State of Illinois

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

Information Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Illinois.

The process takes about 8 weeks, because for IT positions, the state requires approval grades, questionnaires, and personal interviews. The correspondence is all done by mail. 6 weeks to answer their questions and information retrieval. 2 weeks after interview for hiring decision based on interview and background check. No drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Casual formalities and greetings. The structural interview was rigid and purely objective, but this is standard procedure because of some lawsuit back in the day. The questions were pretty easy. Describe what happens with this piece of code. Define projects you've completed in the past. Define different software developing architectural patterns...   View Answer
    My first salary job, so there was no negotiation. I was happy with what they determined to pay me.

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of Illinois.

The interview and hiring process are the most awkward I've ever been through. I met with a panel and was questioned by 2 people. One briefly reviewed the program, I was allowed to ask questions and then they moved to what they called the structured part of the interview. I was not allowed to ask for clarifications but I could ask for them to repeat a question. I as not allowed to ask questions afterwards. I basically felt interrogated.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were basically behavioral questions--Describe if you have ever missed a deadline and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Environmental Protection Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at State of Illinois.

Shortly after I graduated from college in 1991 I had an interview at the EPA. Since I was an Environmental Biology major graduate from Eastern Illinois University I thought I would have a decent chance. I had my "A" grade and was subsequently called in for an interview. It was at the old location off of Jefferson not where it currently is located at the old Sangamo Building across from Lanphier High School.

Interview Questions
    • I went in to a large office with approximately 15 people in the room. They proceeded to fire three part questions at me one after another. It was very intimidating and unprofessional as far as I was concerned. I have had many interviews since and none as bad as this one was!   Answer Question

Assistant Inspector General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State of Illinois in December 2013.

I received a phone call months after initially applying, asking if I was still interested. The person asked me background questions over the phone, informed me of the salary range and asked if I was still interested. At the interview, I met with two women, who had a list of set questions to ask. I was told that I would hear back in no more than two weeks, but never heard anything back.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had read any of their opinions posted on their website. I said that I had, because I had scanned a few of them. I was then asked to describe in detail which opinions I read, what I thought of them, what I thought of the outcome, and for detail that I didn't remember and didn't know because I hadn't really read them that thoroughly.   Answer Question

Debt Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

After one week of submitting a resume, I was called for an interview with the Director and Managers. The interview was very informative. I was offered a position within 2 weeks and accepted.

Issues Staffer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at State of Illinois in February 2009.

First there was a group interview with 5 Regional Issue Staffers which lasted about an hour and a half. The interview was followed by a writing test. After 3 weeks they called back and asked for a second interview with the Leader of the Issues Development Staff. Interview with him lasted approximately 30 minutes and was again followed by a writing test. After 4 weeks they called again asking for me to interview with the State Representative in who's office they wanted to place me. That interview lasted about two hours. After that interview they informed me I got the job. I started about 10 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think the race between the two candidates was so difficult?   View Answers (2)
    • What do you think the new state representative needs to do to reach out to her community?   View Answer
    There were no negotiations.

Manager Interview

The state has to follow a prescribed process for all interviews for merit positions. They are drafted by the hiring manager with oversight from HR. The hiring manager usually has considerable discretion in creating the question and will ask detailed questions about the candidate's experience and skills (including both hard and soft skills).

Interview Questions
    There was flexibility here but that was a few years ago.

Tax Specialist Interview

very typical office setting questions. office procedures, etc

Rehabilitation Counselor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Illinois in January 2010.

Interview process went very well, I had contacted the supervisor of the office to inquire about jobs, great in helping me with completing appliation forms and where to send them in. Interview itself was very laid back, interview was friendly and kind. Felt relaxed during the interview. Not difficult question to answer.

Executive II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at State of Illinois in July 2009.

It is a union shop so there wasn't much of an interview. I had submitted my application. I was the #1 person who had the time and grade for the position. They called and offered it and I started 2 weeks later.
    While I know that the best person got the job and my boss appreciates my work ethic, I don't feel like I was chosen because I was the best person for the job. I might have been but there is no way to know.

Again this was a union shop and there was no negotiating.