Steak n Shake

Relevance Date Difficulty

Grill Cook Interview

Grill Cook
Clearwater, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 interviews one with GM one with kitchen manager, orientation with district manager flew through everthing didn't really answer questions on papers like you should have just had us as a group check each one.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – my pay i needed at least 10/hr but they could only give me 9/hr.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Drive-Thru Operator
Oakwood, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Interview Details – In order to get an application, you have to go into the Steak n Shake you want to apply for, and talk to either the hostess or a manager. The application was very easy, no hard questions at all, and just the very basics of your information. I could tell almost immediately that it would be a high-stress and fast-paced environment; nearly all the workers seemed stressed and agitated.

Interview Question – Perhaps the most difficult question was about what two qualities you find the most important in an employer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I filled out an application, handed it to a manager, and after waiting a few minutes, they came out and offered me the job.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Drive-Thru Operator
Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2014.

Interview Details – wasn't all that great my application was even lost and i had to call back or i probably never would have been hired. This is a very poor way of keeping things together honestly had me wondering if i really wonted to work there.

Interview Question – what makes you the best for this job?   Answer Question

Server/Trainer Interview

Server/Trainer
Bloomington, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and the manager was very friendly but maybe a little too much so. The servers behind the service station at the time were all glaring at me as if i wasn't welcome.

Interview Questions

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call to set up an in person interview. The interview went well and I was asked to go and observe operations the next day. After a background check I was hired. Process took 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Mostly basic stuff about my past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $45,000 and I accepted.

Cashier/Server Interview

Cashier/Server
Biloxi, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in May 2014.

Interview Details – I saw an ad on Craigslist for a new store opening in the Biloxi area. Applied via email with a resume. I received a call two days later. Went to the interview on a Saturday. I was hired on the spot. Interview questions very simple.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular. Most people have a problem with the one question almost every employer ask. "What makes you a good candidate for our company?   View Answer

Server Interview

Server
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went in with my friend to turn in there application, watched the manager take over the application with him and said" I will send it to the big boss".

So i like 'oh what the heck' to myself. So I asked for an application, my friend left me there, I filled it out in front of the managers face, handed it to him, he interviewed me right on the spot and was very impressed! So then he like " hold on a few minutes, let me go ask the other manager when he will be back in next". Then one of the cooks came up to me all shy and said"soo, you interested in a job here, ........., oh' your lucky, he's the mean one and we have 3 bosses" "he likes you(the manager)".

Then the manager came back out and said " can you be here tomorrow at 4:00PM, arrive at 3:30PM tho.

Then i came in the next day, 3:29PM and waited till around 4, 4:15 and Met the other manager, " he said I came HIGHLY Recommened by the first boss, and he must of really liked you to give you a second interview"

I will give you a call tomorrow after I hear back from the other manager.

Interview Question – Average normal questions: 1. Do you consider yourself a people person?
                                                  2. Tell me more about yourself?
                                                  3. What do you like to do in your free time?
                                                  4. How would you handle this situation? "........................................"
                                                  5. What makes you think your good enough for this job?
                                                  6. Think you can handle it?
                                                  7. This is a high energy, demanding, job. are you reliable?
                                                  8.Do you have any serving experience?
                                                  9. Customers always right. How would you keep there orders right?
                                                 10. Why apply to work here? why Steak-N-Shake?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, had multiple interviews, slow process.

Interview Question – Describe your car.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Low-balled, very low offer.

Waiter Interview

Waiter
Arnold, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application, received a call for an interview and then was asked for a second interview with the general manager. Was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – All questions were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate.

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

Interview Details – Basic Questions for a young person. Alot of minors and first time jobs.

Interview Question – You will just be asked what the most important part of hospitality is to you. what does it mean to you? be ready to answer that with focus on the guest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Our ride or the highway.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees and interview candidates.