State Farm Interview Questions

2.7

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sachse, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sachse, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in March 2015.

15 minutes of questions about the company and my sales intern experience...wanted to know how my past employers saw me, what was my last job rank, how did i see a salesman, do i like helping people not just shoving a company down someones throat, etc

Claims Associate - Express Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

2 months. Applied online. Received an email about 48 hours later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview went well, scenario questions. Offered position at end of call.

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview was broken down into 3 Sections: The first section was a brief overview of the company and what all I knew about the company. The second part had to deal with basic questions, putting yourself into basic scenarios and solving how you would act upon certain problems. The third part was just the recruiter listing off technical skills and you answering on a scale to 1-3 (1 being lowest, 3 Highest) where you stood. Other than that it was easy smeezy...goodluck

Interview Questions
    • Name a time your boss gave you a project with no direction...how did you handle this?   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

SF is going through a major re-org, which has brought them to major cities such as Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix in place of Bloomington, IL. I applied online and the process spanned over 2+ months in which I was first screened by their HR on the phone and then selected for an in-person interview. The interview went well, but I could tell I was overqualified as I ended up conducting most of the interview myself as my knowledge and work experiences vastly out-shined and out-numbered anything either of my interviewers had accomplished their entire careers at SF. Regardless of this mis-match, I was assured they wanted to hire someone of my skill sets and experience as they simply could not find such talent in Bloomington. I was told I was definitely going to hear back from them...I never did. I contacted their HR to find out what happened and no explanation was given other then advice to keep applying to other positions. The issue with doing this is SF is so disorganized that their job postings are up one day and down the next...I screened for one job and interviewed for another, then the posting disappears and reappears under a different number. They will eventually send you a canned automated response that they selected other candidates, but this is clearly not the truth when the same job posting is still up and has multiple openings listed. I suspect SF is going through a lot of internal turmoil due to the re-org, thus hiring managers are either being passive on hiring or they are simply not ready to "graduate" their IT department to the Professional Adult level in these new cities. Either way, I wouldn't waste my time interviewing with SF. They are not serious about hiring at this time. They are just posting jobs to see what is out there which could almost be interpreted as posting fake jobs...not sure why any reputable company would do this, but is is best to just stay away from SF if you are a serious candidate, looking for a real job. This is bad form, bad business practice that borderlines a needed investigation by the Dept. of Labor.

Interview Questions
    • Boilerplate situational questions on how you would handle certain job tasks, difficulties, etc.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

The initial interview was done over the phone. They will go into details of what the job entails as well as giving you information on the extensive training. If you pass the interview, then you are given a link to begin the process, which starts with passing an assessment test.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever managed a team before? Have you run an office at any time? What are your sales experience?   Answer Question

Claims Associate - Express Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

I applied for the job in December. About 2 weeks later I got an email stating that I had been selected to move forward and had to take three separate tests including a typing test, personality assessment, and a competency test. I received a response about 2 weeks later and was asked what times I would be available for a telephone interview. Even though I had been specific about the days and times, I was not contacted until two weeks after the days I had set up.

I received a call exactly at the new designated time and participated in a telephone interview. The woman on the other end of the phone was extremely friendly and energetic which made me feel more comfortable and at ease. Upon the closing of the interview I was offered a position and was advised of a 9 week training period. I was also advised that my employment is contingent on a satisfactory background check as well as a drug screening.

My advice is to prepare for the interview in advance. This will eliminate a lot of babbling because of nerves. Also, research a little information about the company. This will definitely go a long way with the interviewer. It's always good to know some background about the company you are trying to work for. This will also help you to score some points during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were pretty standard:
      Why did you choose State Farm?
      How did you handle a difficult situation at work?
      When was a time that you were criticized at work and why?
      How did you deal with a difficult customer?
      Have you ever had to resolve an issue between two employees?

Make sure to answer all interview questions using the STAR method.

Answer Question

Fire Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

Applied to position on 2/16/15, got call from recruiter a/b phone interview on 2/19/15. I'd already done the job assessments and questionnaires in September when they were considering me for the same position. Unfortunately that position got placed on hold the same day I was offered a phone interview for it. Did phone Interview on 2/23/15, lasted about 30-45 minutes. Recruiter was a very upbeat and personable man. He did a good job of explaining the job culture and benefits of working for state farm. Also made the potential salary increases based on job performance sound great. He started with tell me about yourself. He then asked about my education and degree, asked why I'm interested in state farm, why interested in claims? Discussed salary expectations and since it was less than what I requested on my application would it work for me. The salary was generous, and I'm fine with it because I have to take into account that I don't come from an insurance background. Plus he said that yearly raises are pretty much guaranteed as long as you're meeting or exceeding job expectations. That's something we didn't get at my last job. Also said that overtime was often available and you'd get paid time and a half for it. Next were the behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Time you had conflict with a coworker, how did you handle it, what was the outcome.
      2. Describe a time you weren't able to deliver on a timeframe you'd given a customer. Looking back, what do you think you could have done differently?
      3. Describe a time you were given critical feedback.
      4. A time you had to complete a large volume of work in a short amount of time. (Quantity vs Quality)
      5. A time you had to solve a problem. How did you do it? What was the outcome? Do you think you made the right decision? Why or why not?

View Answers (2)

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

I applied through the website and heard back from them in about two weeks. Shortly after, I had a phone interview with a Systems Analyst and an HR person. The interview went great! The following Monday, a different HR person asked me to send an electronic version of my resume and my transcripts. Nowhere in the job posting or interview did it mention GPA. I had a low GPA for about 1 year out of the 6 years of my schooling, but for the most part, had a GPA of 3.0 and up. It still wasn't good enough, they sent me a rejection letter by the end of the week. If it were of that much importance, I wish they would have put an emphasis on it. They HR people were also kind of shady. I would ask a question, and they would blatantly ignore it.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions. They also asked me to rate my knowledge of different types of technology.   Answer Question

Office Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I applied this position online, then was asked to complete an online assessment test. I passed it and was asked for an phone interview after several days. The phone interview just last about 20 minutes. it's kinda easy interview. After that, I was for a panel interview at a Starbuck's after 2 weeks. This time, they asked a lot of interview question about motivation, my education, my relationship with people at school & at work, and my previous job. They allowed me to ask question about the position and opportunity. The interview is very nice and straightforward in questioning. 1 week later I was asked to complete another online assignment test, and I managed to pass it. They just gave me the job offer and start to work in a month. I got hired.

Interview Questions
    • what is your motivation at work? describe your last job? how the relation with your friends? define "customer service"?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in February 2015.

Applied for about 5 positions...got turned down for two thought it was done but then about 2 weeks later got an email for a phone interview. Did the interview and it went okay. At first he was telling me every reason I would not want to work there and it would be different than what I have done. But in the end he offered me the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I only got asked why state farm? And told how hard it would be to go from a small company teacher to a large corporation   Answer Question