State of Washington

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager
Olympia, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State of Washington in February 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application/resume and interviewed over the phone. Was told I was one of the top candidates. Interviewer called me back when I was out of town on business and asked me to come in same day. I reminded her I would love to come in that day, but I was out of town. I had previously told her I would be out of town at that time. She seemed upset and called me a few days later stating she gave the job to someone else.

Interview Question – Asked about a certification I did not have that was not part of the requirements of the job   Answer Question

Env Eng III Interview

Env Eng III

I applied online and interviewed at State of Washington.

Interview Details – I was asked several elated questions about this job as well as some behavior related questions.

Interview Question – Specific job related questions were hard to ans if you were not working in that particular field.   Answer Question

Financial Service Specialist Interview

Financial Service Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at State of Washington in August 2013.

Interview Details – Completed an application online and was called about a month later to come to the work site for an exam. We were given 2 to 3 hours to finish a multiple choice test on comprehension and simple financial calculations. I received a letter requesting I call and set up an interview during a time over the next two weeks. I was requested to bring in three references. I interviewed with 3 DSHS employees. They took turns asking standardized questions and all took notes on my replies. I felt I didn't say enough and finished the interview in less than 30 minutes. I didn't hear anything for 2 or 3 weeks and expected I was rejected, then I got a call back offering me the job.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, but I always have trouble elaborating on three of my strongest characteristics.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it because they had many more qualified people to fill a few openings.

Social Worker III Interview

Social Worker III
Everett, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at State of Washington in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. The process was VERY fast (the Everett office is desperate). I applied on a Wednesday, they called me Friday and I was offered a job on the following Wednesday. My interview was conducted over the phone.

Interview Question – I don't remember any of the questions, they were just basic Child Welfare questions about Safety and Risk.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation. Government agencies will do as they wish.

Economic Analyst Interview

Economic Analyst

Interviewed at State of Washington

Interview Details – One interview

Interview Question – Riddle involving probability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little negotiation, Government salaries start in a limited range

Licensing Services Representative Interview

Licensing Services Representative
Kent, WA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at State of Washington.

Interview Details – Phone contact to schedule interview. Only one interview required; interviewed simultaneously with 2 supervisors. Questions were a lot customer serviced based "What would you do in this situation" questions. Some about how you handle change/new directives as legislation is always changing. Easy typing test where you write about why you are the best candidate for the job. Best part: no crazy behavior based questions using STAR approach!

Interview Question – None-it was all really straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Reporting Analyst Interview

Reporting Analyst
Olympia, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Washington in January 2009.

Interview Details – Posted resume on Dice as I was ready to leave my current employer (large company with financial problems) rather than wait for the axe to come. Got a call from recruiter about reporting analyst position for one of the state of washington agencies. Went day earlier to get a good night sleep (4 hours drive from my place), never expecting to get a job for US government (I'm a Canadian emigrant from Poland).

Interview Question – The questions were more about your personality, whether or not you'll fit in with the culture and the people than about your technical skills. I think the most difficult one was "what for is the shared variable used for in Crystal Reports"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The hourly salary was generous, I was a bit afraid to quit my job for a 6 months contract, but at the end I would've made the same amount of money with spare 6 months to find another contract, so I went for it. Plus there was a possibility of extension.

Program Director Interview

Program Director
Olympia, WA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at State of Washington in February 2010.

Interview Details – Slow process, many interviews, slow to respond from employer

Interview Question – Why do you want to move to Olympia?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Olympia, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at State of Washington in March 2008.

Interview Details – There was a communication error on their part as to the actual day of the interview. I drove across the state from school, but ultimately it was not an issue. We had several 1:1 interviews with individual staff members that culminated at lunch with the manager. The people were very organized and thoughtful! I enjoyed the experience despite not receiving an offer. I definitely learned some things as this was my first interview after leaving college.

Interview Question – What experiences have prepared you for this internship?   View Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Technical Architect
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at State of Washington in March 2012.

Interview Details – It looks like they outsources their out reach for new employees to some Indian company(s). They have no idea about the process. They just called in and said to attend an interview without much details. I looked up online and was interested about the company. I waited their almost for 5 hours wasting all of my weekend(it was a Saturday interview). After 4 hours they came and told couple of senior folks like me that they dont have senior people to evaluate so please leave now and we'll talk later.

Very unprofessional staff and they are having some spiced rice or something on the front desk like a Chinese restaurant. I cant believe they are operating so many projects. I can see the folks over there are smart and intelligent but there is no respect for others in general.

Reason for Declining – NA

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for State of Washington? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Washington interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by State of Washington employees and interview candidates.