State of North Dakota Interview Questions

1.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at State of North Dakota

Candidate Interview Review

Eligibility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State of North Dakota in December 2014.

Interview

I came across an article about the job situation in North Dakota. It claimed there was a shortage of skilled, experienced workers across the state. I went on the North Dakota web site and found a listing of state jobs. One job announcement that caught my attention was Eligibility Worker. The main job duty is to take applications for public assistance and determine eligibility for federal and state welfare programs. I’ve done that work before in another state. I have more than 15 years experience in the human services field. Since you deal with federal programs, the job doesn’t change that much from state to state. It’s kind of like doing federal income taxes. One state isn’t much different from another. The pay range for the Eligibility Worker job varies from county to county in North Dakota. I found some counties paying as little as $2000.00 per month and others paying up to $5000.00 per month. I first applied in Fargo. The pay range listed for that opening was almost $5000.00 per month. After submitting the application online I was contacted by the manager of the economic support division. We arranged to conduct the interview by phone. I was interviewed by a total of four people, the manager who scheduled the interview and three supervisors. We talked for about an hour. By the time we finished I realized I probably had more education and experience than all four of the interviewers (awkward). One of the supervisors told me that I “had the job” but I never received any follow up offer. Almost immediately after the interview, the same job notice was posted again on the North Dakota website. I then applied for an Eligibility Worker position in another county which also was paying about $5000.00 per month. That interview was also conducted by phone. I was interviewed by three supervisors. That interview also took about an hour. By the time we finished, I realized that I had more education and experience than all three of them combined (really awkward). They sent me an email after the interview telling me they were not hiring me for that position. They said I should consider applying for other positions in their agency but wouldn’t tell me which one. That was the last I heard from them. Almost immediately after turning me down, the same job was posted again on the North Dakota website. Maybe ignorance really is bliss. I then applied for an Eligibility Worker position in another county and interviewed by phone again with three supervisors. The pay range was up to $4400.00 per month according to the job announcement. This time I tried to dumb myself down. I downplayed my experience and education and it worked. They offered me the job at $2700.00 per month. When I asked about the $4400.00 listed on the website they told me that the website was wrong and they were only paying $2700.00 per month. Not only was the pay $2700.00 per month they said, I should not expect a raise anytime soon if ever. At that rate of pay it would cost me about two months wages just to move there. Although they offered me the job they never followed up with a written offer. The last county I applied in also was offering up to $4400.00 per month according to the job announcement on the North Dakota website. Before I applied I talked with the director of the department to verify the wage scale. She assured me that the wage offer listed on the North Dakota website was accurate. She also stated that the pay scale was under review and was expected to go up. I submitted my application and was interviewed a couple weeks later by phone. I interviewed with three people including the director of the department I had spoke with earlier. During the interview the director told me that the pay for the job was $2700.00 per month. When I asked about the amounts listed on the North Dakota website she said the website was wrong! This was the same director who said it was correct. She also stated that there were people in her department who were on the job over three years without getting a raise. The director later sent me an email telling me they picked someone else. I haven’t applied for any other positions. The whole process left me a bit exasperated. I have no idea how much the Eligibility Worker positions listed on the North Dakota website are paying. I applied to four different counties. I was interviewed by 12 women and one man. In between interviews I found a website called North Dakota eligibility workers association. It has names and pictures of North Dakota eligibility workers. Most of the workers shown are white females which I am not. Me thinks I might of wasted my time eh. Go Bears.

Interview Questions