State of North Carolina

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Nurse Interview

Nurse

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of North Carolina.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by an agency about the job but before I completed their paperwork , the State posted a position. I applied the same day and chose to wait to see if they would call. About 3 weeks later they did and scheduled me for an interview later that week.

Interview Question – A list of MD orders and had to indicate what was missing, if anything, from the order. It was not difficult but unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was contacted 3 weeks after interviewing. Came into the facility and was presented with a contingent offer that was well above what I expected.

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at State of North Carolina in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied and was contacted through Temporary Solutions. I was interviewed by the immediate supervisors and another project coordinator. Later I was interviewed by the department manager. It appeared that the first interview was the formal interview and the second interview was more of a personality test to see if the manager felt I would be a good fit.

Interview Question – Tell us about the most important career decision you've made.   View Answer

Magistrate Judge Interview

Magistrate Judge

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State of North Carolina.

Interview Details – Applied for position on state website. (You have to be a resident of that county at time of appointment FYI) Applicants are selected to interview by the Clerk of Court (elected official) and those selected are scheduled for an group/panel interview. Ultimately the decision is made by the Chief Superior Court Judge of the county in which you are applying for.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a Magistrate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No pay negotiation, pay set at state rate.

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at State of North Carolina

Interview Details – Internet

Interview Question – Do you want to continue your education?   View Answer

Business & Technology Applications Specialist Interview

Business & Technology Applications Specialist
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of North Carolina in January 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted electronic application through the State jobs website. They now use the NeoGov system instead of the paper PD-107 forms. Got a call for an interview about one week after the job listed closed. First interview was not phone, but rather a panel interview with team lead and other programmers present. Lasted about 90 minutes but there was a good rapport among everyone and the interview was actually somewhat enjoyable. A week later, got another phone call from H.R. that I was in the running but I would have to show up for another in-person interview with H.R. to fill out paper work to authorize background check, reference check and drug test. They basically told me I had the job, but they couldn't extend an offer until the results of the drug test and background check came back. About a week later, I got an offer letter. The salary offered was near the top of the "recruitment range" that was listed with the job posting, so I didn't feel the need to negotiate, since it was higher than expected. Overall good experience, but they definitely prefer in-person interviews instead of phone interviews. They also asked me for examples (web sites, etc.) of my development work which we reviewed during the interview. Note: in order to make an offer, they need 2 positive references from recent previous employers. Luckily I had these.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position? What interests you the most?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offered salary was higher than what I was expecting, so no negotiations took place. However, it did "feel" like they might've been open to negotiation had the offered salary been lower.

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State of North Carolina in February 2009.

Interview Details – Applied to the job online. Got a call from HR about 2 weeks later. Had a initial technical interview with HR that went well so they scheduled an in person interview. The interview was a group interview. They asked questions about your working experience then they asked some detailed questions about database commands, and J2EE design and pattern.

Interview Question – What is the syntax of SQL commands for joining database table?   Answer Question

Human Services Coordinator Interview

Human Services Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at State of North Carolina.

Interview Details – The interview process can be lengthy. I applied but didn't get a phone call for interview until 2 months later. Once interviewed it was a two part process. Once with two managers and the second with the office manager. Overall, a good experience. They asked scenario questions and really wanted to know what I had to offer them.

Interview Question – They narrowed down to two applicants and I was asked to present myself as the "winning candidate" so basically give an elevator speech. I was not prepared for that, but it went well, I got the job!   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Auditor

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at State of North Carolina in June 2008.

Interview Details – Takes a while with the State. Several months after you apply to hear if you have an interview. If you get an interview it will be several months until offer. By the time you hear back from the State, a lot of times you have already accepted another position. Long process.

Interview Question – What are your expectations for this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for State of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of North Carolina interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by State of North Carolina employees and interview candidates.