State of Texas

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Updated Jul 11, 2014

2.9

Senior IT Auditor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of Texas.

Applied Online, was invited to an interview and they came back with an offer the next day. Interview was very technical and left no room for doubts about what the job entailed. They were very keen to find out if I was willing to take on very challenging problems and provide realistic solutions.

No negotiations.

Spokesperson Interview

Quick and pleasant, prompt feedback. Interviewed with three people. questions were a little repetitive. They were forthcoming about the personalities involved - for example, so and so is grumpy in the morning, can you deal with that?

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Texas.

It was easy to get in for me, I got an email asking for an interview. I went to the interview and was called back for a date when I could start. The rest is history.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of Texas.

The interview and hiring process is similar to that of a position that should pay at least 70k. It is a 3 person panel interview and the hoops that they expect you to jump through are ridiculous for less than $13 per hour. They only require a high school diploma in order to justify the low pay. But the required background check, knowledge, skills, testing, responsibilities and hazards of the job should render a minimum of 50k annually

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions were asked. Mainly focused around character and customer service skills as was expected   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State of Texas.

The hiring and interview process was easy.

Workforce Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at State of Texas.

three stars neutral to private sector

Interview Questions
    There is typically no negotiation with the State. Although, more jobseekers would be interested if hiring managers used their abilites to utilize ranges.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpine, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Texas.

I had applied but no position was available; I had a preliminary interview and told I would be contacted if something opened up. Then, on Christmas Eve, I got a calling asking if I were interested in filling an unexpected vacancy in January to teach in the spring semester. I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would work with students who might have low academic preparation for college.   View Answer
    Fixed at Instructor level.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at State of Texas in August 2011.

Met with manager and one employee. Questions were predetermined. As with any state job, the questions were rated and points given. Depending on the number of question that were answered correctly will determine if you are eligible for the position. All eligible applicants are then called back for 2nd interview. As I was a quick hire, no 2nd interview required.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between waterfall method and prototyping model? What is the hybrid of these two methods called?   View Answer
    • What is a rational Unified Process   View Answer
    • How would you define SDLC   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Program Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Texas in June 2011.

I had to sit in a cubicle and take a skills test which consisted of creating several spreadsheets with different graphs. It was fairly difficult in the amount of time they gave me - I think they wanted it to be a situation where you really couldn't finish in time, to see what you thought would be the most important elements of the task. Then I had the panel interview. There were three gentlemen on the panel, and one HR rep who did all the talking. It was a non-interactive interview, meaning no one could ask me questions or talk to me. The HR rep gave me a binder that had around 11 interview questions that I would first read, then respond to. I was given an amount of time (around 45 minutes) in which to answer all of my questions, and I had to watch my own time. The panel had check lists of things that they checked off while I talked and wrote notes. It was very structured and formal. Memorizing the official job opening notice and touching on all of those elements appears to be the key to doing well in a state of Texas job interview.

Interview Questions
    • I really can't remember. This was like 3 months ago. I believe I was asked how I'm able to deal with difficult people in difficult circumstances.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State of Texas in August 2010.

Hiring process was lengthy, I think about three months from application to hiring. Interviews for SoTX jobs always involve a list of set questions that do not vary from candidate to candidate. I was allowed to review the questions for a few minutes before the interview. At my agency, at the time I was hired, the hiring department offered you the job and negotiated salary with you. Those functions are now handled by HR.

Interview Questions
    Unfortunately, I did not negotiate. As I stated above, at my agency, at the time I was hired, the hiring department offered the job and negotiated salary. Now, those tasks are handled by HR.