State of Oregon Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Technical Development Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial Phone Screen then face-to-face panel interview with four people in a conference room. Each person asked a question and took notes on my answer. I got stumped on the technical questions since I had been out of the industry for a while. The phone screen was pleasant and informative.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you estimated a project incorrectly. How could you motivate a team of developers when you are handling great change internally to the organization.   Answer Question

Operations and Business Analyst DHS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon (Salem, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial screening done online then email asking to set up interview time. Filled out standard background check for state employment then pre filled out the set questions for the interview. They kept the filled out sheet and asked the questions verbatim. Overall very tight interview was set for one hour but only took 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time about when change was needed and how did you handle the change?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with Medical Board - scheduled the time via an online system and was allotted 15 minutes for the interview. The hiring manager called me and at that point I found out it was a PANEL phone interview, she introduced 2 other people that would also ask questions. The interview was very rushed and the behavioral questions they asked should have been saved for a face to face interview, as for "storytelling" answers one would need more time to effectively answer the questions. Multi-part questions should also be saved for a a face to face or allowed more time. 15 minutes was not enough time for a panel style interview, for the team to get a good idea if I was good fit for the role. At the end they asked if I had any questions, but by that time I could tell they wanted to end the interview, and really didn't listen to me. Their responses were very generic and overall attitude from the manager was negative - it seemed like she was annoyed that she had to even be on the call. They asked about salary requirements even though the job posting specified that they couldn't pay a "new" state employee more than X amount. I said my requirement was in alignment with that. Call ended abruptly after salary talk. Generic rejection email to followed within a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• What are your Salary Expectations? Tell a time where you dealt with a difficult (hostile/angry/upset) person? What happened? How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at State of Oregon.

Interview

Excellent. Was asked by a panel and also translated a form for them. Consisted of six questions in which I was given 15 minutes to answer. The questions were all situational and to be answered in POST method.

ISS3 ( Junior Programmer Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon (Salem, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online, about a month later the application period ended and I got an email to set up an interview through their online system. There was only one day they were doing the interviews, so the interview were back to back to back. I was instructed to arrive 20 minutes early and I would fill our paperwork and get 15 minutes to preview questions. Upon arriving I did just that. There were 5 questions, only 1 was very technical and asked about experience with n-tier solutions. The other four were pretty much behavioral. The interview was very comfortable with 3 employees, each from different areas. They took notes while I walked through each question and answered them. For the most part, I was in control of the interview. I brought my own questions to ask at the end, one of which inquired about the hiring timeline. The head guy said he'd like to have an idea by the end of the week. Interview was on a Tuesday. I thought it went well, but the next Tuesday found out they chose a different candidate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon in September 2014.

Interview

Application is through online process NeoGov.com. After your application is scored, you will receive an interview if you are in the scoring range the hiring manager selects. If you are selected for an interview, you will meet with an interview panel of 4-5 people, depending on the job. From my experience, the top candidate may come back for an informal interview with the hiring manager. The whole hiring process can take 6-8 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions   1 Answer

Human Service Specialist III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position on their website. They emailed me about 3 weeks after the position closed to invite me to an interview. They interviewed all the qualified applicants on one day. I took the first interview slot so I could set the standard. The interview took about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I was told to arrive 15 minutes before so I could fill out the questions. I arrived 20 minutes before and they made me wait 5 minutes (they will give the questions out exactly 15 mins before the interview). Read through the packet quickly because you will run out of time to fill out the questions. There were 5 managers in the room to interview me. They took turns asking the questions on the packet. When I walked in the room I went up and shook all of their hands and introduced myself. I tried to look very professional. I was well dressed, I took a binder with a copy of my resume, cover letter, references, recommendation letters, and a copy of my application. Try to look super organized. Questions were related on the position. They would ask what I would do in a situation, how well I work in teams, how I explain policy and procedures, how I handled a difficult situation, and how I would explain that an option is not available. There were no questions on my strengths and weaknesses thank goodness! Give good details and personal experiences! At the end of the interview I asked when I will be notified and I handed out my resume and forms. I had the interview on a Tuesday. They said they will call the person getting the job by Friday, and the rest will get an email or letter. I was called that Thursday late morning with the offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since the position was a range of the salary, I asked what I will be making. Since I do not have any experience in this kind of position, but I do have a Bachelors, they only offered the starting salary. They said they rarely start anywhere else for external applicants. But she said that the first 6 months is a probation period to see if I was a good fit for this position. After 6 months they will reevaluate you and determine if I will get a raise from the starting salary.

Human Service Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Oregon (Salem, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, application was accepted one week later. Offered an interview approximately 30 days after I applied. I was told it would take 3 weeks before you would hear from the employer. Still waiting to hear back. The interview process was a group interview. You were given a question along with up to 20 other candidates with 15 min to gather your answer. Then you read the question and the answer out loud to the candidates and 3 judges. After that a break is offered and then we were put into groups and had to collaborate an answer together. Worst part is waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker or boss, what was the situation, the obstacle, action and result.   Answer Question

Economist I Interview

Interview

First a detailed submission done online that included short answer/ essay questions. Then if you pass that section, and interview is scheduled over the phone. The interviews were in Salem, OR but there was the option to interview via phone. Obviously in person would be the better option. The format of the interview was essentially a presentation by me to a group of people based on a list of questions we received in advance.

Interview Questions

• None were very difficult seeing as you received them all beforehand. the trick, as is always the case, was finding the best answer, and practicing delivering that.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Oregon (Salem, OR) in February 2014.

Interview

Very routine. Provided questions before interview. The questions were very very easy. there were about 20 questions and each person asked a question. I think it went really well and was easy to follow.