State of Kansas

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.9

Special Events/Sponsorship Interview

Face to face interview mostly asking about my experience and why I would be a good fit with department director and assistant managers. 2nd interview was more of the same but asked a few behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a very difficult VIP. How did you handle it and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    Yes surprisingly. Most state positions are at a set starting pay scale.

Human Services Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Kansas in October 2014.

I filled out the application online. I had to submit a tax clearance document, transcript, and letter of interest. I got a call about 2 weeks later to set up an interview. You arrive 15 minutes early and they give you a list of the interview questions. They are strictly behavioral questions. They have a list of these questions on their website somewhere - but there are over 800 questions and for my interview they gave me 8 questions. Nothing else was asked aside from those behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about the most difficult challenge you faced in trying to work cooperatively with someone who did not share the same ideas? What was your role in achieving the work objective? What was the long term impact on your ability to get things done while working together?   Answer Question

Field Tech (IT) Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at State of Kansas.

The questions were fairly technical. They asked me to draw a simple network diagram. They also asked questions specific to my resume, so make sure you know what's on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to draw a simple network diagram.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pratt, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pratt, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Kansas in September 2013.

A hire by committee so no one person was held responsible. Unfortunately those in attendance had nothing to do with the position or its responsibilities.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at State of Kansas in September 2011.

Professional, without being stuffy. Able to learn a lot about the organization through communication & website. Professionals I communicated with were very honest about their likes and dislikes.
    This position they were looking to fill quickly so the interview process went fast. Within 4 working days I had a face to face interview with a manager and a future colleague. I think the state of Kansas overall has a good working environment, and I love that you are doing something to benefit others.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest professional mistake?   View Answer

Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State of Kansas in May 2010.

It was a two person interview. Very well presented and informative. They explained the position, why there were 2 persons in the interview and what the duties of each of the interviewer was for the purpose of the interview and their roles at the organization. It was not rushed even though there were others to be conducted after mine.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't a difficult question. They were pretty standard questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation which is typical for a state or federal position.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dodge City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dodge City, KS

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State of Kansas in January 2010.

I was contact by the then current administrative assistant and asked to apply as she was being promoted. I made an appointment for an interview, kept the interview and was offered the job a couple of days later.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the questions difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    There was no negotion.

Network Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Kansas in April 2009.

I got a call to setup the interview, I followed up with the actual interview. It was a phone interview with three gentalman. Only one of the gentleman's names were known before the interview. I was not told it was going to be a technical interview. This was the first interview and it was purley technical. The one question that stumped me was what level of the OSI model does the ping command reside. They also sent some diagrams that were asked during the interview, this was pretty straight forward stuff. Also needed to know off the top of your head the subnet mask and hosts in each.

Interview Questions
    • What level of the osi model is the ping command in.   View Answer
    • How many subnets in the subnet mask /17   View Answer