phone callls about my status so I start applying to other jobs again. Then maybe 3 weeks after all this started I receive a voicemail from a guy in HR stating how we had an interview scheduled for that day with me and i had missed it. What? How when NO ONE has contacted me? Anyway he sounded cool about it and told me to give him or his assistant(the same assistant who's name is in the first email) a call to reschedule. I did.

So here were are 3 weeks and 10 calls/messasge later and I still have not heard back form either of them.

Auto Claim Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Farm in March 2011.

Initial email received from recruiter to come in for personality/typing/skills test. Once passed, immediately sent over to HR for pre screening interview. Then you are contacted for a panel interview. This consisted of 5 people interviewing with "what if", "provide an example of" type of questions.

no negotiation

Insurance Interview

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in January 2009.

first you submit online. you recieve a call to set up an interview. you set it up and do the next interview over the phone. this is asking behavioral based questions as well as questions about why you are interested in SF etc. than if pou oass this you will go onto one on one which is behavioral based as well.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had a conflict with another co worker? what was the problem, what actions did you take and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    you can negotiate salary based on experience

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State Farm.

Applied Online.

First interview was a phone screen with HR.

Second interview was an on-site panel interview with two directors.

The questions were behavior and experience based. They focused on leadership behavior, rather than standard 'project manager' situational questions. The emphasis was on the direct actions and results that 'I' had implemented/achieved (rather than team activities).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where I had uncovered a problem, how I personally implemented a solution and what was the result.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation that demonstrated how I held people accountable for their failure(s).   Answer Question

Interview/Hiring Process Length - Significant time elapsed between the interviews themselves and then for the job to be offered. During this time, I was offered another (better) job.

Salary - The salary offer was in line with Glassdoor reported State Farm PM salaries. However, it was low in comparison to other major employers in the area. They did negotiate slightly, but it was not enough.

Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in September 2010.

First I applied online then I was called by the HR rep. Had a phone interview, general questions focusing more on me then the position, finding out what i'm like, my points of view on certain topics. After that I was brought in for a skills/personality exam, took about an hour. Right as I walked out, the HR assistant informed me that I was "competitive" for the position. Next I came in for an interview that lasted about 45 minutes. It was in front of 4 people, started off with the basics, what do you know about state farm, go over your resume and general questions. Then it moves into roll play, they set up a situation and you and them play a roll. For example, they may say that a new employee isn't as fast as the employee who retired and they are complaining about how slow they are, that they are always surfing the internet and then ask you, to demonstrate how you'd handle the situation. A few interviewers play coworkers and start complaining to you and one plays the new employee. Its a curve ball and no matter how well you think you did, someone probably did better because its hard to judge just how well you actually did in questions like that.

Interview Questions
    • If a book was written about you, what would it be titled?   Answer Question

State Farm Agency Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at State Farm in December 2012.

The hiring process is extremely lengthy, including tests, extensive research, interviews, continuous feedback, and a in-depth presentation and research project. Receiving all positive feedback encouraged me as I built up to the final presentation, which incorporated my background as an insurance broker-owner.

Interview Questions
    • The answers for all questions were to be given in the "STAR" method.   Answer Question

Research Statistician/Statistical Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dunwoody, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at State Farm.

The process was long, but very thorough...which, although can be annoying when you're eager to get things finished, is actually a nice statement about the company.

The first step was a simple phone screening interview, followed by a longer phone interview with 2 senior folks...in my case, two Sr. Statisticians.

After that second interview, I was later invited for an in person interview, which lasted pretty much all day (8:30 - 3:30). I met with several different people...a couple of Sr. Statisticians (the ones from the phone interview), and also various directors of analytics departments etc, but also a shorter interview with the staff manager. The interviews overall were a combination of in person and video/Skype style interview with folks that were stationed at the headquarters in ILL. I was taken to lunch during the day by a couple of workers there in the various departments I was interviewing for.

After the all day interview, it turned out that I was unable to meet with another Sr. Statistician, so they asked me to come in a second time for an hour with her.

After that, they told me it would be about a week or so before I heard some news, and that was the exact timeline....I did the last interview on a Tuesday morning, and found out the news of a contingent offer (pending background check and drug test) the following Tuesday evening. At that time, you are told the contingent salary offer, given an overview of the job and department etc.

Once I received the email from the company doing the background check and drug test, about a week later I was asked for more information...I had to verify one of my former employers etc. After I cleared up that problem, 2-3 days later I received a call with a final, confirmed/official offer of employment etc.

It was a long and thorough process, but after having been through it all, it was a good experience. The pay was higher than I expected, and I'm pretty positive that I'm going to love the new work that I'll be doing.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was in the form of a riddle/puzzle. I've heard of those types of questions being asked...and they are mostly to see how you work through problems. Ask questions, work through it etc...don't be afraid to get it wrong. If you get it wrong, just figure out what to do next and talk through the process.   Answer Question
    No need for negotiation. The offer was significantly higher than what I was expecting, and there was an excellent sign on bonus to go along with it. I was very impressed by the offer, and quickly accepted.

CCC Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at State Farm in August 2013.

Since State Farm is in the midst of a growth stage they are looking to fill about 800 position in the Atlanta area; this past week I attended a career fair dedicated to filling these positions. The career fair was a great idea, however it was poorly planned. The company scheduled a two day fair but was vastly overwhelmed by the turnout. It was reported that on the first day 1800 people showed up to be interviewed and on the second the numbers almost mirrored that of the first. Attendees were made to stand in line for hours prior to sitting in waiting rooms for hours- all for a seven minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked the most basic situation based behavioral questions such as "how would you handle 'X,Y,Z'". I was also asked experience based questions ("tell me about a time when...").   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Worth, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Worth, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at State Farm in May 2011.

It was a straightforward interview. The interview explained beforehand how it would be structured. First she asked about myself. Then she asked a few questions about my experience. She went on to explain the company and then ask about 6-7 interview questions.

The questions were somewhat difficult, and I was glad that it was a phone interview, because i was definitely stumped on a few of them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to contact someone did you didn't know and offer a product through a financial commitment.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a situation with diplomacy and tact.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you were pressured to do something that you felt wasn't right?   Answer Question
    • What are the 3 most important things you look for in an employe   Answer Question

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!