State of Tennessee Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
19 interviews

2.7

Disability Claims Examiner Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee.

I applied online early May and about one week after the posting closed, I received an email informing me to contact someone at the state to schedule an interview. A week later I had an interview with several others since they were hiring 28 people for this position. We were escorted to a room and watched a video on the disability claim process. After the video we did a written exam which consisted of answering a few questions about the video and one additional questions on how we would handle a negative person at work. I believe they were looking at our ability to summarize information and write. I had just the one interview before they contacted me to offer me the job a week later. It took about 4 weeks total.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult. Situational questions mainly such as: Tell us about a time when you had to deal with an angry client? Tell us about a time when you had multiple deadlines and how you handle that? Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a negative person at work? etc...   Answer Question
    No negotiation as it's the state and you have to start off at the level one position/salary.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee in May 2014.

I applied through a company called CIBER located in Knoxville. I submitted all my information, certifications, resume, and other. I was placed on an eligible list and was then called for an interview the following week. During the interview I was asked several generic questions, Describe a problem you've had with a co-worker and how you worked through it, What are your personal advantages and goals?, What are your personal flaws or weaknesses? Because the position was a GIS analyst for NG911 Services for the state I was required to show that I knew what I was doing. I was asked questions related to GIS and the software for over an hour and was then required to create a Geo-Database from scratch while the interviewers watched. I had to give my results at the end and make sure all the processes worked. In the end I was told I was the only one who passed the test but was not chosen due to my location in the state.

Interview Questions
    • All the generic ones. I hate them because it seems like there is no right answer.   Answer Question

Assistant General Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at State of Tennessee.

The hiring process can be long and drawn out. Generally, you respond to a job posting by submitting a resume and cover letter. If your credentials match the position, you will be asked to interview. Some departments only do one round of interviews; others may do two rounds. Because it takes so long to process employment paperwork, it may be a month or so (some people have waited several months) before you receive an offer.

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee in February 2013.

Phone interview

Trooper Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Tennessee in October 2010.

The interview consists of a panel of Troopers and is recorded. You must answer questions that have mostly to do with past experiences you have had dealing with moral dilemmas. They do prefer these situations to pertain to law enforcement if possible. You must also sit down with an investigator to go over you background information, to determine that you are being truthful.

Interview Questions
    • The background interview can make you seem like a bad person, but the most important thing is just being truthful and forthcoming.   Answer Question

I took an offer elsewhere before I received the offer.

Eligibility Counselor I Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State of Tennessee.

The initial process is the application and then if you are selected you are offered an interview date with around 30 people. You are then all taken off on your own and interviewed separately.

Interview Questions
    • They were all standard questions nothing off the way or strange.   Answer Question
    There is no salary negotiations. It is a state job you start at the base and hope it gets better. It doesn't.

Deputy Commissioner for Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee in August 2011.

Three phone intrviews, Skype interview, one half day long face to face with department heads.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to change the culture.   View Answer
    Not muhc, being a state job, they had a limit to what they could pay.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee.

Laid back interview process
    One on one interview
    No trick questions
    Easy interview
    No stress

Interview Questions
    • Very easy, informal, one on one interview. No trick questions,   Answer Question
    Cannot negotiate salary

Program Manager Interview

State applications must be "fluffed" and as detailed as possible or you will not be considered eligible for the position that you are applying to fill. Interviews are now based on behavioral based questions and held by at least 3 people asking "canned" types of questions.

Interview Questions
    • none, pretty routine like "what makes you a good candidate for this position?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Positions are set with a starting, base salary. You either accept it or not regardless of your education and experience.

UI Claims Adjudicator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Tennessee in November 2009.

You must submit your application and wait for the results. Then you have to wait to see if you will be contacted regarding an interview. Then, you must survive the interview. Afterwards, you have to wait for the decision and the hiring process to be finalized.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position in Dyersburg?   View Answer

Worked for State of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!