Steak n Shake

Very Easy Interview

Grill Cook Interview

Grill Cook
Pooler, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in January 2014.

Interview Details – Easy fast fun and I knew somebody who worked there and who was doing the hiring. So I got the job off top

Interview Question – Having t learn the vision and mission quote on the front and the back of the card. You have to memorize it   Answer Question

Steak N Shake Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – Short phone interview-to schedule the initial face to face interview. Big in Job Fair settings and Open House walk-ins. Interviewer looking for appearance standards, shaved, no gum, clean tie and shirt. Sleeves not rolled. Shoes clean, proper business attire-suit jacket optional. posture and demeanor-hand shake firm, and eye contact .Have questions of your own prepared, and if left waiting -BE PATIENT. Do not interrupt-calm cool collected demeanor. Be prepared to explain gaps in employment or jobs where you did not stay for long.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself" or "why steak n shake"
The Tell me about yourself is an HR question designed to gauge character and honesty, and your own opinion of your self.
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – far too many inconsistencies in the training materials and the units who implemented the training

General Manager Interview

General Manager

Interviewed at Steak n Shake

Interview Details – 8 hour Job preview. "GET TO WORK"

Interview Question – What standard do you set for yourself?   Answer Question

Server

I applied in-person and interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – the hiring process was easy they just interview me and my sister at the same time and on the same day they hired a bunch of people and after two weeks only the good ones stayed and the bad ones where fired

Interview Question – no difficult question just be yourself   Answer Question

Host Interview

Algonquin, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Steak n Shake in February 2010.

Interview Details – dress professional, yes it is still a job interview not a casual outing with friends, managers are not the first ones to see you or always ask you questions and they take into consideration what other employees thought about you and your appearance

Interview Question – what do you have in terms of experience that makes you stand out from all the other candidates?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Steak n Shake

Interview Details – I applied to Steak 'n Shake by submitting a paper application in person, and one of the associate managers came out immediately and asked if I could come in for an interview, which I scheduled for a few days later. The GM interviewed me on the scheduled day, interview was fairly relaxed but as it was my first job interview I was somewhat nervous. I was told that I would be hired if I passed a background check, which unfortunately took a while. By the time news of a successful background check came I'd already been hired as a stock boy at a supermarket, but quit that job due to physical reasons. I went to Steak 'n Shake the next day and was told them I was available, they scheduled me for training starting the next day.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a situation in which you confronted an unexpected challenge and how you overcame it."-Typical interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really no negotiation, they offered me a job and I accepted. Base pay is $3.70, the same for all servers, and the amount of tips depends (mostly) on the number of tables taken.

Columbus, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview itself was not hard. The person interviewing me asked questions as though trying to make sure I was normal. After that interview I got a call for a second interview. She asked questions along the lines of how would handle this situation. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer that is upset with his order?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Earn tips.

Server/Host Interview

Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Steak n Shake in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewing at these restaurants is the typical stuff....they just want to make sure you're not high or having withdrawals during the interview.

Interview Question – Nothing....standard interview.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lewis Center, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied and hired as a busser within a Couple weeks. The interview was super laid back; real casual. It was my first job.

Interview Question – Nothing too wild. Be sure to know how to talk about yourself and what your reason is for wanting the job.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Steak n Shake.

Interview Details – I completed an online application, including attaching a resume. Regular application including a personality test. Received a phone call about an interview two weeks after filing. The interviewers were very pleasant, really felt like a chat, but very professional. I was applying for assistant manager, but was offered an hourly position. However the interviewers were very positive and talked about the many chances for growth,

Interview Question – There wasn't anything unexpected or difficult, mainly questions about experience.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Steak n Shake

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Steak n Shake interview questions and advice. All 46 interview reviews posted anonymously by Steak n Shake employees and interview candidates.