State of Utah Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2015

3.2

Licensing Tech Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at State of Utah.

Interview

I was interviewed by the board manager and her secretary. It was about 20 minutes in length. I know the board manager looked at my resume as she asked me questions about certain dates,etc. The decision making process was long. I finally got a call back after three weeks or so. That should have been the first clue this is not a good place to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was NO negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Utah in September 2014.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 3 people asking questions. They asked behavioral based questions, mostly questions that started with "Tell me of a time when you ..." They gave me a minute to think before responding to the questions.

Interview Questions

• Why should we consider you for this position instead of the other candidates?   Answer Question

Chaplain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2014.

Interview

After submitting application on-line, was informed that I would need to pre-record via Skype some canned questions, which would be forwarded to various department heads for further review and then an in-person panel interview afterward. Very patronizing and condescending.

Interview Questions

Impersonal tone of interview process, very inappropriate method

Workforce Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Utah.

Interview

Arrive 30 minutes early, because the receptionist at the admin. building will give you a sheet of interview questions to answer on paper before your actual interview they give you 15 minutes to complete this sheet. Once done with this, you will be lead to the interview room where 2-4 people will be asking you questions and write down your responses. make sure your research the jobs.utah.gov website and that your are familiar with the temporary assistance programs and U.I. Compensation. They will give you scenario questions about helping people with temporary assistance programs. Keep in mind that they are not only rating you on your answers but on your dress. Come dressed in Business Professional Clothing. Don't wear too much jewelry and make sure that your clothing is not wrinkled.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at State of Utah in March 2013.

Interview

Interview process was normal. Nothing special.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the State of Utah. I really don't but due to the current economic "scene" I am forced to find somewhere that I can find stability and pay my bills. A sad commentary on our national "Lords" (leaders).   Answer Question

Found other work

Employment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taylorsville, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Utah (Taylorsville, UT).

Interview

State skills match resume was competed... An application was completed and a personal resume was requested. Interview was a panel interview and they were pretty tough. The gave me 3 questions to prepare for for 15 min. and then I went in where the questions were asked. "Give me a situation where you feel you provided great customer service?

Interview Questions

• It was so long ago.... All questions were difficult customer service questions. Internal as well as external customer service questions were given to see what would take priority if several people needed service at the same time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate. It was an entry level position with no experience, but education was a big factor.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at State of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview came about 4 months after applying. Didn't even remember what the job was about. The interview process was one of the easiest I have ever had. Basically they were looking for key words and not really educated in the area of the job duties enough to ask the right questions. Everyone made it sound like a great environment to work in and I was excited to start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I declined because the initial offer was really low but then they re-offered me at a higher rate and I accepted.

Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2011.

Interview

Very simple and straight forward. Basic "tell us why you think you would be a good fit for this position". It was a one on one interview style, initially contacted by HR recruiter and then scheduled for in person interview.

Interview Questions

• "Name your overall strength's and weaknesses and how they would benefit you in this position"   Answer Question

Manager Department of Professional Licensing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2011.

Interview

Call from employee setting up phone interview, unclear as to department or position. Phone call with 4 people with two questions - why do you want job and how are your skills different then the other candidates. As the application had been for a different dept i was confused as to what job it was even for, so felt unprepared. I thought the second question a waste as i have no idea of the skills of the other candidates! They explained the job in the interview and the job posting was completely different...i think it was just a ruse to meet the require,ments of opening the job to the public as reqd by the state already knowing who they would hire. My rejection letter was sent the same day as the interview though my interview was in the late afternoon.

Interview Questions

• How are your skills different then the other candidates?   Answer Question

Workforce Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at State of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2010.

Interview

All applications must be completed in full, or they will not pass the application phase.

Answers to questions must be full of detail, and, if applicable, should include at least one example of your expertise or qualification.

All regions and departments within DWS are different. For work in DWS offices dealing with the public, questions in the interview will include situations in which you will need to show your aptitude and ability to react to problems, thereby creating a solution and positive outcome.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when there was an emergency at work.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase.