State Farm

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Easy Interview

Dunwoody, GA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at State Farm in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position February 4, 2014. The application is very easy if you have a resume. Is simply copy all the information from the resume into the application.

Interview Question – I was e-mailed a request for an interview early April for the end o the month. The hiring team allow you a great amount of time to prepare.

On the day of the interview of the interview you will be briefed for 15 mins by a HR Recruiter and Underwriter. They will simply give you a more in-depth look int the position. The will give you great tips to focus on in the interview. Finally, your interviewer will come and get you, and the other few interviewees individually. This is the time to shine. Make sure you practice COMPETENCY BASED interviews. That is the type of interview you will have.

Ensure that you refresh yourself on ways to answer, "Why are you considering leaving your current employer?" In a VERY concise manner, tell them about yourself. Remember to do something that will grab their attention and keep it relevant to the position. The questions are easy, just remember to focus on relating your work/experiences on those outlined in the job description. However, make sure you listen carefully and use the STAR method for each answer.

After which, you will debrief with the managers that interviewed you, and then a HR Rep will come and go over benefits, and other details of the offer package. You will then receive your offer letter via e-mail between 7-10 business day later.
  View Answers (15)

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The salary is $37,000.

Charlottesville, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at State Farm in April 2012.

Interview Details – Professional on the outside, sloppy, lazy, coasting toward retirement on the inside.
This a fire-and-forget resume and useful only to polish your interview skills.
I suggest looking for a real company.
Doubt my review? Check the time length between interview and results from other posters. From the results I see, other posters in other locations have a faster response rate, regardless the results.

Interview Question – Standard Stuff. Do you play well with others?   View Answer

Bakersfield, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in March 2012.

Interview Details – A couple pre-employment tests, phone interview, and physical interview with 3 hiring managers. Common behavioral interview questions during the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about what you did to prepare for today's interview. Not sure exactly what they were looking for: If I should indicated that researched common interview questions and prepared by talking out loud (might seem like too rigid of a person to them) or if I should answer in a more casual manner (then it might seem like I did not prepare enough).   Answer Question

Dunwoody, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at State Farm in May 2014.

Interview Details – 2/4- Applied for position.

2/12- Got an email asking to sign a applicant disclosure form. Same day I was emailed to take a battery assessment and typing test.

2/13- Was Emailed and told I had competitive results and would be contacted if I was chosen for an interview

4/10- After I almost gave up hope, I was contacted by email to do an interview at the end of the month

4/29- The interview was laid back and there were 5 other people there. First we were were taken into a room to speak to the Underwriters and see how the position works and after that the underwriter managers from different sites took us individually to conduct the interviews which was fairly easy, just remember typical STAR questions and you'll be fine. After that we spoke to a recruiter to let us know the contingent offer will take 7-10 business days.

5/7- Received contingent offer by email pending background and drug test.

Overall it was the easiest interview I've ever had. They didn't beat around the bush or find anyway to exclude you from the position. If you get to the interview part you basically have the job. You just have to show that you have some common sense and can talk with intelligence. The only thing is the salary is quite low at $37k and not competitive with other companies in the industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little more about yourself   View Answer
  • Give a time where you had to persuade a peer or a coworker to have something go your way. What was the situation and how was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to multitask between task in a pressure environment. What was the situation and how did you overcome it   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer. What was the situation and what was the outcome   Answer Question
  • Give me a time when you and your coworkers couldn't agree on a project. What was the situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but they weren't having it. I live in another state and they didn't offer a higher salary or relocation expenses. They are stuck at $37k and nothing can change their minds.

Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at State Farm in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, got a phone interview, then got a panel interview with three people. Be prepared with specific answers to "tell me about a time when..." questions. Even though I thought the interview went well, I wasn't accepted.

The interviewers were very nice and accommodating. It was a good experience overall.

Interview Question – What is the most technical thing you've had to explain to someone.   Answer Question

Tempe, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at State Farm in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online in July, 2 days later received skills assessment tests to take on the computer. After receiving competitive scores on the skills assessments I was emailed 2 days later for a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of a few behavioral questions and an explanation of the job and it's salary. Before ending the phone interview, they scheduled me for an in person panel interview for the following week. Very comfortable interview with 3 managers, more behavioral questions. Exactly 3 weeks after the panel interview I got a call with a contingent job offer. Drug & Background Screen takes less than 2 weeks to complete and get results and then start date about 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you provided excellent customer service.
Explain a situation when you had to deal with an upset customer, how did you deal with the situation?
  View Answer

Dunwoody, GA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on 4/1. I got a call either the next day or the day after that requesting that I sign an applicant disclosure agreement. The day after that I got a automated phone call and an email inviting me to take a preemployment test. Like any employment test, I would not worry about passing. The day after completing the assessments, I got an email saying my scores were competitive.

On 4/24 I got an email congratulating me that I was selected for an interview that included a preset date and time. Luckily, I was already available for that day. The email also listed the job duties and the salary. Below average, about 5,000 below a competing national insurance company for the SAME exact position.

5/14 I interviewed in the BUSY operations center in Dunwoody. It's a nice building, brand new, with tons of employees and tons of interviewees. I grew a lot more confident in myself when I saw how the other interviewees were dressed. Wear a suit, please, I realized then that many people don't know to do that. You'll probably stand out, in a good way, like I did.

Anyways the interview was with the Underwriting Team. The team consisted of two underwriting managers, one from TN, one from TX, who had flown in just to interview for the position. I felt relatively comfortable (as comfortable as you can get in a behavioral interview).

