State of Tennessee Interview Questions

2.7

Case Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee in August 2014.

The questions were intense, focusing on my experience with different populations and situations and how I would handle them. Bottom line though: I believe they knew when I walked in the door whether I was who they were looking to hire.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you strongly disagreed with your boss and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Disability Claims Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

I applied online early May and about one week after the posting closed, I received an email informing me to contact someone at the state to schedule an interview. A week later I had an interview with several others since they were hiring 28 people for this position. We were escorted to a room and watched a video on the disability claim process. After the video we did a written exam which consisted of answering a few questions about the video and one additional questions on how we would handle a negative person at work. I believe they were looking at our ability to summarize information and write. I had just the one interview before they contacted me to offer me the job a week later. It took about 4 weeks total.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult. Situational questions mainly such as: Tell us about a time when you had to deal with an angry client? Tell us about a time when you had multiple deadlines and how you handle that? Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a negative person at work? etc...   Answer Question
    No negotiation as it's the state and you have to start off at the level one position/salary.

Assistant General Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State of Tennessee.

The hiring process can be long and drawn out. Generally, you respond to a job posting by submitting a resume and cover letter. If your credentials match the position, you will be asked to interview. Some departments only do one round of interviews; others may do two rounds. Because it takes so long to process employment paperwork, it may be a month or so (some people have waited several months) before you receive an offer.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee in May 2014.

I applied through a company called CIBER located in Knoxville. I submitted all my information, certifications, resume, and other. I was placed on an eligible list and was then called for an interview the following week. During the interview I was asked several generic questions, Describe a problem you've had with a co-worker and how you worked through it, What are your personal advantages and goals?, What are your personal flaws or weaknesses? Because the position was a GIS analyst for NG911 Services for the state I was required to show that I knew what I was doing. I was asked questions related to GIS and the software for over an hour and was then required to create a Geo-Database from scratch while the interviewers watched. I had to give my results at the end and make sure all the processes worked. In the end I was told I was the only one who passed the test but was not chosen due to my location in the state.

Interview Questions
    • All the generic ones. I hate them because it seems like there is no right answer.   Answer Question

Eligibility Counselor I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

The initial process is the application and then if you are selected you are offered an interview date with around 30 people. You are then all taken off on your own and interviewed separately.

Interview Questions
    • They were all standard questions nothing off the way or strange.   Answer Question
    There is no salary negotiations. It is a state job you start at the base and hope it gets better. It doesn't.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

Laid back interview process
    One on one interview
    No trick questions
    Easy interview
    No stress

Interview Questions
    • Very easy, informal, one on one interview. No trick questions,   Answer Question
    Cannot negotiate salary

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

State applications must be "fluffed" and as detailed as possible or you will not be considered eligible for the position that you are applying to fill. Interviews are now based on behavioral based questions and held by at least 3 people asking "canned" types of questions.

Interview Questions
    • none, pretty routine like "what makes you a good candidate for this position?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Positions are set with a starting, base salary. You either accept it or not regardless of your education and experience.

Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

After applying online, I received an e-mail approximately a week later asking for me to call a specified person to schedule an interview. The interview took place about a week later. It was a panel of 4 people made up of 2 supervisors, a current case manager, and an HR representative. A standard set of questions were asked to all candidates and the panel members wrote down my answers. About a week later, my references were contacted. And within a couple of days following that, I received a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your supervisor and how did you handle it? How would you rate your organizational skills and what tools do you use to stay organized? How would you handle an irate/hostile client? Are you willing to visit clients in their homes alone? Are you willing to use your own vehicle to transport clients and their children? Are you willing to be on-call for emergencies? Are you willing to travel anywhere in the state of TN as necessary?   Answer Question
    The salaries for state employees are pre-determined and non-negotiable to my knowledge. I was asked to start the job about 3 weeks later.

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State of Tennessee.

The whole hiring process has changed since was interviewed. When I interviewed for the job, I was placed on a register that 'graded' my skill sets against what they listed in the job description. This meant carefully going over the description to make sure my application clearly listed skills in the areas listed. End result? High score. With a high score I was listed high enough on the 'eligible' list to get an interview. The interview was fairly typical, but meeting with some key hiring decision makers a couple of weeks before the job posting, and 'expressing my interest (and abilities) went quite far in being hired. The fact that they had already talked about me gave me a good leg up when the interview time arrived.

Interview Questions
    • One of the people 'helping' with the interview was not terribly knowledgeable about the systems and threw me some 'odd' curve ball questions. But other than that - most questions were the standard interview fare.   Answer Question
    Not a whole lot of negotiation. The salary rates are mostly set, and the hiring manager was greatly interested in doing all he could to get me the best 'package' possible.

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Tennessee in February 2013.

Phone interview