State of Nevada

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

The hiring process takes forever. First you have to take a test, make a certain score, then your name is put on a list.Not sure how long your name is on the list but mine has been there for six months. If you finally get called for an interview, you could wait another month or two before a hiring decision is made. Then you may not even know if you didn't get hired

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses --- that is the worst interview question ever!   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Find the job opening. It helps to know what the State calls the job since keywords aren't very helpful. Be ready to upload a typing certificate (wow old school and no you can't use one from online) and take the scheduled computerized/proxy exam (if/when offered). Wait to see if you passed and are offered an interview. Approximately 4-6 months.

Interview Questions
    • References. If you are self employed and have not been "supervised by a higher up" within the last 10 years be ready to think outside the box (volunteer, etc., anything to get a "supervisor" they can contact - you will need three (3) - two can be from the same place, one from another). Without this you will not be offered the position even if you are over-qualified for the job. What is "annoying" is the fact that this is something they would already know based on how your online application is filled out (so don't go clothes shopping). I did not know it would come down to this until I'd gone in for the interview.

As for the questions directly... they are typed and taped to the table top. They are extremely generic - with some that have no direct connection with the specific job. Not unlike a large portion of the exam, there isn't much there that would help current State employees/interviewers understand one's values and strengths (or weaknesses).

The two interviewers were extremely nice (as was everyone), but you can tell they are following a typical "Nevada party line" that they have no control over.

Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at State of Nevada in September 2014.

I applied online April 2014. Weeks later I had to take a test in a testing center. I earned a good score. About a month later I was called for an interview and skills test. I thought I did well on both. 6 weeks after that I was called for a second interview. I received a rejection letter in late July 2014.
    It turns out I was on a list of eligible applicants with the state. I was called by another department in September 2014. I interviewed. They checked my background/references etc. I start November 2014. It's a long process but if you remain patient you can get a job. The starting pay was lower than expected but I hear the benefits and job security are pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • Name an example of a time you had conflict with a coworker and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Explain your multitasking skills.   View Answer
    N/a. Pay is what it is.

Administrative Assistant IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online – interviewed at State of Nevada in August 2014.

Applied online, then waited about 5 months before I was contacted for an interview. When I got to the interview, I had to fill out a sheet giving references from past jobs. The interview panel consisted of 2 people, who basically asked questions from a form and apologized for not looking up so much, due to writing. It lasted about 15 or 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Got another job offer before I received the offer from the State of Nevada, which didn't require mandatory furloughs.

Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State of Nevada.

Panel of interviewers, mostly upper management. Questions asked include explain a time when you had conflict with a co- worker and how did you handle it; also gave a packet of sample of possible violations as a test.

Interview Questions
    • Was given a sample of fraudulent documents to determine ability to see violations   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Family Services Specialist I Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at State of Nevada in July 2014.

When applying, you'll need a typing certificate from a local employment/staffing office (Appleone, Manpower, etc) as online typing certificates are not accepted. Once I applied, I was contacted by a recruiter the next day inviting me to take a written exam scheduled a couple weeks out. The exam consists of 100 questions of basic math, comprehension, office practice, etc. You must score at least 65% or higher to move on to the next step. You're able to find out your exam results a few hours after your exam is submitted. About 2 weeks after taking and passing the exam, I was contacted by a member of the hiring panel for one of the local Welfare offices to schedule an interview. My interview was scheduled for a month or so out. The interview process itself wasn't as nerve wracking as I thought it would be. Prior to going to the interview, you must have at least 2 copies of your resume and 3 references that they can contact directly and it must be former management, supervisors or team leads (2 of the 3 can be from the same company). I was interviewed by 2 people simultaneously. Once you're in the room with them, they go into detail about the position and then get to asking the "questions."

Interview Questions
    • The job requires 3 months of hardcore training and 2-3 months of transitioning into a local office and spreading your wings so to speak. So if you have any plans, pre-planned vacations, weddings, pretty much any event or occasion that will hinder you from participating without missing a day of training or work for 5-6 months, then you most likely will not be considered.   Answer Question
    • Once the question asking process of the interview starts, they actually have a list of the 6 or 7 questions they'll ask you and it's posted on the table right in front of you so you can get an idea of what's to come and kind of get a headstart with developing an answer for the next question.   Answer Question
    • Some of the questions asked:

1) What do you think a Family Services Specialist position entails?

2) What kind of services do we provide?

3) What type of skills do you feel this position requires?

4) Name a time you were in a difficult situation and what was the outcome?

5) Name a time you had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at State of Nevada in November 2013.

March 2013, I applied. I completed the skills testing in April. I interviewed in May and September and was not offered the position. I interviewed in December 2013, was offered and accepted the position in January 2014. Start date is March 3rd.

There was no negotiation

Family Services Specialist I Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at State of Nevada.

Tested with state after passing initial qualification screening. Offered interview after test. Had to respond to an essay question while waiting for scheduled interview. Interviewed with a panel of three people. Questions asked were the fluffy ridiculous questions that you see frequently. "Give me an example of how you handled a stressful situation" and "what are the most important qualities in a coworker"

Education and Information Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Nevada.

There is an application and security check process before an interview is scheduled. If you pass the security check you are granted the interview. The interview is a group interview with 5 people present each asking various questions ranging from former employment, education, and community service to pointed behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Who would you hire from this group? Why?   View Answer
    There wasn't one

Health Care Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Nevada in November 2012.

The application process is done online. Once you complete the application you may be called in for an interview. It's at least a two to three person panel asking you questions about the position and your work experience as it relates to the position. The people were friendly and polite. The interview lasted appropriately 20 to 35 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you felt uncomfortable while at an individuals home? would you stay or leave the home?   View Answer
    No, negotiation I was hired at the lowest level.