Steak n Shake

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Getting the Interview

46 candidate interviews

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, had multiple interviews, slow process.

Interview Question – Describe your car.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Low-balled, very low offer.

Very Easy Interview

Waiter Interview

Arnold, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in June 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application, received a call for an interview and then was asked for a second interview with the general manager. Was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – All questions were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate.

General Manager Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2010.

Interview Details – Basic Questions for a young person. Alot of minors and first time jobs.

Interview Question – You will just be asked what the most important part of hospitality is to you. what does it mean to you? be ready to answer that with focus on the guest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Our ride or the highway.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2013.

Interview Details – Went thru a series of interviews,

Interview Question – What I liked least about last job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes

Crew Member Interview

Crew Member
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2013.

Interview Details – They were holding open interviews from 8 to 10 on Dec 12 2013. I applied through Snag A job when I get to the store they told me to go sit in the back and the manager will come to me shortly. I waited about 5 minutes. She came and basically explain to me how the interview was going to go a few questions to get to know me. She handed me another application and told me to fill it out and when I was done to call her. I filled it out and called her over she came took the application from me and sat in front of me. She had a clipboard in her hand with a bunch of papers and I guess she had a copy of my snag a job application because she kept referring to it as she asked me the questions?. She asked me for my availability and if I have any commitment that can interfere with the job? can I work in a team? If I would rather build burgers or make shakes? Pretty basic questions. I went in really nervous thinking she was going to ask me hard ball busting questions but she didn't. Then she shook my hand and told me I'll get an email for a second interview in 2 weeks if they're interested. I was confident it went good because of her attitude. 2 weeks passed and I never got a second email.

Interview Question – Wasn't really one they were pretty easy.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Server

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – Walked in asked for application. Came back during weekday in was given a interview on the spot.

Negotiation Details – No negotitions

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Oakwood, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Interview Details – after applying to position listed,received a phone call for an initial interview approximately one week later.Upon completion of said phone interview,was asked to come in for a face to face interview,to which I drove almost 50 miles to attend.The interview went very well(District Managers words-not mine),at which time he then asked if I would be available to meet or talk to one of the owners;which I gladly agreed to do(and which never happened)Why do people go thru the motions and string candidates along(and in my opinion-lie to them) with no intention of following thru.

Interview Question – None really-after all my years of experience-have basically heard them all.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Interview Details – Walk in application... was hired instantly... had orientation few days later... began as a server and worked thru ranks of other lower management until I was offered a full salaried position.

Interview Question – How much do servers make?   View Answer

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2013.

Interview Details – Human resources called. Set up a phone interview. Be yourself...if you have been in the food business and are passionate and care about the company you work for....then you know you will be responsible for the entire restaurant....labor, food costs, guest satisfaction, food quality and safety...etc.

Interview Question – Never sure what we have to do to get bonus.....??   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I let them know what I wanted and was given what I asked for. This company needs AMAZING people. I should have asked for more. If you are a HARD worker that TAKES your JOB SERIOUS....then this is the company to work for....so much room for growth!

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2011.

Interview Details – Well, interview with DM, HR Manager. 8 week training program

Interviews for Top Jobs at Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake interview questions and advice. All 46 interview reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees and interview candidates.