State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning
www.oshpd.ca.gov Sacramento, CA 150 to 499 Employees

State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Staff Services Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Staff Services Analyst
Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in March 2012.

Interview Details – When the state has an opening, they need to fill it FAST. I got a call Friday afternoon asking for an interview Monday morning. I went in and they were way behind schedule, about an hour late. They sat me at a desk and gave me a sheet of the interview questions - about 20 of them, and very in depth. Glad I had that hour to really prepare my answers. It was specific to the job - asking about previous coordinating experience, how do you deal with bad coworkers, etc. Not too bad, just have a ton of concrete examples to talk about. They don't want abstract "I'm a hard worker" but rather "Last week when 3 of my coworkers called in sick I jumped on and helped our unit stay on track." I went into the interview, which was 2 people (a 3rd was supposed to be there, but the doctor was too busy). They asked me all the questions, and it lasted about half an hour. Then they lead me to a desk with a computer and gave me a sheet of paper. They told me to follow the directions on the paper, and I had half an hour. This is called an "inbox exercise" and it's fairly common with CCHCS. They just want to prove you can actually do the work. Unfortunately, they don't know how to ask it very well, so I was unsure, but apparently I aced it. After I accepted the job they wouldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. The paper just asked me to put together a report on the number of people getting a liver transplant. So it listed 50 people had requested, 20 were awaiting doctor's approval, 40 had been rejected, and 2 had completed. So on the computer I used excel to make some charts displaying the data different ways, and then put it into a written report using word. I just explained the number of people and what that meant, and I ended with that because only 2 people had succeeded it was clear we needed to streamline the process to get more people finished with the process quicker. They called soon after, and I had to go in to get all my hiring paperwork done - several times sadly. They kept thinking of new things they needed from me. I ended up hiring myself mostly since I had worked as a hiring coordinator for the same department before.

Interview Question – No hard questions - just really focus on concrete examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is NO negotiation. Your pay is posted online, on the job posting. The managers usually don't really know what you would make - just look at the classification online and you'll know. If you're concerned about where in the range you'll be you have to actually talk to HR, which is after you've accepted. You take it or leave it. It's almost unheard of for someone to decline.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Staff Services Analyst Interview

Staff Services Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning in April 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted standard state application on the final filing date. I was contacted within a week of submitting the application to set up and interview for the following week. There were two people on the interview panel. My observations of the employees was mostly positive, people were friendly and open.

I was given 15 minutes to provide references and review the interview questions. Take advantage of this short time to look over all the questions and make notes on the points you want to make. Really helps you remember things you want to discuss because when you are nervous, you tend to forget or overlook strong points. Questions were basic -- experience with a difficult project, (how you handled it and what was result), describe a situation where you work with difficult people, etc.

Interview took about half an hour, with the interviewers jotting down notes while I answered. Always research the job, the department and have some questions to ask at the end to better understand the job but also to show you are interested and have given consideration.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe in detail a project I was responsible for and had to lay out the start to finish. Have a really good example in mind and stay positive!   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning

Worked for State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning Staff Services Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning employees and interview candidates.