Steak n Shake

45 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Service Trainer Interview

Service Trainer

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2009.

Interview Details – I applied three times and called many times after and only finelyl got a call back because i knew three of the workers there and one hires waitresses. she got me a job itnerview abotu a week later and i went and didnt do very well. the questions were very complicated and had to be answered with stories of experiences.

Interview Question – Have you ever had to drop your responsibilities to help soemone else?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Ashtabula, OH

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2009.

Interview Details – First it started with a phone interview. After phone interview I was asked to me the head of Human resources. That went fairly easy. Basic questions. I was than asked to meet the district manager with the head of Human resources. This interview was very long. It consumed of a personality test, math quiz, and IQ test, also drilled with a lot of other questions. After satisfying them with my answers I was scheduled for another interview with the Regional manager, District manager and the head of Human resources. This whole proccess took about 25 days. I did get the position.

Interview Question – If there is anything you could change in your life what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Server
Lake Mary, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – So I filled an application in and asked for the manager, sat there for about 30 minutes and then the trainer tells me he is to busy at the moment so give it to her to give to him, i didn't wanna give it to her but i did anyway, so a week later i called for the hiring manager. She said that she would look for it and call me later, I didn't get a call so i was worried that the trainer didnt give to to the manager, so i call the other manager and he sets an interview up the next morning. I go in and he said he lost my application and i have to reapply all over again, not only that but he was really rude and seemed very stupid for a manager. He also said I had no expierence for the job when i already worked at a different place for dining.I took in all the critism cause i wanted the job, he then said i would be getting a call later that day which i never got, i never called again because i don't wanna work for an idiot manager who is unresponsible and has no respect

Interview Question – Why did you apply when there's places closer to your house?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Interview Details – Human resources called. Set up a phone interview. Be yourself...if you have been in the food business and are passionate and care about the company you work for....then you know you will be responsible for the entire restaurant....labor, food costs, guest satisfaction, food quality and safety...etc.

Interview Question – Never sure what we have to do to get bonus.....??   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I let them know what I wanted and was given what I asked for. This company needs AMAZING people. I should have asked for more. If you are a HARD worker that TAKES your JOB SERIOUS....then this is the company to work for....so much room for growth!

Manager Interview

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Interview Details – Walk in application... was hired instantly... had orientation few days later... began as a server and worked thru ranks of other lower management until I was offered a full salaried position.

Interview Question – How much do servers make?   View Answer

Crew Member Interview

Crew Member
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2013.

Interview Details – They were holding open interviews from 8 to 10 on Dec 12 2013. I applied through Snag A job when I get to the store they told me to go sit in the back and the manager will come to me shortly. I waited about 5 minutes. She came and basically explain to me how the interview was going to go a few questions to get to know me. She handed me another application and told me to fill it out and when I was done to call her. I filled it out and called her over she came took the application from me and sat in front of me. She had a clipboard in her hand with a bunch of papers and I guess she had a copy of my snag a job application because she kept referring to it as she asked me the questions?. She asked me for my availability and if I have any commitment that can interfere with the job? can I work in a team? If I would rather build burgers or make shakes? Pretty basic questions. I went in really nervous thinking she was going to ask me hard ball busting questions but she didn't. Then she shook my hand and told me I'll get an email for a second interview in 2 weeks if they're interested. I was confident it went good because of her attitude. 2 weeks passed and I never got a second email.

Interview Question – Wasn't really one they were pretty easy.   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2013.

Interview Details – Went thru a series of interviews,

Interview Question – What I liked least about last job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes

General Manager Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

Interview Details – Basic Questions for a young person. Alot of minors and first time jobs.

Interview Question – You will just be asked what the most important part of hospitality is to you. what does it mean to you? be ready to answer that with focus on the guest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Our ride or the highway.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Clarksville, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview then meeting with the DM

Waitress Interview

Waitress

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – Printed out and turned in, got called in for an interview a few weeks later.

Interview Question – How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees and interview candidates.