State of Montana Project Manager Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helena, MT

I applied online – interviewed at State of Montana in March 2011.

The interview process included a lengthy written test and a face-to-face oral interview in front of a 3 person panel. The written portion probed for succinct subject matter appropriate for the position being offered. Some of the questions seemed to be geared toward a finals test rather than the type of questions one would expect on an actual hiring tool. It gave some pause to wonder if the test could extract or indicate one's job skill levels accurately. The face-to-face appeared to be an industry standard type of interview with typical questions being asked and the sense that the panel across the table was trying to gain an overall assessment of the professional and personal presence of the applicant and how that person would perform in their work environment. No surprises there.

Interview Questions
  • There was a question relating to internal hierarchy and following chain of command regarding a project overrun. The wording sounded like it could be a trick question at the time that perhaps only someone from the inside could answer correctly and only if they knew the internal management structure and who outside of the immediate project team was responsible for which facet of the project component.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for State of Montana

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Helena, MT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Montana in February 2010.

I responded to a position posting on the state website, and after about two weeks completed a telephone interview and asked to come onsite for a panel interview. I felt everyone involved was professional and courteous, much more so than the norm for other firms I'd encountered in my search. Approximately three weeks after the panel interview I was offered and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of a really challenging project and how you worked to overcome the challenges involved.   View Answer
    Negotiation focused on salary, and given this is a government position, the employer's room to maneuver was minimal. However, they did what they could to accommodate, and I feel the process was fair.