State Farm

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Farm.

I submitted the application through my law school career services. I was excited because it was in Bloomington, where I went to school. I was contacted by phone and I set up an interview. When I got there, parking was extremely difficult to find and resulted in me being a tad late, even though I had arrived 30 minutes early. They interview you in two sessions, with two interviewers a piece. My first interview was very casual, but the second interview was a little tougher.

Interview Questions
    • They ask very specific legal questions that I wasn't necessarily prepared for, which may have been my fault.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative/Sales Interview

There are usually two interviews. The second interview was in person. They ask the normal interview questions. Although it seemed like the interview took 45 mins to an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Talking about a time in which you had to read a person.   Answer Question

They wanted employee to pay out of pocket for licensing.

Claims Associate - Express/ILR Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

The hiring process was fairly quicker than I thought. I applied, then within a week got a voicemail congratulating me on advancing to the next round which was the assessments. I received an email saying that in two days the assessments will be sent pending disclosure. Follow-up is very important with this company, because your timeliness can help move the process further along. I took the assessments and 6 business days later, I received a call to schedule a phone interview a few days later.The interview was very laid-back and smooth. I assume that that's to get the candidate's true self which is strategic. It was very straight forward, no filler talk. They asked about work experience, difficult customer issues, and project and time management situation based questions. It was the most fun interview I ever had, whether phone or in person. After I asked questions about the company and position,I received a contingent offer pending background and drug test. The whole process lasted 28 days from application to offer. Preparation is everything! Better to have all of your answers ready than be underprepared. Researching the company and trying to apply yourself to some of the values and mission statement(s) is always a way to impress people.

Interview Questions
    • A question that I wasn't prepared for was "Describe a situation in which a team member did not complete their fair share of the work and how did that work out?" I used the questions from this site to prepare me but may not have remembered to write that one down. They want you to be specific, and to the point. The STAR method will definitely help you here.   View Answer

Mortgage Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at State Farm.

Starter test through email, if passed an interview is scheduled. After interview, its about a month before you will hear something. There weren't any difficult questions. It was mostly relevant to scenarios and how it related to a possible job.

Interview Questions
    • If confronted with an irate customer, how would you respond?   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Claims Associate - Express Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

I applied online about 2 weeks later I received an email stating that State Farm was interested in me and I would be called at a later time to schedule a phone interview. I received a call from a sweet lady from El Paso, TX she stated that my phone interview would be the following Tuesday at 9am. That Friday rolled around and I received another call from the same lady informing me that my interview would have to be pushed back due to my interviewer being on leave due to sickness. We scheduled the interview for the following Thursday at 9am. I received a call from Heather the hiring manager on Thursday morning. The interview lasted about 35 minutes. She asked the standard interview questions. After we were completed she informed me that she thought I would be a perfect fit for the company. She told me that for the start time in which I wanted to begin, that the classroom was full so I would have to attend the session that was 3 months later!! Then she began to inform me of the pay, training ( how you have to do a licensing exam and have a minimum of three attempts to pass the test or you would be terminated) and hours that I would be working. Before we got off the phone she told me she would be sending me information about completing the background check and drug screen. Also she told me that she will push for me to start at the earlier date since it seemed as if I really wanted that time opposed to the one three months later, which I definitely appreciated. I did the background screen through a company called hireright and the drug screen for that matter. I did the background check and two days later they asked me for a check stub from my previous workplace which I was able to provide the next day and I went in for the drug test, a urine test, and the first test came back as inconclusive which Heather told me is normal. So two days later I did another drug test and passed that one and my background check came back good. So I received one last call from Heather informing me that I received the job and she would send an official offer through email.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions...(name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle that situation, what was the outcome)   View Answer
    No negotiation, they are upfront and let it be known that there are no negotiations

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter, had a pretty short interview process. Interview was 4 hours and managers were arguing in front of me. Did not give me the impression it was a good culture.

Underwriting Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

I applied for one of their openings through their website's career portal. Whole process took about 2 months. Interview was done by phone with an underwriting manager and was a pretty standard one, i.e. tell me about yourself, why are you a good fit for this position, how do your past experiences relate to the requirements of this job, etc.

Timeline of hiring process:
    10/25 - Applied on State Farm site
    10/31 - Received email to take online skills/personality test, took test same day
    11/3 - Received email notifying me of screening results
    11/10 - Received email from State Farm to schedule an interview on 12/2 on location in Richardson, TX, but I scheduled a phone interview since I was out-of-state
    12/2 - Did a phone interview with a manager from the underwriting department in Richardson
    12/15 - Received contingent job offer, had to do a drug test and background check in the days that followed

Interview Questions
    • I had prior experience in the insurance industry, so I didn't think the questions were too tough. Just be prepared to discuss what you've learned throughout your career, how it applies to the position, why they should pick you, and talk about relevant experiences as it fits with the job.   Answer Question

I accepted the job at first, but due to certain circumstances in my personal life, I had to rescind my acceptance, which was my biggest reason for declining. Other than that, potential cons about taking the job were:

- No relocation assistance and very short notice of job offer (I was willing to foot the cross-country bill myself, so the first part wasn't too much of a concern)
    - No negotiation regarding starting salary, which even for entry-level, was way below market standard.

Insurance and Financial Services Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in December 2014.

I am going to make this short and to the point.
    - Applied through Indeed.com
    - Received e-mail requesting phone interview
    - The phone interview was scheduled for 2:30PM and at 4:45 PM I decided to contact State Farm agent to inquire on the phone interview. She proceeded to tell me that she totally forgot about the interview and wanted me to go ahead and answer some questions. The phone interview went very well, I was very prepared. Casual conversation on background, experience, why did you apply for the position, what makes you a great fit for the position? She then said GREAT, I'll e-mail you in a few days so we can proceed to the next step in the hiring process.
    - I sent an e-mail the next day thanking her for her time and consideration.
    - A week later I sent another email asking on the status of the hiring process and the position and that it was my understanding that we were proceeding to the next step.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm in November 2014.

was referred by my sister who is currently works @SF. applied for 3 positions (customer service rep, claims ilr, & claims express).
    11/20/14: applied online thru SF careers site.
    11/21/14: received email with pre-employment test instructions. took tests same day. 3 tests, typing, data entry/call center, & behavioral.
    11/25/14: received email to chose day and time for 45 minute phone interview.
    12/01/14: phone interview set for 1pm they called @1:05. nice lady from IL went over position details then began questioning. be prepared with SPECIFIC examples. she asked for me to specify a few times. it was difficult but i got thru it by bullshitting. fingers crossed! she said they'd be deciding anywhere from a few days to 2weeks. call ended @1:35! i pray i get it! good luck everyone

Interview Questions
    • tell me about yourself, your career, and schooling   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had a difficult customer that you werent able to make happy and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • tell me a time when your coworkers were not getting along and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • tell me a time that you had a great customer service experience   Answer Question
    • have you ever been involuntarily terminated from a position   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and were able to help them turn it into a positive experience   Answer Question
    set @ 25,000/yr... about 12 an hour. no negotiating

Insurance and Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State Farm.

Very friendly and welcoming. I was promised training and they were actually happy that I had little experience so they can train me the way they want. I had a telephone interview, an essay I had to complete, then finally a face to fave interview.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated pay. They were accepting.