State of Wisconsin Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.2

Financial Specialist - V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State of Wisconsin.

Applied online through the state of Wisconsin's job center website. Had to complete an exam with three questions centered around my experience and skills that made me a good fit for the position. There was a three person panel that conducted my interview consisting of the director, the lead accountant, and a representative from the HR department. The interview itself was very short (only about 45 minutes). They offerred me the position a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions mostly came from my resume as well as some of the more common behavioral questions: describe a time you had to work in a team that was dysfunctional, how do you see your career path unfolding,   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation because the wage rates are set by the legislature.

Employment & Training Specialist Interview

3 questions for 30 minutes

Consumer Protection Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in January 2012.

Only state agency that doesn't allow you to review the questions prior to the interview. Panel consisted of Director, immediate supervisor, and legal team member that had no prior knowledge of the position. Application was submitted in November and invite for interview came in January. After interview it only took about 10 days for job offer.

salary range is nonnegotiable

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in April 2011.

Good interview process. No surprises, got to the issues that are critical for the job.

Financial Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in May 2010.

The State of Wisconsin is now using an outside vendor to administer filtering tests to identify qualified candidates. Only by passing this test may you be considered for an interview. All interviews are panel interviews with a minimum of three ranking personnel. Having applied and interviewed for several State of Wisconsin positions, I have found that none of the panels have reviewed my resume prior to the interview. Each interview consisted of the panel taking turns reading prepared questions to the candidate. Several divisions clearly demonstrate an atmosphere of defeatism and fear of the ranking director. Appearances were of extreme importance.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: How would you deal with an irate bank president who is blocking access to information or disagrees with your findings.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in November 2009.

Found open position on the Wisconsin Jobs website. Took Civil Service Examine, Received Telephone interview. Was brought in for a Panel interview. Second interview with The Director and his immediate Staff. Gave authorization to have my criminal background checked. Received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The current state of our inventory dollars are to high. How would you address, what plan could you put into place to reduce the inventory holdings without effecting the ability to service our customers.   View Answer
    • All of our customers are demanding, two such customers need something right away, how can you satisfy both when you have limited resources.   View Answer
    State Salary range is Public Information. Was able to be hired above mid point based upon my previous experience. Depending upon the applicants immediate need be realistic of conditions. Bad economic time, length of time out of work, and the existence of new competition entering the job market daily.

Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in March 2009.

It's a panel interview with 3 other people. Structured questions. Got a call for a second interview about 2 weeks later, then got offered the job. The civil service process takes lots of patience, but worth it if you get the job.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just general, what would you do in this situation type questions.   Answer Question

Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at State of Wisconsin in February 2008.

Online application, test and personal interview. Got a call after applying and taking the written multiple choice test. Interviewed with two supervisors and an employee. Asked about why I wanted the job, what I could contribute, how I would deal with a difficult or upset person and if I liked working alone or in a group.

No negotiation

Regional Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at State of Wisconsin.

From submitting your resume to getting hired can take several months so you need to be patient while going through the process. You will be interviewed by a panel and you should be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge and skills by giving concrete and detailed answers to the interview questions. They want to know that you have critical thunking skills and can make difficult decisions when required.

Interview Questions
    Not alot of room to negotiate. Was able to get several thousand dollars more in salary than they originally offered.

Worked for State of Wisconsin? Contribute to the Community!