Steak n Shake

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Steak n Shake.

The process only took a couple of weeks. The interview focused more on what I wanted to do with my future since it was only a part-time job. We also discussed how working as a server could benefit my future professional and academic career. They were mainly making sure I had the ability to communicate and would be able to perform a job such as serving.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions involved how I would handle different scenarios with customers, coworkers, etc.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

I applied online and I got a call back the next day to come in for an interview. The manager told me that if I wanted to work for them that I had to change my hair color. Got a call back two weeks later for a second interview, in that interview she told me that she lost my paperwork or she would have hired me sooner. She offered me a fountain operator position, and I accepted. I called for the next whole week to try to figure out when I needed to come in, finally was told to come in the next day. No training at all. You're basically on your own.

No training.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2014.

I applied on snag a jobs. Then I went up there on tuesday and met one of the mangers and told her I was checking on my application and she said come Thursday at 5 so Bryan our hiring manger can interview you. So I did. And waited 2 hours for Bryan he never showed up. He got stuck in traffic they said. And told me to come back the following Thursday so I did and I waited 45 mins for him to arrive and saw him interact with customers. Then he asked my name and sat me at a table in the back. And asked me questions about myself nothing to hard though. Then he said you're 16 have little experience but neither did I when I started working here at that age so I'm going to give you a chance. He started telling me about himself and making jokes. Had me sign papers and told me the policies and that I need to purchase my own uniform and that orientation is Monday. And today is Saturday and I'm excited to start. I'm going to Walmart to get my uniform tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Why steak n shake? Why not McDonald's or taco bell? Why here?   View Answer
    • Why do you need the money?   View Answer

Fountain Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenfield, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenfield, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake in September 2014.

I was not called by Steak 'n Shake I had to call this particular one to even get an interview but they scheduled one right on the spot. The interview process was pretty drawn out. I did have purple hair at the time and they made me dye it as most places would I'm sure. It was a very detailed interview process. There were three booklets and a lot was explained and once you're hired you have to train for two weeks which is actually really great because it gives you a chance to really get a feel for your station. I like the job and I enjoyed how thorough they were with letting you know how things were ran. I would recommend working at Steak 'n Shake for someone still in school.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation phase.

Restaurant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2013.

Was contacted by a head hunter, had my application on line. They offered me a lower position then I was currently working, but a higher pay rate. All questions typical; work history, willingness to transfer, why was I willing to make a career change, best/worst experiences, etc. Two phone calls with head hunter, two with district manager, one formal interview, and a real job preview. Number of phone calls were based on my working 6-7 days a week at my previous employer. Received $1000 more than I asked for. Back ground check and drug check. Approximately 2 weeks from first call to job offer (my schedule restrictions were a big part of this delay). Started 2 weeks later on my first availability date.

Interview Questions
    • What did I know about this company, its back ground, current state and future outlook that made it different from the job I was trying to leave?   View Answer
    The formal application had a place for a salary range. I received $1000 more than I asked for without negotiations.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in July 2012.

Applied online, contacted a week later. Two interviews, one with the GM, second with Service Manager. Contacted and sent to introductory training less than a week after my second interview. Began training the next week for about a week.

Interview Questions
    • "what do you think about when you're alone in the car?"   Answer Question

Fountain Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Applied on Snagajob.com and was called the next day to come and fill out an application. I was interviewed a few days later. My interview was hardly an interview. I was asked about my previous job then was told the duties of the job I applied for and got a tour of the restaurant. I was given a day that I had to go to an orientation (about 2 weeks after my interview)that took about 4-5 hours when it was only suppose to take 2. We waited just about 2 hours for a couple people who were late. Seriously?...Anyways, after the orientation I was told to come in on a specific day to start my training.

Run.

Fryer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in August 2014.

The interview process was easy. Got a call back within the hour after I had applied. Went in the next day sat and talked to the manager and everyone was really friendly. Loved the enthusiasm.

Food Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2010.

Turned in application in person, recieved call to come in for interview. Wore khakis and nice t-shirt. Asked a few questions about availability, why I would like to work at Steak N' Shake and if they thought I could handle the job. I did not have any other work experience at the time (I was 16)

Interview Questions
    • I do not beleive there was any outlandish questions, I think they were more evaluating my ability to communicate, smile, and show up to the interview dresses appropriately.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Face to face interview with District Manager, Phone Interview with Recruiter, 4-hr Job Shadow, Interview with Division President, Drug Test, Background Check. The whole process took 1 week. The background check took a little longer because I liked in a couple of different cities.

Interview Questions
    • Just the standard interview questions from an interview guide. Very laid back interview.   Answer Question
    The pay was better than what I expected. They do pay well for experience. He made sure that pay was okay for me so I am sure you could negotiate.