Steak n Shake

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Average Difficulty
56 candidate interviews

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2014.

Interview Details – I walked in one day and asked for an application to the lady working the cash register. She gave it to me and told me to come back in two days at 4 o'clock and turn it in (that was when the manager would be there). I came back and he told me he would be interviewing people next week on a Tuesday. I came in and there were about 8 people, all teenagers including myself. We were waiting in a little area, and across the room was the interviewer in one table, and the manager in the other. We would go one by one. When it was my turn, the interviewer asked simple questions. Why would you like to work with us, when are you available, tell us about yourself. Then we had to go to the manager and he told me about the uniform, and to sign a background check, and that he would call me in a couple days for orientation. Unfortunately, the call never came and I called, asking what happened. I qualified, but they did not have any spots available at the moment. I was so upset.

Interview Question – they were all easy, so probably "tell us about yourself"   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Waitress

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2014.

Interview Details – The manager had me wait for a while. Since I went on Snag a Job I had to spend more time filling out a paper application. He asked me five questions 3 regular questions: tell me about yourself, interests, why do you want to work here etc. It was done quickly and said they'll call after more interviews

Interview Question – What does an average day for you look like
What is your idea of an ideal boss
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offered cook position instead of server

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

Interview Details – All I did was come in and talk to some of the workers there and they said they needed people there. I kind of talked myself up, filled out an application, and got an interview a week later. I interviewed with an assistant and general manager. They contacted me a MONTH later because they were forgetful.

Interview Question – They ask you about your experience and the type of person you are. They didn't ask you for anything too complicated.   Answer Question

Grill Cook Interview

Grill Cook
Clearwater, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 interviews one with GM one with kitchen manager, orientation with district manager flew through everthing didn't really answer questions on papers like you should have just had us as a group check each one.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – my pay i needed at least 10/hr but they could only give me 9/hr.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Drive-Thru Operator
Oakwood, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Interview Details – In order to get an application, you have to go into the Steak n Shake you want to apply for, and talk to either the hostess or a manager. The application was very easy, no hard questions at all, and just the very basics of your information. I could tell almost immediately that it would be a high-stress and fast-paced environment; nearly all the workers seemed stressed and agitated.

Interview Question – Perhaps the most difficult question was about what two qualities you find the most important in an employer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I filled out an application, handed it to a manager, and after waiting a few minutes, they came out and offered me the job.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Drive-Thru Operator
Springfield, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2014.

Interview Details – wasn't all that great my application was even lost and i had to call back or i probably never would have been hired. This is a very poor way of keeping things together honestly had me wondering if i really wonted to work there.

Interview Question – what makes you the best for this job?   Answer Question

Server/Trainer Interview

Server/Trainer
Bloomington, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview and the manager was very friendly but maybe a little too much so. The servers behind the service station at the time were all glaring at me as if i wasn't welcome.

Interview Questions

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call to set up an in person interview. The interview went well and I was asked to go and observe operations the next day. After a background check I was hired. Process took 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Mostly basic stuff about my past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $45,000 and I accepted.

Cashier/Server Interview

Cashier/Server
Biloxi, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in May 2014.

Interview Details – I saw an ad on Craigslist for a new store opening in the Biloxi area. Applied via email with a resume. I received a call two days later. Went to the interview on a Saturday. I was hired on the spot. Interview questions very simple.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular. Most people have a problem with the one question almost every employer ask. "What makes you a good candidate for our company?   View Answer

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went in with my friend to turn in there application, watched the manager take over the application with him and said" I will send it to the big boss".

So i like 'oh what the heck' to myself. So I asked for an application, my friend left me there, I filled it out in front of the managers face, handed it to him, he interviewed me right on the spot and was very impressed! So then he like " hold on a few minutes, let me go ask the other manager when he will be back in next". Then one of the cooks came up to me all shy and said"soo, you interested in a job here, ........., oh' your lucky, he's the mean one and we have 3 bosses" "he likes you(the manager)".

Then the manager came back out and said " can you be here tomorrow at 4:00PM, arrive at 3:30PM tho.

Then i came in the next day, 3:29PM and waited till around 4, 4:15 and Met the other manager, " he said I came HIGHLY Recommened by the first boss, and he must of really liked you to give you a second interview"

I will give you a call tomorrow after I hear back from the other manager.

Interview Question – Average normal questions: 1. Do you consider yourself a people person?
                                                  2. Tell me more about yourself?
                                                  3. What do you like to do in your free time?
                                                  4. How would you handle this situation? "........................................"
                                                  5. What makes you think your good enough for this job?
                                                  6. Think you can handle it?
                                                  7. This is a high energy, demanding, job. are you reliable?
                                                  8.Do you have any serving experience?
                                                  9. Customers always right. How would you keep there orders right?
                                                 10. Why apply to work here? why Steak-N-Shake?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!