State of Alaska

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.8

Staff Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at State of Alaska.

It was a one on one with the audit manager. Straight forward questions. More or less want to make sure there will not be huge personality conflicts in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Discussed what type of work environments I'm accustomed to..   View Answer
    No negotiations. State jobs don't allow for negotiations.

MAA I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State of Alaska in May 2013.

Online application process, interview call and interview setup are standard but can take from a couple weeks to a couple months to hear back. There is really nothing more to say other than make your online application and resume and cover letter match the job description as closely as possible even going bullet point by bullet point. Have extra copies of a current resume with you for the interview. The group interview can be 2-5 people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions if you read the job description carefully the questions center around the description. Talk to the front desk person to see if there are any public resources for learning common internal acronyms if you are looking to just get started with the state.   Answer Question

Foreman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State of Alaska in June 2011.

The hiring process for this position is: posting is internal only--employees sign up for it. Employees signed up are ranked for seniority, and the top 3 get to interview. The interview process involves being interviewed by a 3 person panel, as well as several aptitude tests.

Analyst Programmer V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Juneau, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Juneau, AK

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Alaska in February 2011.

I was contacted on off-hours by a former co-worker. She was filling a position and was wondering if I was interested for an interview. We worked well together in the past, so I accepted the interview. The room was cozy. My co worker and the director was there, as well as an Anchorage office worker via teleconference. They tested my database. and language knowledge as well as business practices.

Tips for others?

1. Dress sharp. If you go to church, that is the way to dress. Clean cut and tidy.

Employment Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State of Alaska in May 2010.

Specific web site: Workplace Alaska, register, review the job description in detail, attend a workshop for that specific application process or call an Alaska Job Center and ask for an ESSIB to help. Submit application before close out date and time (Juneau Alaska time).

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about our agency and its mission and goals?   View Answer
    The plan was that I could conduct facilitation classes. As a government agency there was no financial negotiations.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Alaska in May 2009.

Initially all it took was for me to go to the government website and apply. They called me within a week to set up an interview. There were two interviews to be exact. The people who interviewed me were very professional yet inviting. They offered me the position within a matter of a couple days, and the pay was tolerable. The office people were very diverse, friendly, and more than willing to help me when I needed it.

Interview Questions
    • "When your Administrative Manager gives you a task, and the Director gives you a task, which do you do first?" I said the Directors, and apparently I was wrong.   View Answer
    It was fine.

Law Clerk II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenai, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenai, AK

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Alaska in February 2009.

I submitted a packet which contained resume, cover letter, transcripts, and writing sample. Completed the background check before interview was scheduled. Spoke with the law clerk to coordinate the interview. I spoke with the judge briefly. He didn't ask too many questions about my background. We spoke about common interests and that was about it. It was a very easy interview. The law clerk contacted me to schedule a follow-up phone call and then the judge offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • He asked about theaters in Chicago because he once went to Chicago on a business trip?   View Answer
    There wasn't too much negotiation. The salary is set in advance. Although, the salary can be higher for those who have legal experience. The policy regarding reimbursements for travel expenses is set in advance. It is a good place to work. Whether you are thinking about settling in Alaska or not. There is potential to make it to the attorney general's office.

Economist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of Alaska.

I was very impressed with the contact person and the two other people who were involved with the phone interview. Everyone seemed nice, genuine, and even though I did not get the position I received a call explaining why and encouraging me to apply again.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were similar to the KSAs that were listed for the cover letter requirements. One question about what I knew about the housing industry of Alaska caught me off guard and I should have done more research on that topic since the position was based in a housing research unit.   Answer Question

Public Assistance Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Alaska in September 2008.

Questions were asked by each person on the interview panel, three interviewer. The questions we clear and concise. There are approximately 10 - 12 questions. Questions were scored and highest score received the offer. The panel was culturally diverse, the office environment was very hospitable, clean environment. Wanted specific answers and examples of the questions. Not a high turnover due to leaving the state, turnovers primarily due to current employees moving up or to different departments.

Interview Questions
    • Experience where you had a negative customer service experience, how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a person in a supervisory position, how did you handle it, what was the outcome.   Answer Question