State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning
www.oshpd.ca.gov Sacramento, CA 150 to 499 Employees

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Federal Interview

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Federal

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in April 2009.

Interview Details – An application and a subjective written statement were required.

Interview Question – Who do you use to train truck drivers.   View Answer

Staff Counsel III Interview

Staff Counsel III

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in October 2009.

Interview Details – This was for an internal promotion. In order to interview for the promotion, I had to fill out a questionnaire which was scored and then placed on a list. Once I was on the list, when there was a promotional vacancy I applied and then interviewed for the position.

Negotiation Details – There is no salary negotiation. The salary is set by the State of California and the Personnel Board.

Accountant Trainee Interview

Accountant Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning.

Interview Details – Have had two Accountant Trainee interviews with the State of California's Controller's Office. I was isolated in a room with a computer & printer, and given twenty minutes to generate a response to a question, which I was to verbally present (in 3 minutes) at the onset of the oral portion of the Panel Interview. Clever, I thought. A test of multiple skills - organizational, oral and written communication, computer literacy skills, etc. Did I get the job? Don't know for sure - I was never even the courtesy of a reject letter!

Interview Question – None, oral interview read like a book.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Staff Services Analyst
Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2012.

Interview Details – When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Question – No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.

Parole Agent III Interview

Parole Agent III
Sacramento, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2009.

Interview Details – Bachelor degree minimum required. Be aware of all applicable Laws governing Parole and Treatment of convicted felons while under supervision. Written exam 3 hours. Oral interview, Peace Officer background

Interview Question – If you discover an Agent is lying about his work detail and you are required to fire this person. Even if this person has been in life threatening situations with you before...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none. Job offer I accepted

Auditor Evaluator I Interview

Auditor Evaluator I
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in May 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted the state application together with resume through email. Approximately three weeks after the final filing deadline, I received a call from the Department and scheduled an in-person interview. Since a lot of applicants were coming from different states, the department offered the same interview either by phone or in-person. As I was told by the department, the interview consisted of 5 questions including behavioral and situation questions.

This was a panel interview with 2 interviewers. First, I was assigned to sit in a small room, and they provided a sheet of paper which contained the five questions that they were going to ask during the interview. After about 10 minutes, I was directed into another room for the interview. One of the interviewer read the questions one by one, and they gave you enough time to answer each one of them. You could go back to a particular question to add more details to your answers later. The interviewers wrote down your answers in their worksheets.

Behavioral questions included:
Tell me about a team experience that wasn't functioning well
Tell me about a team experience on a subject that you never worked on

The other two situation questions were case study regarding performance audit for government agencies. You need to provide details about how you will audit them in the situation provided.

After the interview, they allowed sometime for you to ask questions. The interviewers were nice and talked about the weather and driving condition before we began. You just need to be prepared and tell your stories. They will not interact with you while you are providing your answers. It was very competitive. I heard from the interviewer that they received over 15,000 applications.

Interview Question – In this situation, what are the objectives of your audit for this government agency to ensure that they are in compliance with the applicable regulation?   Answer Question

Telecommunications Technician Interview

Telecommunications Technician
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2012.

Interview Details – FCC first class license required... experiance at a component level and commercial communications experiance required.

Negotiation Details – none

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Associate Governmental Program Analyst
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in August 2012.

Interview Details – It was a great interview process with straight forward questions. Management was very relaxed and opened, which gave me the opportunity to focus on my experience and my qualifications rather than being too nervous. I had approximately nine questions and a writing assessment. The writing assessment had about ten different choices. Interview length was about 45 minutes. The interview had a panel of three. Two line managers and another upper manager.

Interview Question – Please tell me about a project you had to complete in the past that you could have done better? What went wrong and what would you have done different if given a second chance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – State of California has set salaries for every position. There is no room for negotiation. You either start at beginning level or level 2, 3 or 4 depending on how many years of related experience you have.

Claim Examiner Interview

Claim Examiner
San Diego, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2009.

Interview Details – they were looking for bilinguals when i was hired

Interview Question – they have the typical questions - you are interviewed by the managers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you start at the lowest pay always and slowly increased until you cap

Benefits Assessment Clerk Interview

Benefits Assessment Clerk
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2009.

Interview Details – I first took an exam with 90 other people in downtown Oakland(this was for the Alameda county). After passing the exam in about four weeks they called me in for a group interview with 5 people who would be involved in hiring me. This made it feel unessarily weird.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy or unexpected   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning

Worked for State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning employees and interview candidates.