Steak n Shake

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

I went in with my friend to turn in there application, watched the manager take over the application with him and said" I will send it to the big boss".

So i like 'oh what the heck' to myself. So I asked for an application, my friend left me there, I filled it out in front of the managers face, handed it to him, he interviewed me right on the spot and was very impressed! So then he like " hold on a few minutes, let me go ask the other manager when he will be back in next". Then one of the cooks came up to me all shy and said"soo, you interested in a job here, ........., oh' your lucky, he's the mean one and we have 3 bosses" "he likes you(the manager)".

Then the manager came back out and said " can you be here tomorrow at 4:00PM, arrive at 3:30PM tho.

Then i came in the next day, 3:29PM and waited till around 4, 4:15 and Met the other manager, " he said I came HIGHLY Recommened by the first boss, and he must of really liked you to give you a second interview"

I will give you a call tomorrow after I hear back from the other manager.

Interview Questions
    • Average normal questions: 1. Do you consider yourself a people person?
                                                        2. Tell me more about yourself?
                                                        3. What do you like to do in your free time?
                                                        4. How would you handle this situation? "........................................"
                                                        5. What makes you think your good enough for this job?
                                                        6. Think you can handle it?
                                                        7. This is a high energy, demanding, job. are you reliable?
                                                        8.Do you have any serving experience?
                                                        9. Customers always right. How would you keep there orders right?
                                                       10. Why apply to work here? why Steak-N-Shake?

View Answer
    none

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call to set up an in person interview. The interview went well and I was asked to go and observe operations the next day. After a background check I was hired. Process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    They offered $45,000 and I accepted.

Grill Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in April 2014.

2 interviews one with GM one with kitchen manager, orientation with district manager flew through everthing didn't really answer questions on papers like you should have just had us as a group check each one.

Interview Questions
    my pay i needed at least 10/hr but they could only give me 9/hr.

Drive-Thru Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in March 2014.

wasn't all that great my application was even lost and i had to call back or i probably never would have been hired. This is a very poor way of keeping things together honestly had me wondering if i really wonted to work there.

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Steak n Shake.

Walked in asked for application. Came back during weekday in was given a interview on the spot.

No negotitions

Cook Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

Easy interview setting. Brought in as a group and then interviewed independently. Asked questions about availability work . Had to wait a while for the Manager to get to you to interview. If hired, must purchase black pants, shoes and button down colored shirt.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Job geered towards kids and students. Basic questions concerning prior work history and availability. Easier to get in if you can work early morning or overnight   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2014.

All I did was come in and talk to some of the workers there and they said they needed people there. I kind of talked myself up, filled out an application, and got an interview a week later. I interviewed with an assistant and general manager. They contacted me a MONTH later because they were forgetful.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about your experience and the type of person you are. They didn't ask you for anything too complicated.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

after applying to position listed,received a phone call for an initial interview approximately one week later.Upon completion of said phone interview,was asked to come in for a face to face interview,to which I drove almost 50 miles to attend.The interview went very well(District Managers words-not mine),at which time he then asked if I would be available to meet or talk to one of the owners;which I gladly agreed to do(and which never happened)Why do people go thru the motions and string candidates along(and in my opinion-lie to them) with no intention of following thru.

Interview Questions
    • None really-after all my years of experience-have basically heard them all.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Face to face interview with District Manager, Phone Interview with Recruiter, 4-hr Job Shadow, Interview with Division President, Drug Test, Background Check. The whole process took 1 week. The background check took a little longer because I liked in a couple of different cities.

Interview Questions
    • Just the standard interview questions from an interview guide. Very laid back interview.   Answer Question
    The pay was better than what I expected. They do pay well for experience. He made sure that pay was okay for me so I am sure you could negotiate.

Grill Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pooler, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pooler, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Easy fast fun and I knew somebody who worked there and who was doing the hiring. So I got the job off top

Interview Questions
    • Having t learn the vision and mission quote on the front and the back of the card. You have to memorize it   Answer Question