Steak n Shake

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oakwood, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Interview Details – after applying to position listed,received a phone call for an initial interview approximately one week later.Upon completion of said phone interview,was asked to come in for a face to face interview,to which I drove almost 50 miles to attend.The interview went very well(District Managers words-not mine),at which time he then asked if I would be available to meet or talk to one of the owners;which I gladly agreed to do(and which never happened)Why do people go thru the motions and string candidates along(and in my opinion-lie to them) with no intention of following thru.

Interview Question – None really-after all my years of experience-have basically heard them all.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – I completed an online application, including attaching a resume. Regular application including a personality test. Received a phone call about an interview two weeks after filing. The interviewers were very pleasant, really felt like a chat, but very professional. I was applying for assistant manager, but was offered an hourly position. However the interviewers were very positive and talked about the many chances for growth,

Interview Question – There wasn't anything unexpected or difficult, mainly questions about experience.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2010.

Interview Details – I went in for an interview as a "career fair" type of thing for managers. They liked me and were impressed with my experience and told me that HR would be in contact with me to let me know when they were gonna set me up for a job shadow of the training stores GM. I got a call in a few days and was set up for a job shadow for the next day. Went in and it was really easy and they really liked me and said they would be in touch. I got an email from HR detailing my new job offer and compensation package the next day and they said they would be in contact with me in a few days after my background check came back. I never heard from them again so I don't know what went wrong.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Ashtabula, OH

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2009.

Interview Details – First it started with a phone interview. After phone interview I was asked to me the head of Human resources. That went fairly easy. Basic questions. I was than asked to meet the district manager with the head of Human resources. This interview was very long. It consumed of a personality test, math quiz, and IQ test, also drilled with a lot of other questions. After satisfying them with my answers I was scheduled for another interview with the Regional manager, District manager and the head of Human resources. This whole proccess took about 25 days. I did get the position.

Interview Question – If there is anything you could change in your life what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in May 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online. One week later received a call from HR asking to set up face to face interview with district manager. Had interview one week later. Overall went pretty well, no particularly difficult questions. After about an hour the manager said that I would get a call from HR to set up a job preview. The next week HR called and had me do a preview at a local store the next day.

The preview involved shadowing employees, helping customers and getting a general feel from the job. Received positive feedback and the manager of the store said she expected to see me back soon. Received an email from HR saying they had gone with "other candidates" with no other explanation as to why I did not receive the job. Frustrating experience simply by the fact that all the feedback received was positive and at both the 1:1 interview and preview the managers spoke as if I already had the job.

Interview Question – What are some of the things you've seen restaurant managers do in the past and how do you think those actions fit with the job description.   Answer Question

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!