Steak n Shake Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.0

Food Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

I walked in, asked for an application and was immediately asked to be "interviewed". It wasn't even an interview. The manager and I sat at a table and talked so he could see if I was competent and personable. I was told there would be a background check and then I would attend training. My store was so disorganized I had to call every day for a few weeks until someone finally submitted my papers and officially got me training. Later, after working there for a year, my manager told me he only hires pretty girls...gross.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for a job here? What are you looking for in a workplace?   Answer Question

Fountain Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was pretty much easy. I just be cool , calm. its nothing to get the job. I put in the application at 8:30pm got a call around 12 noon the next day. Interview a day later . job the same day and work the next week . just dress causal,no visible tattoos , n no jeans

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Tampa, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

The pre-interview interview was great. The manager was very nice, and invited me back for a full interview. She hinted that she wants me to work for her. My next interview is Thursday. I will update after.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

The process only took a couple of weeks. The interview focused more on what I wanted to do with my future since it was only a part-time job. We also discussed how working as a server could benefit my future professional and academic career. They were mainly making sure I had the ability to communicate and would be able to perform a job such as serving.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions involved how I would handle different scenarios with customers, coworkers, etc.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

I applied online and I got a call back the next day to come in for an interview. The manager told me that if I wanted to work for them that I had to change my hair color. Got a call back two weeks later for a second interview, in that interview she told me that she lost my paperwork or she would have hired me sooner. She offered me a fountain operator position, and I accepted. I called for the next whole week to try to figure out when I needed to come in, finally was told to come in the next day. No training at all. You're basically on your own.

No training.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake (Tampa Palms, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied on snag a jobs. Then I went up there on tuesday and met one of the mangers and told her I was checking on my application and she said come Thursday at 5 so Bryan our hiring manger can interview you. So I did. And waited 2 hours for Bryan he never showed up. He got stuck in traffic they said. And told me to come back the following Thursday so I did and I waited 45 mins for him to arrive and saw him interact with customers. Then he asked my name and sat me at a table in the back. And asked me questions about myself nothing to hard though. Then he said you're 16 have little experience but neither did I when I started working here at that age so I'm going to give you a chance. He started telling me about himself and making jokes. Had me sign papers and told me the policies and that I need to purchase my own uniform and that orientation is Monday. And today is Saturday and I'm excited to start. I'm going to Walmart to get my uniform tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• Why steak n shake? Why not McDonald's or taco bell? Why here?   1 Answer
    • Why do you need the money?   1 Answer

Fountain Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview

Applied on Snagajob.com and was called the next day to come and fill out an application. I was interviewed a few days later. My interview was hardly an interview. I was asked about my previous job then was told the duties of the job I applied for and got a tour of the restaurant. I was given a day that I had to go to an orientation (about 2 weeks after my interview)that took about 4-5 hours when it was only suppose to take 2. We waited just about 2 hours for a couple people who were late. Seriously?...Anyways, after the orientation I was told to come in on a specific day to start my training.

Negotiation

Run.

Fountain Operator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake (Greenfield, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

I was not called by Steak 'n Shake I had to call this particular one to even get an interview but they scheduled one right on the spot. The interview process was pretty drawn out. I did have purple hair at the time and they made me dye it as most places would I'm sure. It was a very detailed interview process. There were three booklets and a lot was explained and once you're hired you have to train for two weeks which is actually really great because it gives you a chance to really get a feel for your station. I like the job and I enjoyed how thorough they were with letting you know how things were ran. I would recommend working at Steak 'n Shake for someone still in school.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase.

Fryer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake (Tyler, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was easy. Got a call back within the hour after I had applied. Went in the next day sat and talked to the manager and everyone was really friendly. Loved the enthusiasm.

Waitress Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

Interview

The manager had me wait for a while. Since I went on Snag a Job I had to spend more time filling out a paper application. He asked me five questions 3 regular questions: tell me about yourself, interests, why do you want to work here etc. It was done quickly and said they'll call after more interviews

Interview Questions

• What does an average day for you look like
      What is your idea of an ideal boss

Answer Question

Offered cook position instead of server