Steak n Shake

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

Service Trainer Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2009.

I applied three times and called many times after and only finelyl got a call back because i knew three of the workers there and one hires waitresses. she got me a job itnerview abotu a week later and i went and didnt do very well. the questions were very complicated and had to be answered with stories of experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to drop your responsibilities to help soemone else?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashtabula, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashtabula, OH

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2009.

First it started with a phone interview. After phone interview I was asked to me the head of Human resources. That went fairly easy. Basic questions. I was than asked to meet the district manager with the head of Human resources. This interview was very long. It consumed of a personality test, math quiz, and IQ test, also drilled with a lot of other questions. After satisfying them with my answers I was scheduled for another interview with the Regional manager, District manager and the head of Human resources. This whole proccess took about 25 days. I did get the position.

Interview Questions
    • If there is anything you could change in your life what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Human resources called. Set up a phone interview. Be yourself...if you have been in the food business and are passionate and care about the company you work for....then you know you will be responsible for the entire restaurant....labor, food costs, guest satisfaction, food quality and safety...etc.

Interview Questions
    I let them know what I wanted and was given what I asked for. This company needs AMAZING people. I should have asked for more. If you are a HARD worker that TAKES your JOB SERIOUS....then this is the company to work for....so much room for growth!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Walk in application... was hired instantly... had orientation few days later... began as a server and worked thru ranks of other lower management until I was offered a full salaried position.

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2013.

They were holding open interviews from 8 to 10 on Dec 12 2013. I applied through Snag A job when I get to the store they told me to go sit in the back and the manager will come to me shortly. I waited about 5 minutes. She came and basically explain to me how the interview was going to go a few questions to get to know me. She handed me another application and told me to fill it out and when I was done to call her. I filled it out and called her over she came took the application from me and sat in front of me. She had a clipboard in her hand with a bunch of papers and I guess she had a copy of my snag a job application because she kept referring to it as she asked me the questions?. She asked me for my availability and if I have any commitment that can interfere with the job? can I work in a team? If I would rather build burgers or make shakes? Pretty basic questions. I went in really nervous thinking she was going to ask me hard ball busting questions but she didn't. Then she shook my hand and told me I'll get an email for a second interview in 2 weeks if they're interested. I was confident it went good because of her attitude. 2 weeks passed and I never got a second email.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2013.

Went thru a series of interviews,

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

Basic Questions for a young person. Alot of minors and first time jobs.

Interview Questions
    • You will just be asked what the most important part of hospitality is to you. what does it mean to you? be ready to answer that with focus on the guest.   Answer Question
    Our ride or the highway.

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2012.

Contacted by a recruiter, had multiple interviews, slow process.

Interview Questions
    Low-balled, very low offer.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

I went in with my friend to turn in there application, watched the manager take over the application with him and said" I will send it to the big boss".

So i like 'oh what the heck' to myself. So I asked for an application, my friend left me there, I filled it out in front of the managers face, handed it to him, he interviewed me right on the spot and was very impressed! So then he like " hold on a few minutes, let me go ask the other manager when he will be back in next". Then one of the cooks came up to me all shy and said"soo, you interested in a job here, ........., oh' your lucky, he's the mean one and we have 3 bosses" "he likes you(the manager)".

Then the manager came back out and said " can you be here tomorrow at 4:00PM, arrive at 3:30PM tho.

Then i came in the next day, 3:29PM and waited till around 4, 4:15 and Met the other manager, " he said I came HIGHLY Recommened by the first boss, and he must of really liked you to give you a second interview"

I will give you a call tomorrow after I hear back from the other manager.

Interview Questions
    • Average normal questions: 1. Do you consider yourself a people person?
                                                        2. Tell me more about yourself?
                                                        3. What do you like to do in your free time?
                                                        4. How would you handle this situation? "........................................"
                                                        5. What makes you think your good enough for this job?
                                                        6. Think you can handle it?
                                                        7. This is a high energy, demanding, job. are you reliable?
                                                        8.Do you have any serving experience?
                                                        9. Customers always right. How would you keep there orders right?
                                                       10. Why apply to work here? why Steak-N-Shake?

View Answer