Steak n Shake

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Steak n Shake.

The process only took a couple of weeks. The interview focused more on what I wanted to do with my future since it was only a part-time job. We also discussed how working as a server could benefit my future professional and academic career. They were mainly making sure I had the ability to communicate and would be able to perform a job such as serving.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions involved how I would handle different scenarios with customers, coworkers, etc.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

I applied online and I got a call back the next day to come in for an interview. The manager told me that if I wanted to work for them that I had to change my hair color. Got a call back two weeks later for a second interview, in that interview she told me that she lost my paperwork or she would have hired me sooner. She offered me a fountain operator position, and I accepted. I called for the next whole week to try to figure out when I needed to come in, finally was told to come in the next day. No training at all. You're basically on your own.

No training.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2014.

I applied on snag a jobs. Then I went up there on tuesday and met one of the mangers and told her I was checking on my application and she said come Thursday at 5 so Bryan our hiring manger can interview you. So I did. And waited 2 hours for Bryan he never showed up. He got stuck in traffic they said. And told me to come back the following Thursday so I did and I waited 45 mins for him to arrive and saw him interact with customers. Then he asked my name and sat me at a table in the back. And asked me questions about myself nothing to hard though. Then he said you're 16 have little experience but neither did I when I started working here at that age so I'm going to give you a chance. He started telling me about himself and making jokes. Had me sign papers and told me the policies and that I need to purchase my own uniform and that orientation is Monday. And today is Saturday and I'm excited to start. I'm going to Walmart to get my uniform tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Why steak n shake? Why not McDonald's or taco bell? Why here?   View Answer
    • Why do you need the money?   View Answer

Fountain Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Applied on Snagajob.com and was called the next day to come and fill out an application. I was interviewed a few days later. My interview was hardly an interview. I was asked about my previous job then was told the duties of the job I applied for and got a tour of the restaurant. I was given a day that I had to go to an orientation (about 2 weeks after my interview)that took about 4-5 hours when it was only suppose to take 2. We waited just about 2 hours for a couple people who were late. Seriously?...Anyways, after the orientation I was told to come in on a specific day to start my training.

Run.

Fountain Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenfield, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenfield, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2014.

I was not called by Steak 'n Shake I had to call this particular one to even get an interview but they scheduled one right on the spot. The interview process was pretty drawn out. I did have purple hair at the time and they made me dye it as most places would I'm sure. It was a very detailed interview process. There were three booklets and a lot was explained and once you're hired you have to train for two weeks which is actually really great because it gives you a chance to really get a feel for your station. I like the job and I enjoyed how thorough they were with letting you know how things were ran. I would recommend working at Steak 'n Shake for someone still in school.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation phase.

Fryer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2014.

The interview process was easy. Got a call back within the hour after I had applied. Went in the next day sat and talked to the manager and everyone was really friendly. Loved the enthusiasm.

Waitress Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

The manager had me wait for a while. Since I went on Snag a Job I had to spend more time filling out a paper application. He asked me five questions 3 regular questions: tell me about yourself, interests, why do you want to work here etc. It was done quickly and said they'll call after more interviews

Interview Questions
    • What does an average day for you look like
      What is your idea of an ideal boss

Answer Question

Offered cook position instead of server

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

Initially applied on Snag-A-Job in late May, right after school let out, along with basically every other opening shown on Snag-A-Job that i could apply for, didn't hear back from anyone for about a month, I guess all the smart summer job kids applied early spring semester to secure their jobs. Got a call mid July saying that my application looked good and could I come in the next morning for an interview? So I went in the next morning at like 8AM for my interview, waited a bit for the manager to be done with the guy interviewing, then sat down at a table in the corner with the manager. The whole franchise is pretty much about being as family friendly and peppy as possible, so it definitely pays to put your absolute best forward. Cheerful and polite, and making a definite effort to show interest in your interviewer. There's a standard questionnaire they have to fill out, with generic questions about your work history, former working experiences, when you can work, etc and they write down a summary of your answer and give a 1-3 rating beside each one. I made sure to ask my interviewer about her experiences at Steak N Shake, how long had she been working with them, what was her favorite thing about working there, and basically ended up having a heart-to-hearg about her life story and her future goals for the franchise. Wrapped it up with a background check to sign, which I took home for my mom to sign seems I'm still a minor, turned that in first thing next morning, and got a call three days later telling me when my orientation would be.

Interview Questions
    • The one question that tripped me up a bit was the "Why do you want to work at Steak N Shake?" because in my interviewing-anxiety-state the only thing that popped into my blank mind was "I need money" which, while brutally honest, is definitely NOT what a future employer wants to hear.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2014.

I walked in one day and asked for an application to the lady working the cash register. She gave it to me and told me to come back in two days at 4 o'clock and turn it in (that was when the manager would be there). I came back and he told me he would be interviewing people next week on a Tuesday. I came in and there were about 8 people, all teenagers including myself. We were waiting in a little area, and across the room was the interviewer in one table, and the manager in the other. We would go one by one. When it was my turn, the interviewer asked simple questions. Why would you like to work with us, when are you available, tell us about yourself. Then we had to go to the manager and he told me about the uniform, and to sign a background check, and that he would call me in a couple days for orientation. Unfortunately, the call never came and I called, asking what happened. I qualified, but they did not have any spots available at the moment. I was so upset.

Interview Questions
    • they were all easy, so probably "tell us about yourself"   Answer Question

Cashier/Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in May 2014.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a new store opening in the Biloxi area. Applied via email with a resume. I received a call two days later. Went to the interview on a Saturday. I was hired on the spot. Interview questions very simple.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. Most people have a problem with the one question almost every employer ask. "What makes you a good candidate for our company?   View Answer