State of Oregon Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

PC Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Oregon in December 2012.

There was some technical and personality questions given before the interview. The panel consisted of Employee Services employees, department employees, and management. They did a round robin panel where they went around the table asking the questions. It was a very comfortable environment due to the technical personnel there so it wasn't just management.

Interview Questions
    • Not really so difficult but more so hard to answer. They asked what the most challenging problem I had to overcome as a technician. To me this is hard because there has been many over the years. It was hard to pick just one due to the complexity of some issues I have ran into.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate up 2 full pay grade steps after my offer letter was sent to me.

Human Service Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State of Oregon in April 2014.

Applied online, application was accepted one week later. Offered an interview approximately 30 days after I applied. I was told it would take 3 weeks before you would hear from the employer. Still waiting to hear back. The interview process was a group interview. You were given a question along with up to 20 other candidates with 15 min to gather your answer. Then you read the question and the answer out loud to the candidates and 3 judges. After that a break is offered and then we were put into groups and had to collaborate an answer together. Worst part is waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker or boss, what was the situation, the obstacle, action and result.   Answer Question

Human Service Specialist III Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Oregon in May 2014.

I applied for the position on their website. They emailed me about 3 weeks after the position closed to invite me to an interview. They interviewed all the qualified applicants on one day. I took the first interview slot so I could set the standard. The interview took about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • I was told to arrive 15 minutes before so I could fill out the questions. I arrived 20 minutes before and they made me wait 5 minutes (they will give the questions out exactly 15 mins before the interview). Read through the packet quickly because you will run out of time to fill out the questions. There were 5 managers in the room to interview me. They took turns asking the questions on the packet. When I walked in the room I went up and shook all of their hands and introduced myself. I tried to look very professional. I was well dressed, I took a binder with a copy of my resume, cover letter, references, recommendation letters, and a copy of my application. Try to look super organized. Questions were related on the position. They would ask what I would do in a situation, how well I work in teams, how I explain policy and procedures, how I handled a difficult situation, and how I would explain that an option is not available. There were no questions on my strengths and weaknesses thank goodness! Give good details and personal experiences! At the end of the interview I asked when I will be notified and I handed out my resume and forms. I had the interview on a Tuesday. They said they will call the person getting the job by Friday, and the rest will get an email or letter. I was called that Thursday late morning with the offer.   Answer Question
    Since the position was a range of the salary, I asked what I will be making. Since I do not have any experience in this kind of position, but I do have a Bachelors, they only offered the starting salary. They said they rarely start anywhere else for external applicants. But she said that the first 6 months is a probation period to see if I was a good fit for this position. After 6 months they will reevaluate you and determine if I will get a raise from the starting salary.

Economist I Interview

First a detailed submission done online that included short answer/ essay questions. Then if you pass that section, and interview is scheduled over the phone. The interviews were in Salem, OR but there was the option to interview via phone. Obviously in person would be the better option. The format of the interview was essentially a presentation by me to a group of people based on a list of questions we received in advance.

Interview Questions
    • None were very difficult seeing as you received them all beforehand. the trick, as is always the case, was finding the best answer, and practicing delivering that.   Answer Question

Economist II Interview

Applied online. Expect the application to take a long time as there are some really detailed questions. I was contacted about a week or two afterward about interviewing for the position. For the interview we were given a series of questions about ourselves ahead of time that we had to then prepare answers for. The interview itself was more of a presentation with me presenting my own answers to the questions within a time limit.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't really have any unexpected questions because the hard questions were given ahead of time.   Answer Question

Procurement and Contracts Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State of Oregon in November 2013.

Was offered the chance to interview approximately 5 weeks after the position closed. Interview panel was pleasant and friendly, but was not particularly interested in interviewing the large number of candidates slated for an interview. I had 15 minutes to review the interview questions and an organizational chart before being called into the interview.

The panel asked follow-up questions for clarification, and expressed an interest in the logistics of hiring me for the position. At the time of the interview, it was difficult to determine whether that interest was driven by politeness, or was genuine interest. Based on the fact that I did not receive an offer, my guess is that the panel was attempting to show interest out of politeness.

Questions were straightforward. There was a definite preference for candidates currently holding State of Oregon procurement certification.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain a situation in which you had a conflict with a manager. Describe the circumstances, what you did, the outcome, and whether you were pleased with the results.   View Answer

HSS III Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  West Saint Helens, OR
    Anonymous Employee in West Saint Helens, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at State of Oregon in October 2013.

Went into interview and was greeted by receptionist who gave me 15 minutes to review interview questions. I wrote down a few responses to each of the questions which took pressure off as I knew what my thoughts were and able to answer questions thoroughly. Felt good with interview process

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have any unexpected questions; what was on the paper is what they asked. I did have to turn in my questions after interview.   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online - interviewed at State of Oregon.

Panel interview. Not very challenging. About 10 questions.

No negotiating. State salary range. BOLI investigators are lowest paid investigators in the state. Go to work for DOJ.

Social Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Oregon in October 2009.

There are typically 3-4 people (supervisors, program manager, other social workers) on your interview panel. They take turns asking questions - some broad and some case specific questions. I did not find the process intimidating; and I felt I had pretty good answers to all the questions, even though the first time I interviewed with the State of OR I had no social work experience. It was too long ago to recall the questions. Sorry!

When I accepted my offer I had no clue that I could have negotiated to get a slightly higher salary, based on the fact that I have a masters. I wish I would've known that because once you accept a certain salary, you basically never get a pay raise. Definitely try to get more money up front because, essentially, that's how much money you'll be making for as long as you're there.

Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at State of Oregon.

A 3-5 panel of interviewers take turns asking questions

Not much of a chance to negotiate salaries when working for the public sector

Worked for State of Oregon? Contribute to the Community!