State Street Portfolio Accountant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.7

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Portfolio Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at State Street in July 2014.

It was pretty easy if you have leadership skills. Interviewed by two people. They were not intimating, very open and friendly. Interviewed took an hour. I was not interviewed by anyone on my team

Other Interview Reviews for State Street

Portfolio Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State Street.

Pretty quick. It was only a week between the initial call and job offer.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation really. They told me what the pay was and I went with it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State Street in March 2011.

I applied online and received an email three days later to schedule an interview for the following week. When I arrived, there were a dozen candidates interviewing for the same position. I met with two managers who were both very pleasant. They asked behavioral and situational questions. The entire process took less than an hour. Three weeks later I was contacted about a possible position that may be available down the road. Overall, pleasant but very long process to this point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in February 2011.

At least two hiring manager would interview you.
    HR will call you back if they decided to give you an offer.

Interview Questions
    • On some days, would you be able to come in at work at 6:00 AM to get the work done.   View Answer
    Could not negotiate salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State Street in November 2010.

The hiring process was fairly easy. I sent in my resume for a few different positions and within a few days I received a call from HR. I actually tried to defer my interviews until Jan '11, but I received an email and a call about having an interview set up with Institutional Investment Services for the following week. When I arrived at my interview, I met with 2 different people; one a lower level manager and then an AVP. They asked me fairly easy questions, nothing difficult at all other than weird behavioral questions and how my previous experience matches what they need. Both people were very pleasant to meet with. Within the next few weeks, I received a call with a job offer. I feel this place is a great start and if you don't get promoted within a 1 1/2 years, it's probably time to move on. Definitely a great place to get a big name on your resume and move on if you want to.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are the right candidate for this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about macros in Excel, and Excel in general?   Answer Question
    There was literally no negotiation...believe me, I tried. They are firm with their very stiff in the pockets offer, especially since it is because an entry level job...on top of that, the week I accepted the job they decided they want to lay off 1400 people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State Street in June 2010.

Fast and easy, they were expanding quickly

Negotiations are at a minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Street in March 2010.

I applied online for the position, they called me in about 5 days and had an unexpected phone interview. That consisted of general interview questions including some technical/Excel related questions. After about a week, they set up an in person interview which was with two managers. It consisted of mostly behavioral questions and took about 45 minutes. That was about a month ago and I am still waiting to hear back from them on their decision.

Interview Questions
    • When did you solve a problem before it became a bigger problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at State Street in June 2009.

Interviewed with 2 or 3 managers, typical "why do you want to work here" or "tell me about yourself" questions

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose the school you went too?   View Answer
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in January 2009.

In August 2005, recent college grad, English major and had a referral from State Street HR rep. First interviewed at Quincy location and did not receive a job offer. Next, interview process lasted one day. Interviewed with HR rep, manager and officer in the unit I was applying to. Called by HR rep a week later and was offered 32K salary with benefits.

Interview Questions
    There was zero negotiating and no discussion of salary during the interview process. Salary was offered by HR rep's phone call indicating the position was being offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at State Street in January 2008.

For the PA position, the interview is run-of-the-mill behavioral type interview.

This is a interview guide directly from State Street:

1. Provides Outstanding Service/Focus on Clients
    Tell me about a time when a customer had a significant problem or need. How did you handle it?
    Tell me about a time when you had to go the extra mile to service a customer.
    2. Demonstrates and Facilitates Teamwork
    Describe a situation when you had to work with others to accomplish a goal. What role did you play in the process?
    3. Business/Financial Services Industry Knowledge
    Why are you pursuing a career in financial services?
    How do you stay informed about current events in financial services?
    4. Follows Instructions/Procedure-Results Oriented
    Tell me about a time when you were taking on new responsibilities on a job. How did you learn the new process? What steps did you take to ensure the work was completed without errors?
    Tell me about a time that you didn’t have the information needed to complete an important task? What did you do?
    5. Takes Ownership and Initiative
    Describe a time when you had to handle a work situation involving significant problems or changes.
    Can you think of a situation in school or at work when you were struggling to understand a new concept or process? What steps did you take to improve your performance?
    Tell me about a time when you requested additional responsibilities in an assignment or job.
    6. Understanding of the Job
    Tell me about your understanding of the position. What do you think the responsibilities of a P.A./F.A. are?
    7. Technology-Oriented/Proficient in Software Applications
    What PC applications are you proficient in? Have you specifically used spreadsheet applications? The Internet?
    Describe a time when you used a P.C. or software for research or analysis?

Interview Questions
    • Discuss your time management techniques. How do you organize yourself to ensure that all deadlines are met?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when an error occurred due to a breakdown in communication.   Answer Question
    The offer is fairly standard. Since they have so many applicants, you really have no wiggle room. It was presented as "take it or leave it." Although, they were nice enough to give me a couple weeks to consider the offer.