State of Maine Interview Questions & Reviews

3.4

Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gardiner, ME
    Anonymous Employee in Gardiner, ME

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at State of Maine in August 2014.

Standard process. Two interviewers who asked questions on qualifications, experience, and behavioral questions. Interviewers were very friendly and they were relaxed which helped reduce stress. Quite a few questions were asked (around 15) but the desired responses varied in length.

Environmental Specialist IV Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Augusta, ME
    Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at State of Maine in January 2014.

This was a direct hire position, so I had to hand write my application (the fillable form did not work very well) and mail it. This was a little tedious, and I am not sure why they don't allow online submissions for these direct hire positions. I was contacted to interview for two positions (both Environmental Specialist IV, but with slightly different responsibilities) 25 days after the closing date. I thought this was a long waiting period, but the holidays probably affected that. The interviews were scheduled for the following week. I spent several hours of my time driving to the interviews, and I had to stay overnight in Augusta since they weren't scheduled on the same day. My expenses were not reimbursed since this is state government. I did think this was a little insane of me since the job pays about 20k less than I would make in state government in many states outside of New England and half of what I would make in the private sector. I was interested in the positions and in living in Maine, though, so I proceeded. I was required to bring a writing sample and references to the interviews. The interviewers were a panel of three people, and they each only asked a couple of questions, mostly aimed at project management skills. They really didn't ask any technical questions. The thing that really stood out was that most questions were hypothetical (what would you do...) and not based on what you actually did in the past. I was really thrown off during these interviews because both began with an extremely long hypothetical question that required me to take notes to keep track of what was said. This was a stressful way to begin the interview, and it wasn't really clear what they were looking for in my response. I actually asked them to clarify what they were looking for in this question during the second interview, and the person who asked it just shrugged mysteriously. I also thought two of the interviewers were very rude. One of them pointed out rudely that they can't write their notes as fast as I talk. They could have just asked politely for me to slow down. The other one, in response to a question about which departments I would be interacting with, said in a very condescending tone that this had already been covered during the interview. Overall, I felt that the interviewers' rude and distant behavior and hypothetical questions did not help me perform well. I usually feel that I do much better during interviews. I felt like I wasted my time and effort, especially for such a ridiculously low-paying job. Also, 21 says after the second interview, I still have received no rejection letter, even though I sent them the two required self-stamped envelopes.

Interview Questions
    • A hypothetical question describing various projects given to you on different dates, by different departments and people. Provide a road map for how you would approach these priorities. The question was extremely lengthy, so you have to take notes.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Augusta, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at State of Maine in January 2013.

Very canned, fixed questions. You are graded exclusively on your answers. Your resume means almost nothing. Use buzzwords that apply to a state government setting.

Interview Questions
    Refused job as current position was being offered as raise. This helped secure proper compensation and ultimate acceptance. don't act desperate.

Tax Examiner Interview

Structured interview process with 2nd round with intermediate level manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Set ranges.

Unemployed Interview

File for unemployment insurance forms filled out. Answer a simple questionnaires. I did speak with a state employee who answered my questions regarding eligibility, the need to look for work & apply for jobs each week.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was very straight forward with no real surprises.   View Answer
    No terms for negotiation.

Chairman Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Maine in March 2011.

Meetings with key officials

Interview Questions
    • Can you follow the direction of the legislature   View Answer
    Position is defined by statute

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at State of Maine in April 2009.

it was good process went through

Worked for State of Maine? Contribute to the Community!