State of Washington

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

3.1

HRCA2 Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at State of Washington in August 2014.

It was a phone interview for about 35 minutes with standard interview questions including 2 practical questions on collective bargaining agreement ( skill tests) Still waiting for callback if any, so right now i keep my fingers crossed

Interview Questions
    • What is your strength, and a scenario where you will deal with negative coworker?   View Answer

Env Eng III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at State of Washington.

I was asked several elated questions about this job as well as some behavior related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Specific job related questions were hard to ans if you were not working in that particular field.   Answer Question

Financial Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at State of Washington in August 2013.

Completed an application online and was called about a month later to come to the work site for an exam. We were given 2 to 3 hours to finish a multiple choice test on comprehension and simple financial calculations. I received a letter requesting I call and set up an interview during a time over the next two weeks. I was requested to bring in three references. I interviewed with 3 DSHS employees. They took turns asking standardized questions and all took notes on my replies. I felt I didn't say enough and finished the interview in less than 30 minutes. I didn't hear anything for 2 or 3 weeks and expected I was rejected, then I got a call back offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but I always have trouble elaborating on three of my strongest characteristics.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take it or leave it because they had many more qualified people to fill a few openings.

Economic Analyst Interview

One interview

Interview Questions
    There was little negotiation, Government salaries start in a limited range

Licensing Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at State of Washington.

Phone contact to schedule interview. Only one interview required; interviewed simultaneously with 2 supervisors. Questions were a lot customer serviced based "What would you do in this situation" questions. Some about how you handle change/new directives as legislation is always changing. Easy typing test where you write about why you are the best candidate for the job. Best part: no crazy behavior based questions using STAR approach!

No negotiation.

Social Worker III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State of Washington in September 2012.

I applied online. The process was VERY fast (the Everett office is desperate). I applied on a Wednesday, they called me Friday and I was offered a job on the following Wednesday. My interview was conducted over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any of the questions, they were just basic Child Welfare questions about Safety and Risk.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. Government agencies will do as they wish.

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at State of Washington in March 2012.

It looks like they outsources their out reach for new employees to some Indian company(s). They have no idea about the process. They just called in and said to attend an interview without much details. I looked up online and was interested about the company. I waited their almost for 5 hours wasting all of my weekend(it was a Saturday interview). After 4 hours they came and told couple of senior folks like me that they dont have senior people to evaluate so please leave now and we'll talk later.

Very unprofessional staff and they are having some spiced rice or something on the front desk like a Chinese restaurant. I cant believe they are operating so many projects. I can see the folks over there are smart and intelligent but there is no respect for others in general.

NA

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State of Washington in February 2012.

Submitted application/resume and interviewed over the phone. Was told I was one of the top candidates. Interviewer called me back when I was out of town on business and asked me to come in same day. I reminded her I would love to come in that day, but I was out of town. I had previously told her I would be out of town at that time. She seemed upset and called me a few days later stating she gave the job to someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about a certification I did not have that was not part of the requirements of the job   Answer Question

Lottery Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Federal Way, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Federal Way, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at State of Washington in November 2010.

Consisted of challenge type interviews with difficult scenarios

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in this situation? I was then confronted with a very negative "customer" with which I was supposed to close a sale.   View Answer

WSS 6 Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennewick, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennewick, WA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at State of Washington in July 2010.

Applied online and received an email from HR indicating that my application materials would be forwarded to the hiring manager. Received an email invitation to participate in the panel interview. I accepted the time and date for the interview and attended the interview. To my surprise the interview consisted of myself and 4 more candidates. Across from us were the interview panel of 4 current employees including the hiring manager. Each panel member asked us a couple of questions, one at a time of course. For example, I was asked the first question by the first panel member, then the person next to me was asked the same question by the same panel member, then the person next to him was asked the same question, and so on, until we all answered the question from that panel member. Then the next panel member would ask us a question, and each of us would be given an opportunity to answer the question. We were all asked the same questions, and answered them, all in front of each other.

The interviewees were all college graduate and were already working for the government in one division or another. I was the only one who never worked for the government. The panel members graded our responses and made a selection as a group. Needless to say, I never did get a government position, although I interviewed more times than I care to admit. Shame on them. Someone seeking a promotional opportunity would always get the offer. I have worked for unionized employers and most of the time they do hire from within. And I thought I had a chance, but was wrong.

I even drove more than 200 miles outside of my area just to interview for positions.