I felt confident leaving the interview. One of the managers told me this was the first day of interviews (it was a Tuesday) and they'd be interviewing through Friday (for 18 positions I believe). He said they hoped to have decisions made by the following week, but to give them until the week after that to make a decision. I grew anxious, as an earlier email told me it would take 2-5 days after the interview for a job offer or deniel. On 5/28, as promised by an email, I was received a contingent job offer.

The pay is under average, but I accepted because of the location and because State Farm seems like a great place to work. I am a recent college graduate, with 2 years part-time customer service experience, moving from another state. I'm thankful that they considered me. Overall, the recruiting process is pretty superb. They lay everything out initially and leave little to wonder about, compared to other employers.

Interview Question – Explain/Describe a team where your work environment/style changed suddendly and you were forced to adjust.

Why accounting? (My college major)

I was slightly thrown off by their questions, as I had copied every behavioral question that previous interviewees on this site listed from their State Farm interviews, and my interviewers chose different questions. I still recommend to do as I did for the interview, and prepare answers for the questions listed here on this side. I gathered enough experiences with my preparation to morph them into answers for the questions during my interview.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate the offer as it seemed to be non-negotiable, though I wish they had offered at least 3,000 more to keep up with industry competitors.

North Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1 Prompt and well prepared.
2 Used the STAR - (Situation-Task-Action-Results) Interview method
3 Prior insurance experience not a requirement
4 Looking to hire the right people
5 Great follow through once contingent offer made
6 Regular communication regarding next steps in the hiring process

Interview Question – Not applicable. This was by far one of the best interview experiences.   Answer Question

Dunwoody, GA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at State Farm in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Applied online at Statefarm.com 7/25/2013
2. Contacted with Applicant Disclosure Form(before taking test) 7/26/2013
3. Contacted with pre-employment test 7/29/2013 (Took test 7/30/13)
4. Contacted with results of pre-employment test (passed!) 7/31/2013
5. Contacted for phone interview 8/23/13
 6. Congrats email with interview time and day (which was discussed when contacted for phone interview) Job duties and salary included 8/23/13
7. Phone interview 8/27/13
8. Received and accepted job offer 8/27/13
*Process: Took almost 8 weeks (27 days)
*No prior underwriting experience needed.
*Past customer service and/or management experience a plus.

The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to be hired at State Farm is the following:

For the State Farm Screening Battery and SkilTrak and Computer Skills Assessment:
THE TEST: The Screening Battery tests you on your personality, how well you work with a team, if you are a leader, what you would do in certain situations etc. The SkilTrak will test you on mock "policies and procedures". Just to make sure you know how to follow directions if selected as an Underwriter. The third test was the computer skills assessment.The first part of that test was kind of cool. Mock callers would call in and you would listen and have to accurately and quickly fill out the mock order form. The second part was a typing test.

What to Do for the Test:
1.Take a typing test to prepare you for your speed and accuracy. This is what I did and glad I did. I wasn't quite sure on how hard or easy it would be. But it was nearly impossible to complete the entire test and I'm a pretty fast typer. Take the test in a quite environment definitely.
2. It is also true what someone else said: "When reading the questions [on the Battery test] to your self add 'at work'. It works every time. So when it asks you if it is true that you have never lied in your life, you can answer that it is true- at work! They want the perfect candidate. Period.
3. And stay consistent. The best advice I can give on it is to answer each question as a true or not true, not using the sometimes true etc. Riding the fence on every question is not favorable.

How to Prepare for the Interview:
1. Study the interview questions here on Glass Door for your specific position. (If it they are from the exact location your applying for that will be even better).
2. As someone else mentioned here, "Give specific situations, the actions you took, and the results" to the interview questions. PREPARE.
2. Review State Farms website and get to know their info like founder, date founded, CEO etc (*This is taking the extra step and this will show your genuine interest in the company).
3. RELAX and be yourself!(Cliche' I know lol).

State Farm's Updates to my Online Application:
 (*FYI) I was always checking 2 sometimes 3 times a day(maybe like 10 lol) because I was so excited(EEK!). If your like me, here is what my online app looked like throughout the process:

-"Your application has been submitted for this job opening."
-“Your application is still under consideration for this opening.”
-"Your application is being reviewed by Human Resources for this opening."
-"Your application is being reviewed by the hiring manager for the opening."
Every time my online profile was updated I felt like a kid at Christmas!

Overall, I really, REALLY value the entire interview process. Very professional and organized. Probably the best interview process I have been through. Everyone was nice and very cordial. I applied to a few positions at the same time, but didn't get interviewed for them. If you have applied to State Farm and are kind of bummed out, all I can say is keep trying, prepare, make yourself stand out, and hopefully my experience will help those that are looking to be apart of the State Farm team like me.Thank God for Glass Door! It helped me tremendously. Good Luck!

Interview Question – 1. Tell me a little more about yourself.
2. Give a specific example of how you have demonstrated your ability to handle multiple priorities and deliver results. Describe the situation and the manner in which you addressed it.
3. Do you know about the position you are applying for?
4. Tell me about what you did to prepare for today's interview.
5. Tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service.
*Two more customer service type questions I can't quite remember.
  View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – The salary was a fair salary according to Glass Door. It actually was slighty more than I expected but overall Glass Door seems to be pretty accurate.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at State Farm in April 2010.

Interview Details – easy and detailed

Interview Question – The hypothetical scenario questions (what would you do vs. "give me a time when")   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – n/a

Interviews for Top Jobs at State Farm

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm Underwriter interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by State Farm employees and interview candidates.