State of Washington Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2014
14 interviews

3.1

HRCA2 Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at State of Washington in August 2014.

It was a phone interview for about 35 minutes with standard interview questions including 2 practical questions on collective bargaining agreement ( skill tests) Still waiting for callback if any, so right now i keep my fingers crossed

Interview Questions
    • What is your strength, and a scenario where you will deal with negative coworker?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State of Washington in February 2012.

Submitted application/resume and interviewed over the phone. Was told I was one of the top candidates. Interviewer called me back when I was out of town on business and asked me to come in same day. I reminded her I would love to come in that day, but I was out of town. I had previously told her I would be out of town at that time. She seemed upset and called me a few days later stating she gave the job to someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about a certification I did not have that was not part of the requirements of the job   Answer Question

Env Eng III Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at State of Washington.

I was asked several elated questions about this job as well as some behavior related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Specific job related questions were hard to ans if you were not working in that particular field.   Answer Question

Financial Service Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State of Washington in August 2013.

Completed an application online and was called about a month later to come to the work site for an exam. We were given 2 to 3 hours to finish a multiple choice test on comprehension and simple financial calculations. I received a letter requesting I call and set up an interview during a time over the next two weeks. I was requested to bring in three references. I interviewed with 3 DSHS employees. They took turns asking standardized questions and all took notes on my replies. I felt I didn't say enough and finished the interview in less than 30 minutes. I didn't hear anything for 2 or 3 weeks and expected I was rejected, then I got a call back offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but I always have trouble elaborating on three of my strongest characteristics.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, take it or leave it because they had many more qualified people to fill a few openings.

Social Worker III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at State of Washington in September 2012.

I applied online. The process was VERY fast (the Everett office is desperate). I applied on a Wednesday, they called me Friday and I was offered a job on the following Wednesday. My interview was conducted over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any of the questions, they were just basic Child Welfare questions about Safety and Risk.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. Government agencies will do as they wish.

Economic Analyst Interview

One interview

Interview Questions
    There was little negotiation, Government salaries start in a limited range

Licensing Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at State of Washington.

Phone contact to schedule interview. Only one interview required; interviewed simultaneously with 2 supervisors. Questions were a lot customer serviced based "What would you do in this situation" questions. Some about how you handle change/new directives as legislation is always changing. Easy typing test where you write about why you are the best candidate for the job. Best part: no crazy behavior based questions using STAR approach!

No negotiation.

Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olympia, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at State of Washington in January 2009.

Posted resume on Dice as I was ready to leave my current employer (large company with financial problems) rather than wait for the axe to come. Got a call from recruiter about reporting analyst position for one of the state of washington agencies. Went day earlier to get a good night sleep (4 hours drive from my place), never expecting to get a job for US government (I'm a Canadian emigrant from Poland).

Interview Questions
    • The questions were more about your personality, whether or not you'll fit in with the culture and the people than about your technical skills. I think the most difficult one was "what for is the shared variable used for in Crystal Reports"   View Answer
    The hourly salary was generous, I was a bit afraid to quit my job for a 6 months contract, but at the end I would've made the same amount of money with spare 6 months to find another contract, so I went for it. Plus there was a possibility of extension.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at State of Washington in February 2010.

Slow process, many interviews, slow to respond from employer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Washington in March 2008.

There was a communication error on their part as to the actual day of the interview. I drove across the state from school, but ultimately it was not an issue. We had several 1:1 interviews with individual staff members that culminated at lunch with the manager. The people were very organized and thoughtful! I enjoyed the experience despite not receiving an offer. I definitely learned some things as this was my first interview after leaving college.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences have prepared you for this internship?   View Answer

Worked for State of Washington? Contribute to the Community!