Steak n Shake Interview Questions

2.2

Fryer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tyler, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2014.

The interview process was easy. Got a call back within the hour after I had applied. Went in the next day sat and talked to the manager and everyone was really friendly. Loved the enthusiasm.

Food Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2010.

Turned in application in person, recieved call to come in for interview. Wore khakis and nice t-shirt. Asked a few questions about availability, why I would like to work at Steak N' Shake and if they thought I could handle the job. I did not have any other work experience at the time (I was 16)

Interview Questions
    • I do not beleive there was any outlandish questions, I think they were more evaluating my ability to communicate, smile, and show up to the interview dresses appropriately.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Face to face interview with District Manager, Phone Interview with Recruiter, 4-hr Job Shadow, Interview with Division President, Drug Test, Background Check. The whole process took 1 week. The background check took a little longer because I liked in a couple of different cities.

Interview Questions
    • Just the standard interview questions from an interview guide. Very laid back interview.   Answer Question
    The pay was better than what I expected. They do pay well for experience. He made sure that pay was okay for me so I am sure you could negotiate.

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

Initially applied on Snag-A-Job in late May, right after school let out, along with basically every other opening shown on Snag-A-Job that i could apply for, didn't hear back from anyone for about a month, I guess all the smart summer job kids applied early spring semester to secure their jobs. Got a call mid July saying that my application looked good and could I come in the next morning for an interview? So I went in the next morning at like 8AM for my interview, waited a bit for the manager to be done with the guy interviewing, then sat down at a table in the corner with the manager. The whole franchise is pretty much about being as family friendly and peppy as possible, so it definitely pays to put your absolute best forward. Cheerful and polite, and making a definite effort to show interest in your interviewer. There's a standard questionnaire they have to fill out, with generic questions about your work history, former working experiences, when you can work, etc and they write down a summary of your answer and give a 1-3 rating beside each one. I made sure to ask my interviewer about her experiences at Steak N Shake, how long had she been working with them, what was her favorite thing about working there, and basically ended up having a heart-to-hearg about her life story and her future goals for the franchise. Wrapped it up with a background check to sign, which I took home for my mom to sign seems I'm still a minor, turned that in first thing next morning, and got a call three days later telling me when my orientation would be.

Interview Questions
    • The one question that tripped me up a bit was the "Why do you want to work at Steak N Shake?" because in my interviewing-anxiety-state the only thing that popped into my blank mind was "I need money" which, while brutally honest, is definitely NOT what a future employer wants to hear.   View Answer

Cook Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

Easy interview setting. Brought in as a group and then interviewed independently. Asked questions about availability work . Had to wait a while for the Manager to get to you to interview. If hired, must purchase black pants, shoes and button down colored shirt.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Job geered towards kids and students. Basic questions concerning prior work history and availability. Easier to get in if you can work early morning or overnight   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2014.

I walked in one day and asked for an application to the lady working the cash register. She gave it to me and told me to come back in two days at 4 o'clock and turn it in (that was when the manager would be there). I came back and he told me he would be interviewing people next week on a Tuesday. I came in and there were about 8 people, all teenagers including myself. We were waiting in a little area, and across the room was the interviewer in one table, and the manager in the other. We would go one by one. When it was my turn, the interviewer asked simple questions. Why would you like to work with us, when are you available, tell us about yourself. Then we had to go to the manager and he told me about the uniform, and to sign a background check, and that he would call me in a couple days for orientation. Unfortunately, the call never came and I called, asking what happened. I qualified, but they did not have any spots available at the moment. I was so upset.

Interview Questions
    • they were all easy, so probably "tell us about yourself"   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

The manager had me wait for a while. Since I went on Snag a Job I had to spend more time filling out a paper application. He asked me five questions 3 regular questions: tell me about yourself, interests, why do you want to work here etc. It was done quickly and said they'll call after more interviews

Interview Questions
    • What does an average day for you look like
      What is your idea of an ideal boss
        Answer Question

Offered cook position instead of server

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

All I did was come in and talk to some of the workers there and they said they needed people there. I kind of talked myself up, filled out an application, and got an interview a week later. I interviewed with an assistant and general manager. They contacted me a MONTH later because they were forgetful.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about your experience and the type of person you are. They didn't ask you for anything too complicated.   Answer Question

Grill Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clearwater, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

2 interviews one with GM one with kitchen manager, orientation with district manager flew through everthing didn't really answer questions on papers like you should have just had us as a group check each one.

Interview Questions
    my pay i needed at least 10/hr but they could only give me 9/hr.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakwood, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

In order to get an application, you have to go into the Steak n Shake you want to apply for, and talk to either the hostess or a manager. The application was very easy, no hard questions at all, and just the very basics of your information. I could tell almost immediately that it would be a high-stress and fast-paced environment; nearly all the workers seemed stressed and agitated.

Interview Questions
    • Perhaps the most difficult question was about what two qualities you find the most important in an employer.   View Answer
    I filled out an application, handed it to a manager, and after waiting a few minutes, they came out and offered me the job.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!