State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning

Updated Feb 5, 2015

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in February 2015.

I applied for a position one week and got a call to interview the next week. There were two people on the interview panel. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. There was no test beforehand. There were 6 questions, 2 of which were not at all relevant to the position that I could tell. Be prepared for "what if" questions and read all of the website material beforehand if you really want this job.

I have not received a call afterward as the interview just happened. I am not sure what the process is after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you found out that the department's budget was losing money, had no more funding, what would you recommend?   View Answer

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2012.

When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question
    There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.

Parole Agent III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2009.

Bachelor degree minimum required. Be aware of all applicable Laws governing Parole and Treatment of convicted felons while under supervision. Written exam 3 hours. Oral interview, Peace Officer background

Interview Questions
    • If you discover an Agent is lying about his work detail and you are required to fire this person. Even if this person has been in life threatening situations with you before...   View Answer
    none. Job offer I accepted

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Federal Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in April 2009.

An application and a subjective written statement were required.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you use to train truck drivers.   View Answer

Staff Counsel III Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in October 2009.

This was for an internal promotion. In order to interview for the promotion, I had to fill out a questionnaire which was scored and then placed on a list. Once I was on the list, when there was a promotional vacancy I applied and then interviewed for the position.

There is no salary negotiation. The salary is set by the State of California and the Personnel Board.

Accountant Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning.

Have had two Accountant Trainee interviews with the State of California's Controller's Office. I was isolated in a room with a computer & printer, and given twenty minutes to generate a response to a question, which I was to verbally present (in 3 minutes) at the onset of the oral portion of the Panel Interview. Clever, I thought. A test of multiple skills - organizational, oral and written communication, computer literacy skills, etc. Did I get the job? Don't know for sure - I was never even the courtesy of a reject letter!

Benefits Assessment Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in June 2009.

I first took an exam with 90 other people in downtown Oakland(this was for the Alameda county). After passing the exam in about four weeks they called me in for a group interview with 5 people who would be involved in hiring me. This made it feel unessarily weird.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in January 2010.

The interview for Associate Governmental Program Analyst is a typical panel interview where you meet with the manager who would be your boss, one of the staff people you will work with and sometimes the HR person who works in the department which is hiring you. Most of the questions will be about your previous analytical experience. The most important thing to remember when interviewing for these positions is to do your homework ahead of time and know a little bit about the program in which you interview for. If you are scheduled for an interview, ask the person who schedules you if they can send you a duty statement. A duty statement is a detail job description of the position. Usually you can figure out what they are looking for by reading the duty statement and researching the department website.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience in interpreting and implementing the California Code of Regulations?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would manage workflows within your unit.   Answer Question
    At this level, salary is typically not negotiable. A starting Associate Governmental Program Analyst will always be started at $4400 unless you are transferring from a similar classification and you are already earning more.

Lucensing Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning.

Important to read the job specs and know a little about the agency to which you are applying. It is helpful to have experience with the agency, know of current events involving the agency, agency dirctor etc. Most interviews are a series of questions asked by the panel, don't worry about eye contact from them as they tend to have their heads down writing. This is a good thing. Try and repeat their question back in your answer. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like and not like about your current position?   View Answer
    No negotiation in government job.

Employment Program Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in September 2009.

I applied in April 09 & jobs opened up 12/09 I was persistant & kept calling the manager. I had a great interview & an offer followed by end of week.

There is no negotiation. Salaries are set.

Work at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning? Share Your Experiences

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning